Program Win #800 8/31/13

Anyone remember win No. 700? It was the last game of the 1999 regular season against Vanderbilt. We won 38-10 in Neyland Stadium. We went on to get beat by Nebraska in the Fiesta Bowl 31-21. Thirteen seasons to win the next 99 games is too long. Thats a sorry average of 7.6 wins/yr. We have had four double-digit win seasons since then and four 5-win seasons since then.

Reactions: 1 person
10 other NCAA teams currently have 800 or more wins. Yale, Harvard, and Penn are the only non-FBS teams to achieve the feat.

Michigan- 903
Yale-871
Texas-866
Notre Dame-865
Nebraska-856
Ohio State-837
Oklahoma-831
Harvard-829
Alabama-827
Penn-823
Bama and Yale:banghead2:and Harvard:banghead2:penn

Last edited:
18-19 years if we average 11 wins per year, and I can't wait to see CBJ with the plaque for #1000 after beating BAMA's arse, and lighting the victory cigar in 2031 55-0!

:dance2:

Tennesseeduke

We are not going to average 11 win in the SEC, just wont happen.:ermm:

with all those other schools that have won over 800 wins look at the quality of the opponents that they play...

And Alabama is the only other SEC team to do it, and, it's only been done since Saban has been their coach. Had they never hired Saban, I think the argument exists that they'd still be sitting at sub-800 as well. It's a pretty big feat for an SEC team to accomplish this because of the sheer competitiveness of the conference itself.

Quite true. Another factor is sheer, unadulterated longevity as a football program. I am not sure what current SEC program first fielded a football team, but it would have been quite some time after Michigan and the former Ivy League powers began to play. Michigan was playing 10-game schedules back in the early 1890s (Michigan Historical Scores), and Harvard was playing 4- to 6-game schedules back in the 1870s (Harvard Historical Scores). I don't know what the scoring system was like in those days, but Harvard scored either one or two points in five of their six victories in 1881. Yale was also playing 8-game schedules by 1882 (Yale Historical Scores), and, of course, Rutgers and Princeton played the first college football games in 1869.

Reactions: 2 people
We will be one of two schools from the SEC. Definitely an elite list. I wonder what kind of press we will get when it happens. It will be interesting to see if ESPN comments on it. Butch should use this as an opportunity for positive press to help in recruiting!

Just asking, but did ESPN have a comment for the 10 other teams?

Thanks for this MSUDuo. Your list includes those victories recognized by the NCAA. Penn State has 828 victories but more than 100 were vacated due to the recent scandal. Bama had 848 but had to vacate a couple of dozen or so because of all of their shenanigans over the years...

Saban_Slams_Muschamp.gif

This GIF is freaking awesome!

We should be able to celebrate win #800 on August 31st against Austin Peay. This is a milestone for the program though this should have happen 4 or so seasons ago. But still it's nice to have another elite statistic that is good to be a part of.

GO VOLS!!!

tumblr_m3d9pligiz1r25eyyo1_500.gif

Reactions: 1 person
The thing that amazes me is that 8 of those teams are also in the top 10 for winning percentage as well, including Tennessee

Well, those Ivy league schools were powerhouses back in the day. Hell, all of college football can be traced back to an Ivy League school.

In 2013, are they in the same football class as Bama, OSU, etc.? No. But you either look at history or you don't. You're simply picking and choosing which part of history to look at.

Is UT one of the top all-time programs? Absolutely. Have they been a top program recently, no.

:p

Last edited:
And Alabama is the only other SEC team to do it, and, it's only been done since Saban has been their coach. Had they never hired Saban, I think the argument exists that they'd still be sitting at sub-800 as well.

Actually, we've reached 800 twice.

The 2008 Iron Bowl was Alabama's 800th win (808 on the field, but we forfeited 8 wins from 1993).

In June '09 we vacated 21 wins because of the textbook deal. Which means that we reached 800 for the second time by defeating Tennessee in 2010.

Last edited:
law gator go back to the swamp, you got a few more wins to get before you can get to 800.

VN Store

Back