Question about Oregon Game....

Flying Memphis to Portland from Friday to Monday for $345 round trip. Staying in Albany Fri and Sat night and then Portland Sun night.

5 of us are staying in Albany as well. Was cheaper than staying in Eugene. Plus I normally stay at "the next town over" when I go to away games anyway.

GoDucks, any suggestions on a place for breakfast either in Albany or Eugene?

5 of us are staying in Albany as well. Was cheaper than staying in Eugene. Plus I normally stay at "the next town over" when I go to away games anyway.

GoDucks, any suggestions on a place for breakfast either in Albany or Eugene?

FIRST: Albany is typically NOT DUCK country. It's only 10 miles from OSU and lots of OSU people live in Albany. So you'll probably get a number of people who'll wish you well in your quest to put a whuppin on the Ducks. My high school graduation was held on the OSU campus.

Dinning in Albany........ That's tough. Typical "chain restaurants" etc. Note, I haven't lived there in several decades. I do go back to visit my mother who has dementia and is in adult foster care. Let's just say my trips are more about my mother than food. So I don't eat there very often. I will tell you that "Allann Bros" also known as "The Beanery" or the "I-5 Beanery" has excellent coffee and I think they have a decent food menu as well. Don't know if they do breakfast.

Best "road side attraction" in Albany should you have time is the Brass Ring Carousel. Not long ago Parade Mag did a article about the carousel. The art work, carving and volunteers carvers are a pretty nice story. It's worth a 30 minute visit.

Historic Carousel & Museum, Albany Oregon

As for Eugene, I'd recommend the Glenwood Cafe or Keystone Cafe for breakfast. If you like a good espresso, check out Wandering Goat in Eugene.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks for the advice man; and hope things are well with your mom, I'm sure that's rough.

One more question. We were thinking about going to the coast on Friday and checking out a town or two. Right now we're looking at Newport. Any suggestions on that?

Thanks for the advice man; and hope things are well with your mom, I'm sure that's rough.

One more question. We were thinking about going to the coast on Friday and checking out a town or two. Right now we're looking at Newport. Any suggestions on that?

Newport is awesome, better visit the Rogue Brewery!!! About and 1 hour south on tje coast is the Hecetahead Lighthouse, newly restored, awesome little place.

Flying into Eugene and staying at the Hilton downtown. Used frequent flyer miles and hotel points.

Thanks, she's doing as well as can be expected for 92 years old with dementia. I'll tell you one "mom" story. Have you ever watched "Mad Men"? If you have you know the work environment my mom worked in. She was the first woman manager in a major grocery store chain (still around today and publicly traded), the first time she went to a "Managers meeting" was the last time they had strippers for the meeting.

Newport is about an hour drive West of Albany, Old town Newport seems to be the best place for food, bars, and art galleries. As for the "Beach" experience, check out Nye beach in Newport, it's a nice beach. Just remember the Pacific is cold up here and we have some rip tides in places. Not great for swimming in the ocean if that's what you were thinking. Still September can be very beautiful on the Oregon coast.

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Thanks. Wasn't looking to swim or anything just want to sightsee a little. Really looking forward to the trip.

Thanks. Wasn't looking to swim or anything just want to sightsee a little. Really looking forward to the trip.

Just remembered, in Newport, check out the aquarium. Pretty cool actually. Remember Kieko the killer whale that they made a movie about some time ago, "Free Willy", he did his rehab at the Oregon Aquarium before being released back into the wild.

Newport, Oregon | Oregon Coast Aquarium

Reactions: 2 people
Curious why you're staying in Albany.... I grew up there.

Flying in late Friday night (landing at 11:30pm or so) and didn't think there would be anything in Eugene available when we booked the rooms. It seemed to be halfway between Portland and Eugene. We plan on just waking up really early and driving into Eugene.

Bad plan? :unsure:

Sounds like you guys have the same plans as us. :hi: :rock:

GoDucks, we were hoping to maybe see some redwoods. Anywhere to see these without traveling too far? Probably one of the only times we will be visiting this area so we want to see everything we can, especially nature-wise.

Sunday and first half of Monday are our sightseeing days. Sunday night and Monday we will be in Portland.

VN Store

Back