Quote from Butch Jones: "I'm going to assemble the best staff...

With the passion CBJ is brining...I don't see how other coordinators and assistants turn a blind eye to UT. In two - three years...there's gonna be a lot of coaches wishing they'd join CBJ. But he's gonna get the best imo. The hype is just building and building.

Why does Vic never get mentioned as a top recruiter? He's the one who got the train rolling fellas! He deserves more credit than what he's given by most I've seen on here.

Also when bUTch was first hired I remember Vic saying something along the lines of,
"Fans might not like the Butch Jones hire, but recruits will." And looks what is happening before our very eyes. Tennessee is literally a sleeping giant about to wake up. It's great to be a Tennessee Vol!

You're correct Sir. I knew there were other recruits involved, but the names slipped my mind at the time. I knew one of my sharp Vol brethren would fill in the missing names, and alas...LOL

Over the last 4 years he has sent 12 players to the NFL via the draft. And when Fisher finished HS he was listed at 6'7 270. If that's scrawny then I'm a little beotch.

According to these articles, Fisher was, if you can believe this, a 6-5, 180-pound quarterback, outside linebacker and punter as a high school freshman. He never weighed more than 230-238 lbs. when he graduated from high school, hence the much ballyhooed "peanut butter & jelly sandwich" diet that was referenced just prior to his selection as the overall no. 1-pick in this year's draft:

Mick McCabe: How his Stoney Creek High coach put Eric Fisher on path to NFL | Detroit Free Press | freep.com

Y! SPORTS

Top NFL pick Eric Fisher leaves Stoney Creek coaches beaming | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

Curb your enthusiasm until after we go 5-7 this year. Let's not set ourselves up for disappointment. Long way to go. We are rebuilding while everyone else is reloading.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

We ARE rebuilding and we are seeing something we have not seen in a long time.We see a change in the quality of the coaching staff, in the energy of the team, in the recruiting of quality players before two months before singing day, in the excitement of the lettermen, in the excitement in the fan base, in the excitement of the media, and in the realization of the fellow SEC teams. Most importantly, we have seen a marked change in our attitude. If you are a Tennessee fan, you have to be excited about the future. Not saying we will win every game this year or next, but we will be better prepared for each game this year and in the future, and we will beat the likes of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, LSU etc. I realize that some of you are afraid to believe, but believing is the faith all must have to succeed in any goal. We have players committed who would not ever answer the phone during the last 8 years. Get ready VOL fans; happy days have already begun.

I disagree, I think we need to do the opposite. I think we have momentum and it's time to get excited and help keep the momentum going.

What CBJ and staff are doing is something very special and they need all the support we can give them. The special coaches like Saban, Myers,and Miles don't come along very often, the kind of coaches that come into a program and turn it around and make it a NC contender.

You have one of these coaches right in front of you, its magic. Its time to get on board and get excited because this is just the beginning of something to be excited about.

Tennessee has been at a all time low the past 5 years and then we hire a coach from Cincinnati that most of us didn't want. He said he would assemble the best staff in the country and most of us where angry when he brought his TEAM of coaches from Cincinnati. We said they will never recruit in the SEC, they will never win games etc..... most of us just didn't believe.

Well open your eyes people, magic is happening right in front of you. Its time to get on board and start pumping some Sunshine !

We have been in the dark long enough.

This.

It is pretty cool to be #1 in recruiting! I feel a lot better about Butch Jones than I ever did about DD!

Butch does seem to have an eye for those diamond in the rough guys.

Top NFL pick Eric Fisher leaves Stoney Creek coaches beaming | The Detroit News | detroitnews.com

"I remember when (then CMU head coach) Butch Jones was recruiting him, he felt Eric had all the tools to be a very good college player, but also had a chance to play in the NFL and be a millionaire."

"Coach Jones was in Calvin's office with me after watching Eric play basketball," Belote said. "Butch was so impressed with him that he said, 'He'll be playing on Sundays.' I remember Calvin and I just looking at each other (in awe)."

Jones and Co. Have done great so far in recruiting, but its a long way til NSD.

I don't think we lose too many even if we do have a bad season. But what's gonna keep the recruiting train rolling for the future is Jones showing he can coach In the SEC . ..This is where I will play the wait and see approach.

I just don't think there's no way of knowing for sure right now. He will get off to a good start with this class though and I am alot more optimistic about his chances than I was with Dooley.

Its the right step forward...anytime you can recruit at that level, you at least give your self a better fighting chance

:) Nice! Is it early days though? I don't actually understand recruiting fully...

Hi Mate !!

these recruits are for the class that will sign in February 2014. and will have 4-5 years of eligibility, meaning they most likely will not play their first year and it will take 2-3 years for them to really make a impact. It is early in the recruiting cycle yes but to be ranked #1 should mean a top 5 class come signing day if things keep going like they are.

BUT the fact that after our recent losing seasons to have the #1 class at all is simply Extraordinary to say the least.

cheers !! and go Vols.

Hi Mate !!

these recruits are for the class that will sign in February 2014. and will have 4-5 years of eligibility, meaning they most likely will not play their first year and it will take 2-3 years for them to really make a impact. It is early in the recruiting cycle yes but to be ranked #1 should mean a top 5 class come signing day if things keep going like they are.

BUT the fact that after our recent losing seasons to have the #1 class at all is simply Extraordinary to say the least.

cheers !! and go Vols.

AHHHH... Thanks for the explanation. Should be great to be a Vol in the coming years!

Stephen, depending on where your current understanding of the recruiting process is, this will be an unusually large class, one that could consist of as many as 30 or thereabouts, so long as at least 5 of them are early enrollees, i.e. students who matriculate in January and thus can be "backcounted" against last year's class. "JUCO," or junior college players, and we will certainly sign a few of these, are players who typically have completed an associates degree (2-year) program and come in with either 2 or 3 years remaining to complete their other 2 years of eligibility. If you haven't already seen them, there are a couple of threads about our current status as the number one-ranked class. See http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/195717-rivals-number-1-a.html and http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/195706-its-early-but-how-our-current.html, as well as http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-recruiting/195697-vols-1-rivals.html.

Reactions: 1 person
Stephen, depending on where your current understanding of the recruiting process is, this will be an unusually large class, one that could consist of as many as 30 or thereabouts, so long as at least 5 of them are early enrollees, i.e. students who matriculate in January and thus can be "backcounted" against last year's class. "JUCO," or junior college players, and we will certainly sign a few of these, are players who typically have completed an associates degree (2-year) program and come in with either 2 or 3 years remaining to complete their other 2 years of eligibility. If you haven't already seen them, there are a couple of threads about our current status as the number one-ranked class. See http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/195717-rivals-number-1-a.html and http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-football/195706-its-early-but-how-our-current.html, as well as http://www.volnation.com/forum/tennessee-vols-recruiting/195697-vols-1-rivals.html.

Thanks for the info - will read up later.

Incidentally, nothing is binding contractually at this point. We still have to keep them in the proverbial fold until National Signing Day, which is always the first Wednesday of February. Some players will inevitably change their minds and decommit, often frustratingly late in the process. The stronger our program is, however, the less likely this is to occur.

Another positive is the fact that we have an unusually high number of quality instate prospects and/or "legacies" (prospects who are the sons or brothers of former Tennessee players) in this year's class. Consequently, there is an extremely strong core of kids that are very committed to the program and, in fact, are hard at work recruiting other elite prospects to Tennessee. Jalen Hurd, Todd Kelly Jr., and Vic Wharton are leading the charge on this front.

Keep an eye out for Dillon Bates, son of former Vol and Dallas Cowboys star Bill Bates, and Eric Berry's younger brothers, Evan and Elliott. Barring unforeseen catastrophic diplomatic blunders, all three are expected to eventually commit to wearing the sacred orange and white.

Last edited:
We ARE rebuilding and we are seeing something we have not seen in a long time.We see a change in the quality of the coaching staff, in the energy of the team, in the recruiting of quality players before two months before singing day, in the excitement of the lettermen, in the excitement in the fan base, in the excitement of the media, and in the realization of the fellow SEC teams. Most importantly, we have seen a marked change in our attitude. If you are a Tennessee fan, you have to be excited about the future. Not saying we will win every game this year or next, but we will be better prepared for each game this year and in the future, and we will beat the likes of Florida, Georgia, South Carolina, Alabama, LSU etc. I realize that some of you are afraid to believe, but believing is the faith all must have to succeed in any goal. We have players committed who would not ever answer the phone during the last 8 years. Get ready VOL fans; happy days have already begun.

He's not a Tennessee fan...check his trollfile
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back