Playoffs: And now extended playoffs

I rarely agree with John Adams but he hit the nail on the head in an article I read this morning. The gist of it was that many fans are upset about where college football has gone and they don’t understand it. His summary was simple. With NIL and the transfer portal (free agency), it is now simply pro sports and it is never going back to the “old days”. As long as you understand that concept, people can deal with it. The NFL is the most popular sport. Not for me but there are a lot of folks like it that way. As the pro concept takes more control of the college game, I guess we’ll see if the growth in interest continues.
Biggest difference is the nfl is an international product and growing. Cfb is national and regional. The modeling of cfb after the nfl is a recipe for distaster and ultimately failure. And I hate it. I love both because they are different.

Reactions: Delmar
Expansion will continue and when it is all said and done the SEC will be a figure head term or dome for two conferences with 9 or ten teams maybe more. For the last ten years I would chuckle as teams would win the east or west and was not considered some sort of conference champion but only a DIVISION champion. The SECCG is little more than an extra game to add power ranking to the winner and some years even the loser. That trend will continue who knows perhaps an extra round with the 4 team playoff will happen.

Perhaps for you. And maybe that's why maybe it feels, to you, like it could be true for the rest of us.

But it's not. According to sources like Bloomberg, college football viewership is up 12% in 2023 over the previous year, and is up 28% over the past five years.

In other words, it is becoming MORE popular, not less.

But again, perhaps for you. Tastes, personal interests, come and go.

Go Vols!

It’s not for me, or I probably would not be on this board. That being said, I think it is too early to judge the effects of the NIL and transfer portal (not to mention ticket prices). There are a lot of people that are put off by the state of college football. Will it actually show up and viewership and attendance… I guess we will see but I think it probably will not have much of an effect if any.

VN Store

Back