Positives and Negatives from our first real game of the year

oregonvol

Positives:
Our defense is much improved from last year. We were really good on first down. Our defensive line got good push on runnning plays and our DBs and LBs made big plays. Sutton is playing very well for a true freshman CB.

Our offensive line was solid in the run game. They weren't dominant, but they've never been dominant in the run game. Last year we had to pass to set up the run, in this game we were able to run first.

We actually improved in the second half.

Negatives:

Our passing game is awful. It seems like it's mostly Worley (that last interception he threw was awful, but so were most of the balls he threw). I can't recall seeing a UT team with such a bad passing game ever have a winning season.

Our defense really couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, even with like 3rd & 13, 3rd &14, etc.

Special teams breakdowns like the blocked punt really don't suggest a well coached team.

Reactions: 1 person
I agree with all your positives. The defensive line actually looks like a strength of the team this year. It's the linebackers and secondary in coverage that still needs some work. The offensive line appears to be much better in run blocking. Lane and Neal are like night and day from last year. They are running much more aggressively and finishing off runs; that's all coaching.

I think this team is much more well-coached than last year. The halftime adjustments were obvious and positive. Two penalties in 2 games.

Reactions: 5 people
Need more pressure on QB. Oregon will cut our D up if we can't disrupt their execution.

Edit: Case in point...did yall see Thomas make that run after the pick? Man.

Last edited:
Positives:
Our defense is much improved from last year. We were really good on first down. Our defensive line got good push on runnning plays and our DBs and LBs made big plays. Sutton is playing very well for a true freshman CB.

Our offensive line was solid in the run game. They weren't dominant, but they've never been dominant in the run game. Last year we had to pass to set up the run, in this game we were able to run first.

Negatives:

Our passing game is awful. It seems like it's mostly Worley (that last interception he threw was awful, but so were most of the balls he threw). I can't recall seeing a UT team with such a bad passing game ever have a winning season.

Our defense really couldn't get off the field on 3rd down, even with like 3rd & 13, 3rd &14, etc.

Special teams breakdowns like the blocked punt really don't suggest a well coached team.

2 penalties in two games signifies a well coach team 1 of those penalties questionable.....

2nd half adjustments Indicate a well coach team....

No quit in this team indicates a well coach team....

Return game after losing D Young indicates a well coach team.

Putting up seven TOs against a B Petrino team tells me that the staff did,a good job preparing these players for the game.....

A prepared team indicates a well coached team....

You point to A blocked punt of a kicker that has had more blocked kicks in his career than some tennessee teams have incurred in 2 decades....as a matter of coaching....Leverton is the only one even close to him....

I beg to differ with you and you should take this opinion to the dumpster.....

Worley's arm strength and the two dropped passes are of my concern at present.....

Adjustments will be made during the week.....you don't think CBJ will sit on his butt and live on these two wins....no.....things out of his control be adjusted.....coaching is not our problem.....right now it is depth, talent, youth and QB arm strength....of which he has no control and must work around....

Last edited:
Reactions: 3 people
Overall good aggressive game... although...
TN def backs playing to far off ball. A good team will slice and dice us...

The qtb play please stay with short passes ..screens etc. Worley cannot throw the deep balls. Ouch.. he will get mutilated...

Positives:

Negatives:

You contradict yourself with the...we actually improved in second (which indicates a well coached team)...and your comment about the special teams and were not well coached...ridiculous

This team is night and day difference in being coached better...we dominated a team we should've and only had 2 penalties...Worley struggled some but then kept making throws and finished 11-19...I was impressed with the drive he put together AFTER the INT...made a hell of a throw on the personal foul call...he is a leader and is confident enough to not let an error derail him...he is mentally tough and that is a good thing...

Reactions: 2 people
I agree with all your positives. The defensive line actually looks like a strength of the team this year. It's the linebackers and secondary in coverage that still needs some work. The offensive line appears to be much better in run blocking. Lane and Neal are like night and day from last year. They are running much more aggressively and finishing off runs; that's all coaching.

I think this team is much more well-coached than last year. The halftime adjustments were obvious and positive. Two penalties in 2 games.

AJ needs to work on pass coverage (zone and man).

U can tell the younger Vol fans from the older ones. Ain't no way older Vol fans consider WKU a "real opponent".

for the first time in their careers at Tennessee these guys have a real coach guiding them. . .I believe they will do nothing but get better

Last edited:
Positives:

Negatives:

Worley was awful in the first half. In the 2nd half, I think the interception was the only bad thing he did.

Positives:

Negatives:

Tee Martin sucked out loud his first two games as our qb. I mean he sucked. You apparently weren't born or you can't remember.

for the first time in their careers at Tennessee these guys have a real coaches guiding them. . .I believe they will do nothing but get better

And I guarantee you Butch & Co. can find as many negatives as positives in this game. UT was able to capitalize on WKU turnovers which is good, but the last few minutes of the 1st half was downright crazy.

I'll take a win any day of the week, and I'll take a coach that can look past the score and make this team better.

VN Store

Back