Question bout present roster

True, but Kiffin's skill guys were better and having Eric Berry and Janzen Jackson in the back of the defense covered up a lot.
Kiffin recruited Janzen. Technically he didnt inherit him

True, but Kiffin's skill guys were better and having Eric Berry and Janzen Jackson in the back of the defense covered up a lot.

Kiffin had a few good players, but as far as talent from top to bottom he probably had the least of the 3 coaches.

Truth is that Kiff had the best skill players; Butch has the best Front 7s.
Dooley actually did his best coaching job by far in his first year; but for a couple boneheaded coaching/officiating mistakes, we win 8 games that year.

I disagree. Dooley's first team was horrid. Kiffin even acknowledged that 2010 was going to be the tough year.

A lot of talent turned up that year. Most of our Oline, Bray, Hunter, Da'ricky etc. Young I agree. But we're talkin talent.

Agree to disagree I reckon

Truth is that Kiff had the best skill players; Butch has the best Front 7s.
Dooley actually did his best coaching job by far in his first year; but for a couple boneheaded coaching/officiating mistakes, we win 8 games that year.

No one would've called Crompton anything but awful until Kiffin coached him up. Receivers were ok. Hardesty was good. I dislike Kiffin as much as anyone, but what he and his daddy did that year with what they had was impressive

This is a very good post. I say butch has a good team to work with, and that means Dooley left us well. So, thank you coach Dooley, for all you did.

Kiff, Jones, Dooley in that order.

Dooley somehow managed to lose two games his first year he technically won and just never recovered. Dooley is the Charlie Brown of Tennessee Football.

No one would've called Crompton anything but awful until Kiffin coached him up. Receivers were ok. Hardesty was good. I dislike Kiffin as much as anyone, but what he and his daddy did that year with what they had was impressive

THIS. I can't stand that snake but what he did with Crompton was amazing! (That still does not change the fact that I will aways hate that guy)

Which coach inherited the best roster for their first year

Kiffen
Dooley or
Butch

there is/was not enough difference for it to matter one way or the other.. not nickel's worth of difference in roster for any of the 3 coaches. jmo

CBJ definitely has the most talented group in the trenches. Kiffin probably had more talent at the skill positions. We'll have to see if somebody steps up at QB, or if any of these 4* WRs pan out.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

there is/was not enough difference for it to matter one way or the other.. not nickel's worth of difference in roster for any of the 3 coaches. jmo

I felt like CBJ may have a few more players (not QB of course) but he has a more difficult schedule...that counted it may be a wash

Totally agree! Going into that season we had essentially Eric Berry and question marks everywhere else. Guys like Hardesty, D. Moore, G. Jones, D. Williams, and W. Brown really hadn't done much before the season. We saw their talent emerge under Kiffin and his staff.

Reactions: 1 person

VN Store

Back