Quote from Cooper Mays

Pump Guy

If Steve Spurrier was my neighbor, I would move.
Cooper appears to be a really good guy (I don't know him at all, just the way he handles himself around the field). He said this when asked about how Nico is handling things:

He’s a younger guy, but he doesn’t act like that. Like you said, I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old, like older guys. It’s been a little bit of an adjustment. Just got to be really communicative. Kind of the whole offense in general, but especially with me and the quarterback, you have to talk a lot and kind of pick each other’s brain. He tries to see how I’m seeing things and I’m trying to see how he sees things. So, just trying to get on the same page there has been really cool.”

I am reading this as, "I have a lot more confidence in the guy this year than the guy last year".

Cooper appears to be a really good guy (I don't know him at all, just the way he handles himself around the field). He said this when asked about how Nico is handling things:

He’s a younger guy, but he doesn’t act like that. Like you said, I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old, like older guys. It’s been a little bit of an adjustment. Just got to be really communicative. Kind of the whole offense in general, but especially with me and the quarterback, you have to talk a lot and kind of pick each other’s brain. He tries to see how I’m seeing things and I’m trying to see how he sees things. So, just trying to get on the same page there has been really cool.”

I am reading this as, "I have a lot more confidence in the guy this year than the guy last year".
I'm not reading it that way, sounds like their going through an adjustment period. Coop is the real deal though, he can help Nico a lot, so glad he came back for another year.

I'm not reading it that way, sounds like their going through an adjustment period. Coop is the real deal though, he can help Nico a lot, so glad he came back for another year.
Yeah that's what I'm getting. It sounds like he saying those other QB's were a lot more experienced, where as Nico is kinda learning as they go. Maybe he didn't have to make all the calls with his previous QB's because of their experience, but now he has to do a little more at the line with a 19yr old QB

Can you explain how you're reading that out of what Cooper said (whether in that quote or the entire press conference)?

On what it has been like having a quarterback who is younger than him…
“I have been thinking about it a little bit, but it is kind of hard to think though because (Nico Iamaleava) is so mature for his age. He’s a younger guy, but he doesn’t act like that. Like you said, I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old, like older guys. It’s been a little bit of an adjustment. Just got to be really communicative. Kind of the whole offense in general, but especially with me and the quarterback, you have to talk a lot and kind of pick each other’s brain. He tries to see how I’m seeing things and I’m trying to see how he sees things. So, just trying to get on the same page there has been really cool.”

Last edited:
On what it has been like having a quarterback who is younger than him…
“I have been thinking about it a little bit, but it is kind of hard to think though because (Nico Iamaleava) is so mature for his age. He’s a younger guy, but he doesn’t act like that. Like you said, I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old, like older guys. It’s been a little bit of an adjustment. Just got to be really communicative. Kind of the whole offense in general, but especially with me and the quarterback, you have to talk a lot and kind of pick each other’s brain. He tries to see how I’m seeing things and I’m trying to see how he sees things. So, just trying to get on the same page there has been really cool.”
….shhh. 🤫
Upon review, it does appear to be the case. I’ll continue to focus on today and the future. Not really interested in discussing the shortcomings of others. (D4H being an exception. 🤣)

He does, apparently, hold Nico in high regard. That’s a good thing considering Coop has been mentioned as an end of year award winner. 🤞

Last edited:
Joe Milton wasn't a bad QB (better than Guarantano), he just wasn't a great QB either. I think Nico has the potential to be a Great QB. Going off recruiting rankings, he is probably the best QB out there.
After Bru went down, our WR's did Milton no favors last year either. There were a lot of catchable passes dropped.

View attachment 665397
…I am continually amazed by our fanbase.
This is just the power of having a narrative. If you believe you know why something happened, every new piece of data will appear to confirm your original theory. Just human nature, so we should all state our opinions with a decent dash of humility.

It's kinda the "if the only tool you have is a hammer, then the answer to every problem will appear to be a nail" principle, applied to logic.

I've heard intelligent (and) educated people use the exact same set of facts to explain why the recent assassination attempt was a choreographed Trump hoax, or why it was divine intervention.
(Of course, my theories are always correct.)

Me too. You could tell a big difference when Cooper was out last year. I just hope he’s working with Lang and Satterwhite too.

I think the OP was focusing in on the strangely worded phrase '...I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old...' and reading it as '...just weren't mature...'. Personally, I don't pretend to know what that phrase meant, so it is what it is. Really doesn't matter much at this point.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Joe wasn’t a playmaker. Nico appears to be someone that can make something out of nothing.
Early results would indicate this to be the case. His greatest potential area to improve may be learning to fling the damn ball OB rather than take a sack. Pretty sure Halzle has focused on that this offseason.

Reactions: DonDiego and CDB
Translation for those struggling to understand = Nico is a young guy but mature for his age. They are working on better communication to improve chemistry. There is no issue with age/maturity just getting “on the same page”
I’m no Joe apologist, but upon rereading, it goes deeper than that.

Reactions: CDB
While I have been pleased to have back our veteran center, and excited about our dynamic young QB, I had not thought about how lucky we are to have both together, the vet center to help steady the young QB.
Probably ought to start a thread about this aspect. And get Lang or Satt or BOTH plugged the hell in for Heisman support duty next year.

Those setting Vegas Heisman lines see it. 😉🤙🏼

I think the OP was focusing in on the strangely worded phrase '...I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old...' and reading it as '...just weren't mature...'. Personally, I don't pretend to know what that phrase meant, so it is what it is. Really doesn't matter much at this point.
I interpreted that to mean that Joe and Hendon were grown azz men and by default were already mature, as in not only were they mature but also true adults. Should I add IMHO.

I wonder how many 24-25 year old QBs he has played with in college.

"I have had guys that weren’t just mature, they were 24 or 25 years old, like older guys."

I'm not seeing how this comment is knocking anyone. Seems Cooper is implying that Joe and Hendon weren't just older guys - grown men - but were both mature, and the difference now is he is working with a kid who is exemplifying these same kinds of traits.

I'll never get why some fans need to find the negative slant in everything, even when it clearly isn't there.

VN Store

Back