Peyton Manning vs Charles Woodson Twitter Poll.

When is the last time a defensive player actually won the award besides Woodson? Yankees high jacked it that year. Couldn't let the (trailer park frenzy) have such a prestigious award. Biggest farce ever.

Reactions: Carl Pickens
Peyton definitely deserved it but interesting to see how the game has changed. A 60% completion % is now considered sub par. I’m sure it has to do with a lot more short passes today and new rules created each year that make it harder for defenses to play.

It was not unusual at all for QB’s to be completing passes in the 50% in the 90’s in college football. Tee Martin completed, I think, 56% of his passes. Michael Bishop, the KSU star QB and Heisman finalist in. ‘98, had an even lower completion %.

Also, in 1997, there were LOTS of dropped passes. I like rewatching games from 1997, as it was the first year I was truly into college football, and receivers were dropping balls left and right for Peyton. A couple of his passes that should have been caught were tipped into the air and intercepted.

1997 was definitely Peyton’s best year at UT, but his best statistical year, efficiency-wise, was 1995.

Reactions: Volizona
The committee’s decision in 1997 was a massive loss for the Heisman, and nothing more than a missed crown jewel for Manning. Peyton has been one of the most marketed athletes in history, and “Heisman Trophy Winner” would’ve been synonymous with his name.

The day the legitimacy of the Heisman died
Damn right it was and I have never watched it since, nor will I ever again! It was an absolute joke that espn gave that award to Woodson! He was just an average player at best and should have never been voted into the hof.

Damn right it was and I have never watched it since, nor will I ever again! It was an absolute joke that espn gave that award to Woodson! He was just an average player at best and should have never been voted into the hof.
He was an eight time all pro. Stop with the nonsense that he shouldn’t be in the hall of fame.

Good grief, the guy was all pro many times ....
Let it freaking go...1997 isn't coming back...

I don't have a twitter/X account anymore...I hated it....So no voting for me on this one but vote my children VOTE!!

The Heisman Trophy is a disaster almost every year and a BIG reason why is that it is awarded before Post Season.

Why does it matter? Some leagues/schedules are softer than others because the # of teams/conferences was too large to allow regular cross-play against other teams.

How many times has a Pac12 or Big12 QB won it (usually at Oklahoma or USC) to go on and get shut down in a game once they played a real defense from B1G or SEC? I mean Caleb Williams last year was a stupid Heisman pick, they lost to stinking Tulane and he hasn't done jack this year.

This is why most of the Heisman winners bust in the NFL because they really aren't that good. It is one of the most inefficient awarding system in all of sports. If they would wait to award it in January, that might solve some of their headaches. The consolidation of the leagues into 2 major leagues may also lead to more cross-national games to solve some of the issues above as well.

Do your thing, Volnation. Vote and retweet. If you need to join Twitter to vote, you are morally obligated to do so.

Watched this last night.

Woodson was very deserving of awards. But the Heistman should go to the best offensive player, and overall most well rounded CFB player.

Once the mechanisms of ESPN rolled in favor of Woodson, it was over. Woodson had two or three great plays in big games, and what he did was outstanding.

Peyton was ho hum and too business like to win this. By his own lack of flash, and taking care of business it appears he didnt lose the award, he just didn't win it.

That said, in looking at those numbers. There is no reason he shouldnt have won that award. It was simply because he was who he was, the marketing wasnt there, and he didnt do the political thing. I cannot blame him for not referring to himself as 'the best player in CFB.' And I will always respect him for that.

VN Store

Back