Question for those who want Fulmer gone

Originally posted by allvol@Nov 30, 2004 2:46 PM
With the defense that Nebraska had returning from last year as well as the quality of athletes they would have had on offense running the wishbone again this year, they would have won the Big XII North easily this year,

That's the part that blows my mind. Callahan has really gotten a pass for coming in and really screwing some things up in the name of changing the system . . .

For the record, donsargegolf, if we "susceeded" in 1861, it would still be spelled wrong, but would imply by the close similarity in spelling to succeed, that we won. To withdraw from something is to secede.

Originally posted by GoVolsDogg@Nov 30, 2004 12:26 AM
How could he go to OSU? I know they had a bad-year for their standards and are now caught up in the Maurice Clarett scandal, but Tressel isn't going anywhere.

2 years removed from a National Championship, 3-1 record against Michigan, 2-1 in bowl games currently, 39-11 as their HC in the regular season, plus he's put together a few great recruiting classes and this year seems to be no different meaning theres a bright future in Columbus, I just don't see Tressel going anywhere unless something very strange occurs.

It has been 6 years since CPF won the NC, we regularly beat our longtime rival Alabama, have beaten Florida 3 out of 4 games, and we beat Georgia this year. Yet, some of our "best" fans want to run him off. Go figure. Yes we stink in bowl games, but apparently no one is safe any more I guess.

Who REALLY cares about the bowl games anyway? The only post-season game that really counts is the MNC if you want to get down to the truth. As long as we stay strong in the SEC and beat a few "notables" now and then, what do we have to complain about? Other than the seats at Neyland Stadium that is. I like CPF and can live with Sanders, Chavis, and Company. Our players, for the most part, are decent kids trying to make a name for themselves and we fans are unmatched by anybody, anywhere. To expect a team to be # 1 every season is crazy.

But the bowl games are what set the tone for the off-season. In a bowl game you pit the SEC against the rest of the country. It is good for national exposure, and recruiting. And I'm tired of losing to teams like Clemson and Maryland.

I pointed out Neyland's record thinking that most people didn't know that the Vols' most revered coach had a losing bowl record. But you have to take his record in context. When Neyland coached, the MNC was decided before the bowl games. He viewed the bowl game as a reward for a good season... a vacation for the players.

He did win one other bowl game that is not recognized by the NCAA, the New York Charity Game in 1931. The Vols beat The New York University Violets by a score of 13-0 at Yankee Stadium.

Neyland's first 'official' bowl matchup was in the 1939 Orange Bowl. The Vols entered the game undefeated for the 1938 season and ranked No. 2 , while No. 4 Oklahoma was riding a 14-game winning streak. The Vols won impressively, 17-0, to finish the season with an 11-0 record. Defensively, the Vols only surrendered 16 points total in 11 games. No. 1 TCU beat No. 6 Carnegie Tech (?) in the Sugar Bowl. Five officially recognized polls by the NCAA crowned the Vols as National Champions.

For the second straight season, the Vols finished the regular season undefeated, 10-0, and ranked No. 2. The 1939 team was unscored upon in 10 regular season games, the last NCAA I-A school to perform such a feat. However, the Vols played in the 1940 Rose Bowl (via train) without the services of hall of fame tailback George Cafego, the Vols lost to No. 3 USC (8-0-2) by a score of 14-0.
No. 1 Texas A&M beat No. 4 Tulane in the Sugar Bowl.

For the third straight season, the Vols finished the regular season with a 10-0 record. This time ranked No. 4, the Vols took on No. 5 Boston College in the 1941 Sugar Bowl. Two interceptions deep inside BC territory and a block punt prevented the Vols from stretching its lead before the half. BC hung around just long enough to put together a game winning drive together with under 6 minutes remaining to pull off the upset, 19-13. The Vols squandered 2 scoring chances in the 4th quarter, fumbling in BC territory and missing a field goal. BC finished with an 11-0 record. BC coach Frank Leahy went on to coach Notre Dame the next season. No. 1 Minnesota (8-0) did not play in a bowl game. Two officially recognized polls by the NCAA crowned the Vols as National Champions.

After the 1940 season, Neyland was called to active duty. He did not return until the 1946 season. That year, the Vols finished with a 9-1 record, ranked No. 7 and played No. 10 Rice in the '41 Sugar Bowl. Rice scored a touchdown and a safety in the 1st quarter and held on for the victory. The Vols had one chance to tie the score in the second half, recovering a fumble at the Rice 18-yd line... only to throw an interception in the endzone on 4th down.

Neyland did not take a team to a bowl game again until after the 1950 season. For 3 seasons, the Vols had endured records of 5-5, 4-4-2, and 7-2-1. However, in 1950, the Vols finished the regular season 10-1 and ranked No. 4. At the end of the regular season.... on a cold November afternoon, the No. 9 Tennessee Volunteers blanked Babe Parilli and Bear Bryant's No. 3 Kentucky Wildcats, 7-0. In one of Neyland's most impressive victories... No. 3 Texas and now No. 4 Tennessee squared off in the Cotton Bowl, where the Vols came from behind to win 20–14 in the last three minutes. Texas was an overwhelming favorite to win that game. No. 1 Oklahoma met Bear Bryant's No. 7 Kentucky team in the Sugar Bowl. The Wildcats took a 13–0 halftime lead and held on for the 13–7 upset. No. 2 Army's unbeaten streak of 28 games also came to an abrupt halt against Navy in Philadelphia. One officially recognized poll, Dunkel, crowned the Vols as National Champions.

The Bowl victory over Texas the previous season put the Vols at the top of the polls to start the 1951 season. The Vols did not disappoint, finishing the season with a record of 10-0 and a NCAA Consensus National Championship. However, in what would be Neyland's final bowl game, No. 3 Baylor pulled the upset in the Sugar Bowl, 28-13. From historical accounts, Baylor used an 8-man front on defense to stymie the Vol's single-wing offense. Some say this was the beginning of the end of the single-wing era.... although the Vols would employ the single-wing for many more years.

One correction, although Neyland is credited in one part of the Tennessee media guide as having coached the Vols in the 1953 Cotton Bowl loss to Texas... another part of the guide mentions that the 1952 Sugar Bowl was the last bowl he coached. So, Neyland's bowl record would be 2-4 if he is not credited with the '53 Cotton Bowl loss.... and he is 2-5 if he is credited with it. Add another win if you count the New York Charity Game of 1931.

all I can say is... WOW. Do you compile this stuff in a Word file and ferret it away for when you think it might be useful?!?! WOW. :bow: :clap: :clap: :clap: :bow:

I think Allvol needs is own Forum just to Post "Did you Know" facts on a weekly basis for the beloved VOLNATION..

ALLVOLL is the man :bow: :clap: :clap:

I do keep some information stored for my own use. Here is a page I've got that shows seasons in which the polls were taken before the bowl games and Tennessee had legitimate claims to the national title.... Championship Teams?

I think Phil has done a good job at UT. I think that he'd have to have back-to-back losing seasons to get fired. I just don't see that happening. :dunno: There have been two seasons of 8 wins. I think that the bar has been set and he's done some great recruiting. :thumbsup: Actually, I thin the Vols would have to not win more than 6 or 7 games consecutive seasons before Phil would be replaced. They would be replacing, in my opinion, a legend. He's been a lot better than Johnny Majors. :thumbsup: The coach that would replace him would have a tough act to follow. I think Phil has a winning percentage of over 80%.

Originally posted by allvol@Dec 1, 2004 10:04 AM
I do keep some information stored for my own use. Here is a page I've got that shows seasons in which the polls were taken before the bowl games and Tennessee had legitimate claims to the national title.... Championship Teams?

For Southern Cal and coach John McKay it was the second national championship in six years. USC beat No.4 Indiana in Pasadena to end the season at 10–1. The only blemish was a 3–0 loss to No.7 Oregon State.

I wasn't alive for that game, but it was glorious by all accounts.

VN Store

Back