Question for the older Vols?

It might have been Townsend’s senior year, but Cafego actually had a custom shoe made for Ricky with the laces on the side. I don’t recall how much it was worn but I was disappointed when it was announced. The barefoot kicking was quite unique.
more than unique. Stud-ly is a word I made up for it.

I had an "all-timer" in the other direction for my first in-person UT game - 1979 Rutgers at Tennessee.
The infamous "What Are Rutgers?" game. That team stomped Auburn, ran Notre Dame off the field, and should have beaten Bama...and lost to Rutgers. Ugh.

Rutgers actually wasn't a bad team that year, but they also didn't have the talent Tennessee did, and wouldn't have won if the Vols had been ready to play.

Reactions: onevol74
The infamous "What Are Rutgers?" game. That team stomped Auburn, ran Notre Dame off the field, and should have beaten Bama...and lost to Rutgers. Ugh.

Rutgers actually wasn't a bad team that year, but they also didn't have the talent Tennessee did, and wouldn't have won if the Vols had been ready to play.

Then during the 1983 rematch with RU in the Meadowlands (TN won 7-0) the event staff was allegedly opening and closing the doors in the end zones to manipulate the strong winds. Whenever TN was on offense the doors were opened. When Rutgers was on offense they’d close the doors to calm the breeze.

What’s a Rutgers?

VN Store

Back