Pretty Amazing Set of Stats

I got hooked on the Vols when my dad would get my transistor radio on football Saturdays and we would listen to John Ward and Bill Anderson call the game. That would have been back in the early sixties, and although being disappointed many times since then, I have never given up hope in them. And surprisingly, it's only taken Heupel his first two seasons to getting some on here angry when we aren't undefeated, ranked number 1, and in line to win a national championship. I'm just happy to see the improvement the coaching staff has made in roughly 2 and a half seasons. Let's just enjoy the ride, I believe it's only gonna get better.

It's hard to understate the Nick Saban effect. Tennessee basically started off 0-1 in the SEC every year, thanks to the singular pleasure that is the permanent cross-divison Alabama game. No other team from the East had to deal with that. Then you add in the turmoil from coaching changes as Tennessee thrashed its way through mediocrity, and there you have it. Georgia fenced in its state, Florida hired a great coach, and that hung an 0-3 on us a lot of the time.

And yet, for all that misery, two things -

First, hold tight, Vol fans. When Alabama loses Saban they will implode into a black hole of stupidity trying to recapture their lost glory. We will FEAST on them, as long as we've rebuilt into a stable, top tier program. They haven't had to deal with a coaching search in almost 20 years. The last time they did, they were hiring geniuses like Dennis Franchione and Mike "It's Rolling, Baby!" Price. For all their genetic mishaps, they will share one very real trait with us - a passion for winning that demands a coach who's as good as Saban. Those toothless trailer park Tinder jockeys will devour whole every coach who comes after him. And just as we've walked the desert for decades in search of "the best." so too shall they.

Second, Josh Heupel is worth his weight in gold and if anyone tries to fire him they had better keep their window blinds lowered. Okay, that's last part's a joke. Uh. Probably. You know. I mean. Maybe.
Saban will probably retire after he breaks Bear Bryant's win record. I look for them to go after Sanders, of course that will depend on how he is doing at Colorado.

Because the winning streak, back to back nattys and #2 ranking aren’t enough evidence.
Wonder if Georgia will feel insulted when we choose not to rush the field after beating them in a few weeks. After all, it is just going to be a “return to normal” for us 😉

Reactions: cherokeeeVOL
Not sure I would call Tennessee beating Georgia at Neyland an “upset” in any given year.
You might want to seek some rehab if you're including this year. I get being loyal to the soil. But there is a fine line between loyalty and delusion. This season ANYONE beating UGA anywhere outside of the Horseshoe or Ann Arbor would undoubtedly be pulling off an upset and those 2 would be tossups in most sane people's minds.

I get we all now live in the new America where facts are optional... this ain't one of them.

Wonder if Georgia will feel insulted when we choose not to rush the field after beating them in a few weeks. After all, it is just going to be a “return to normal” for us 😉
I think they are likely pissed about the number 2 ranking but their strength of schedule is biting them in the butt. They are entering what is the hardest part of their schedule right now with 3 ranked SEC teams.. the only ranked team that had played before then was Kentucky. Even Georgia Tech is surprisingly decent this year having booted both North Carolina and Miami out of the top 10. Will any of those teams beat UGA, nah but they will strengthen its SOS. Ohio State and Michigan have arguably worse SOS over their whole schedule but higher SOS as of now. These things are very important to the CFP rankings which is why Georgia is #1 in the other 2 polls but #2 there.

I'd love an upset but realistically UT ends up 14 or 15 end of the season if we beat MIssou and Vandy. But since we play Missou after Georgia spanks em we will go into that game ranked ahead of them. This will lead to us likely going into the Georga game in the top 12 dropping to like 17 after that loss and back to around 15 after we beat Vandy and the championship games knock some ranks down.

I think they are likely pissed about the number 2 ranking but their strength of schedule is biting them in the butt. They are entering what is the hardest part of their schedule right now with 3 ranked SEC teams.. the only ranked team that had played before then was Kentucky. Even Georgia Tech is surprisingly decent this year having booted both North Carolina and Miami out of the top 10. Will any of those teams beat UGA, nah but they will strengthen its SOS. Ohio State and Michigan have arguably worse SOS over their whole schedule but higher SOS as of now. These things are very important to the CFP rankings which is why Georgia is #1 in the other 2 polls but #2 there.

I'd love an upset but realistically UT ends up 14 or 15 end of the season if we beat MIssou and Vandy. But since we play Missou after Georgia spanks em we will go into that game ranked ahead of them. This will lead to us likely going into the Georga game in the top 12 dropping to like 17 after that loss and back to around 15 after we beat Vandy and the championship games knock some ranks down.
Oh ye of little faith 😂

Technically, we were a combined 0-16 through 8 games in 2019 and 2020, since those wins were vacated.

Technically, we were a combined 0-16 through 8 games in 2019 and 2020, since those wins were vacated.
balls-kick.gif

Reactions: CaliVol2009
I sure would like to see us upset GA. Still think it will be a tough game at Mizzou, but it would be great to win out. If nothing else, think Ga will probably soften up Mizzou for us some.
It may well be a tough road game at Mizzou, but I think there is something that people are forgetting about that game - Heupel has history there and motivation to embarrass them. I think he will be focused and have the team focused on opening a large can. GBO!

It may well be a tough road game at Mizzou, but I think there is something that people are forgetting about that game - Heupel has history there and motivation to embarrass them. I think he will be focused and have the team focused on opening a large can. GBO!
I certainly hope so. I not only hope we win--but by a lot.

It takes a LOT of incompetence to take a program with this much tradition and resources and run it that far into the ground and keep it there for that long. You really have to work at it.

Oh ye of little faith 😂
Faith thats not based on facts (blind faith) is delusion. I have hope we can pull it off and know its a possibility. But its very unlikely. Last years team I had a lot more hope for. Defensively I think this team can hold them to under 30 can our offense score 30 on them? Less hope of that.

Remember in 2016 when we all thought we were going to Atlanta and the SECCG after starting out 5-3 because our only loss was to USCe in the East ???
Thought for sure that team was going 9-3 and heading to the title game...then along came VANDY !!!

Remember in 2016 when we all thought we were going to Atlanta and the SECCG after starting out 5-3 because our only loss was to USCe in the East ???
Thought for sure that team was going 9-3 and heading to the title game...then along came VANDY !!!
I think we all knew we didn’t have a great coach though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Big Al Orange
If memory is correct Florida clenched the East the week before we played vandy. Remember vol fans reacting to the news Florida had won their game winning the East during the Missouri game.

But still to beat Georgia and Florida in 2016 and not win the East is ridiculous and Butch should have been fired after the 2016 season. Heck after the South Carolina game would have been better

Reactions: IndianaVol
This is exactly why Heupel is the best coach we have had in decades.

Heupel is a good coach, but the bar was low given we hired the trolls under the bridge to run the program the prior 12 years.

VN Store

Back