Prospect Harrison Smith

Sounds like you are in a better position to evaluate this situation than most/all the others on the board. It's just been a sore subject with Patrick Turner going to USC in '05 and Brandon Warren going to Fl.St. this year. If the early assessments hold up it looks like Smith and Golden Tate will be be among the the top few players in the state (star rating wise) and they could even be rated as #1 and #2 in TN. It would just be more salt in the wounds for people who take this stuff to heart, especially when one of these guys says he grew up a UT fan in K-town. That said, IMO it will probably be tough for UT to convince a guy who grew up in Knoxville to stay there for school when he has so many choices to go elsewhere and see something new. Looking at the schools that have offered Smith, if I was in his shoes, I'd probably be thinking really hard about going to Stanford.

(VolunteerHillbilly @ May 9 said:
IMO it will probably be tough for UT to convince a guy who grew up in Knoxville to stay there for school when he has so many choices to go elsewhere and see something new. Looking at the schools that have offered Smith, if I was in his shoes, I'd probably be thinking really hard about going to Stanford.

All I know is growing up as a Vol fan, if I got an offer to play for Tennessee, I'd jump at that chance. I don't care if I had lived in Neyland Stadium boiler room all of my life.

I hear you OWB, but if you had enough sense to realize that you probably would never make a dollar as a professional football player and you were looking to the future ...

I think him growing up a UTK fan and living in Knoxville (and our impending turn-around season, hopefully) that he will end up at UTK. Most kids are going to look around and "want to be wanted." But, from the interviews I have read he sounds like really would like to play for his childhood team. I think the biggest reason he hasn't committed yet is last seasons collapse. If we turn things around this season and look respectable and on our way back up he will sign with UTK. Just my opinion.

P.S. Plus he already has an offer from ND and he did not committ on the spot. That is a positive sign. If he was that die hard to want to go there then he probably would have jumped on it as soon as they offered. He didn't, so maybe we can read into that.

well apparently this kid runs a 3.94 40...that was also in that same article..i dont know if it was a missprint or what..

(Volsguy12 @ May 10 said:
well apparently this kid runs a 3.94 40...that was also in that same article..i dont know if it was a missprint or what..
it was a 3.94 short shuttle not 40 yard dash

So what's the latest? I read on Scout that he's saying Stanford is still in it. Anyone still feel confident he will be a Vol?

(VolunteerHillbilly @ May 3 said:
What's the word on this guy? Sounds like he had an awesome combine. I notice Notre Dame is listed as a school of interest on Rivals but they have not offered him. Is he ND bound if they offer?

http://scout.scout.com/a.z?s=73&p=8&am...amp;nid=2314537

http://rivals100.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=540241

#22 Harrison Smith

School Interest Level Offer? Attended Camp? Visit Date Signed LOI?
Tennessee High Interest Yes None
Notre Dame Med Interest Yes None
Stanford Med Interest Yes None
Auburn Low Interest Yes None
Boston College Low Interest Yes None
Clemson Low Interest Yes None
Virginia Tech Low Interest Yes None

Harrison Smith Receives Irish Offer

By Jeff Baumhower

Date: May 10, 2006

Harrison Smith, of Knoxville Catholic high school (Tenn.), is starting to add some impressive scholarship offers to his list of college options. The standout athlete recently spoke with the head coach at Notre Dame and received an invitation to play football in South Bend.

yeah, thanks. We're kind of past the gettin' to know you stage on HS. We're now looking for some indication on whether he'll commit to UT.

Look for Smith to ND. Not because of Weis or Fulmer. Gang the Sanders years are over!

His parents would like for him to go there because of the Degree.
Both of his parents are UTK Grads.

(Vol67 @ Jul 19 said:
Look for Smith to ND. Not because of Weis or Fulmer. Gang the Sanders years are over!

His parents would like for him to go there because of the Degree.
Both of his parents are UTK Grads.
his parents would like for him to go to ND or Stanford, but he wants to go to UT and his parents said that they would let him make his own decision.

Is a ND degree that great? I work with a couple of people who graduated there and I don't see that it's given them much of a leg up on graduates of any other school.

even if it doesnt make you that much better in the buisness world it will always look better on a resume then one from Tennessee like it or not

(volsfan711 @ Jul 19 said:
even if it doesnt make you that much better in the buisness world it will always look better on a resume then one from Tennessee like it or not
Word. In most cases I've seen, a Notre Dame degree is a good'n. Maybe not quite up there with your Stanfords, UCLAs or North Carolinas, but still pretty darn good.

I occasionally get some input in hiring decisions for professionals (lawyers) and I can honestly say that unless your degree is from Harvard or Yale, or maybe Stanford or Duke (I'm only talking about law degrees now), it really doesn't mean much to me where you went to school. I'm more interested in how you did and what you bring to the table in the way of experience.

(vols kick balls @ Jul 19 said:
his parents would like for him to go to ND or Stanford, but he wants to go to UT and his parents said that they would let him make his own decision.

His parents to ND or Stanford - His girlfriend to UT since she is going there.

VN Store

Back