Possible Solution To Helping Athletes Financially

I agree but that's the problem. As long as you do not have a financial incentive inside these institutions, you will forever have the issue of outside boosters and agents giving these kids money. The NCAA should set up policies that allow for schools to pay athletes fairly across the board in an appropriate way and harshly punish athletes that take outside benefits.

So, someone can get paid by the school as long schools and the NCAA agree but by terms the player never agreed with nor negotiated with all parties in open dialogue?

I am sure the oil companies wish they could collude to set Oil at $10 a gallon, I have no idea why the sports industry gets a free pass on an obvious and open criminal process and system.

They don't care about the players and they don't care about giving up some money, but these suggestions are danger of control and control of the revenue streams.

Reactions: 1 person
So, the obvious question, if they are paid, wouldn't this hurt small college sports? Whoever pays the most, gets the best players?

Instances like this further the argument to pay collegiate players. What I don't like about it, the cost will be passed on to ticketholder's. Eventually people are gonna say screw this, I'll sit in my recliner drinkin my beer, smoke (if you do that) and watch the game on my 60" high def tv for free. I personally think the ticket price is high to begin with.

So, the obvious question, if they are paid, wouldn't this hurt small college sports? Whoever pays the most, gets the best players?

Its already happening with super conferences, TV packages and Conference networks.. It called Capitalism

So a smaller school believes they can be in a system/process which colludes, blacklist and/or otherwise is involved in a racket with justification being they will be hurt otherwise.

First, I will acknowledge that in a group of athletes, as in our society in general, there will be a certain number prone to cheating, no matter what legal solution is available.

In the situation we now find ourselves with the Yahoo story, if true, indicates rules were broken. The rules are known, and there is no acceptable excuse for breaking them. However, it has been suggested by some that Mo Couch needed money due to financial burdens of being married and having a child to care for.

I do not agree with paying athletes. They get a free ride to play the games they love, with an opportunity to make lots of money later.

However, the NCAA could authorize each school to set up a fund with a maximum amount so that every school could afford it; make it fully transparent with oversight by a combination of athletic department and academic personnel monitoring and approving any transaction. The fund would be used for emergencies or urgent needs by athletes and could be administered as loans or as gifts, but would possibly eliminated some instances of athletes turning to sleazeballs for money needs. All transactions would be reported to NCAA monthly or weekly in order for any individual transaction to be investigated, if necessary.

This would take away the excuse of needing money with nowhere to turn, and coaches would have a legal means of helping players take care of problems.

Details could be refined, but it would be a start.

That is the best solution!!!! Your idea works.

This craziness that some are talking about to actually pay players is foolish. Let's suppose that the players do get paid an allowance of $6,000 per season.

Then the female athletes of every university will want to get paid also. However; with the exception of basketball, none of the female sports has sizable profit. Soccer, Rowing, Tennis, Swim & Diving, Track & Field, Volleyball etc. etc.

So, now we either (1) Take the monies from football, men and womens basketball and pay every athlete that plays college athletics. OR (2) the players who are not getting paid will sue the NCAA or University...

Can the football and men & womens basketball programs financially support the other sports on campus when they have to pay all athletes?

No!!!!!

So, then the university will drop all college sports that don't generate a profit. So, the soccer, rowing, etc. programs get dropped because there is not enough money generated to pay ALL college athletes.

Then people will complain. "Why did soccer get dropped as a sport at U.T."

Paying college athletes is inevitable.

They will never wipe out a year's eligibility because these kids are the show. You think the networks are gonna be cool with Johnny Manziel NOT playing this year? TV runs this sport. Let's admit this.

We will pay college athletes. The media is now behind it and it we really just can't do this charade any more. It's not a matter of ""If" it's a matter of "When."

JMO GBO

I somewhat agree, but they suspended Dez Bryant his entire senior year, and he was the best player on that team. It is not out of the question for them to suspend great players for a length of time.

I have been, and always will be, in favor of not allowing college players to profit while in college. That is why we have the professional game. It will open up everything if that is allowed. I understand the argument, but regular students who work for the university don't get paid big bucks for their research. They may get paid over minimum wage, but they also don't work full-time.

I am open to some sort of stipend. I heard a suggestion on the radio that you take a reasonable hourly rate and multiply it by 20 hours (which is around the maximum number of hours that students work for university jobs). Then, calculate the monthly rate, and that is the amount they should be paid.

Also with all of this is the Title IX issues. If football players are paid, then all student athletes will be paid. It gets expensive for smaller schools. If this happens, I am guessing you will see a contraction of D1 schools instead of the expansion that we have been seeing. JMO.

Do people forget that the AD was working in the Red for a period of time?

How and where would the money come from?

Still is not going to prevent rogue boosters or anyone from paying them more under the table to go to their school

Paying players is just not going to solve it

Not only that, but if players were paid any % of ticket sales or revenue to the athletic dept, it would be a disaster of epic proportions. Why? Can you imagine the recruiting advantage of big budget schools versus lower budget schools?

Also, no matter how much you pay college athletes, some agent or booster will come along to offer more. Again, disaster.

1. What the college sports system is, is a criminal enterprise, in any other industry other than sports these people would be criminally and civilly prosecuted, I have no idea why they get a free pass... politics
2. Any pay to play solution does not help #1, which is the problem, so it's no solution
3. Number 2 actually just exposes the scam for what it is, a racket
4. Number 2 places in jeopardy the revenue scam in #1
5. I expect no major change unless an outside entity forces the dismantling of #1

I don't remember seeing anyone from the Sopranos turn themselves in, let alone the whole gang at one time. This has never been about kids getting money, it's about control and more importantly, control of the revenue stream.

Reactions: 1 person
The problem is most people don't want to hear the truth... which is this whole sports thing in the U.S. is an unofficial sponsored criminal enterprise... if this was going on in any other industry, most of the people running these so called non-profession and/or not for profits would be facing indictments. Until someone comes in and bust this whole thing up, nothing will be solved.

You're right...no one wants to hear it. Glad to see someone else finally saying it.

1. What the college sports system is, is a criminal enterprise, in any other industry other than sports these people would be criminally and civilly prosecuted, I have no idea why they get a free pass... politics
2. Any pay to play solution does not help #1, which is the problem, so it's no solution
3. Number 2 actually just exposes the scam for what it is, a racket
4. Number 2 places in jeopardy the revenue scam in #1
5. I expect no major change unless an outside entity forces the dismantling of #1

I don't remember seeing anyone from the Sopranos turn themselves in, let alone the whole gang at one time. This has never been about kids getting money, it's about control and more importantly, control of the revenue stream.

Then we should just dismantle College athletics all together

I tell you this. I would have given anything to have a free ride to college, but what I got, I had to pay for and earned it.

These divas think they are owed everything and we make it worse by encouraging it

I got a solution. Let them get paid minimum wage, just like most other college students working a job.

Then, drop all scholarships except the ones received because of academics. Make them pay their way just like the rest of us had to

Then, watch how many wish they would have played their 4 years and had stfu

Then we should just dismantle College athletics all together

I tell you this. I would have given anything to have a free ride to college, but what I got, I had to pay for and earned it.

These divas think they are owed everything and we make it worse by encouraging it
They're making a lot of fat execs rich while laying life and limb on the line. Personally, I think they deserve a little cut of the loot.

I got a solution. Let them get paid minimum wage, just like most other college students working a job.

Then, drop all scholarships except the ones received because of academics. Make them pay their way just like the rest of us had to
We already have this, it's called Division III football, or it use to be. Anyway, it generates virtually no revenue because it has no demand behind it.

Then, watch how many wish they would have played their 4 years and had stfu

I think it's like everything else and will evolve into a more fair and equitable system with time. But you can't ignore the fundamental forces of supply and demand. All systems evolve via a universal pattern, primarily to transcend what came before, while also including what came before. This imbalanced system will follow that pattern, and we are likely seeing the labor pangs of the new system coming, IMO.

Are CFB players allowed to carry a PT job in college?

Sure, why not. They are in the film room at 6:30-7am, have team meetings for a few hours, then head off to classes. After class they get some time to study, do homework etc. Then they get taped up for practice and hit the field for a few hours. After that they may hit the weights or do some other conditioning a couple of times each week. Then they get to go back to their dorm room and hit the books until they go to sleep. Seems like they would have plenty of time to work.

I think there should be, at least some sort of financial assistance (perhaps loans) for players who have children and wives. This would not be hard to do because students already get financial aid for school. Because the majority of students athletes are not married and don't have children this doesn't seem too big a stretch. These would be special cases and would not apply to single student athlete living on campus who already have financial assistance in the form of loans.

Paying college athletes is inevitable.

They will never wipe out a year's eligibility because these kids are the show. You think the networks are gonna be cool with Johnny Manziel NOT playing this year? TV runs this sport. Let's admit this.

We will pay college athletes. The media is now behind it and it we really just can't do this charade any more. It's not a matter of ""If" it's a matter of "When."

JMO GBO
It may happen but only a handful of colleges and universities will be able to financially sustain it. You don't just pay football players. You have bball, baseball, softball, track and field, soccer, swimming and diving, rifle, etc. You pay one you pay all and that means athletic departments going broke and collegiate sports disappearing.

It may happen but only a handful of colleges and universities will be able to financially sustain it. You don't just pay football players. You have bball, baseball, softball, track and field, soccer, swimming and diving, rifle, etc. You pay one you pay all and that means athletic departments going broke and collegiate sports disappearing.

Yep

And once the NCAA is dissolved, then there is nothing to protect these other sports.

The best thing to happen would be if the NFL had their own farm system so kids could go straight to there instead of having to go to college. Then you would truly be giving scholarships to kids who want to graduate and earn a degree.

VN Store

Back