Randy Sanders

Rasputin_Vol

"Slava Ukraina"
CatsPause.com - Message Boards

Don't see Coach Sanders taking a Head Coaching position unless it is with a decent DI-A school. If and when the time comes, Kentucky needs to make him the highest paid OC in the country. I don't know if he can do it all, but I would like to see him OC, QB Coach (or he personally hires someone for this position he trust), and Recruiter. He is worth the investment of Kentucky Football.

I would not be at all surprised if Tennessee comes calling for the Head Coaching position (and yes he is that good of a Coach even playing the fall guy) when Phil decides to hang it up, or shown the door.

Discuss

I thought he was the quarterbacks coach....

I've always thought that he was a pretty decent positions coach (rbs, qbs) but an absolutely terrible offensive coordinator

Also, they can keep him...we're not coming for him anytime ever

Randy will be lucky to sniff a HC position at any D1 school, let alone a major conference team. He would have to reinvent his offense, and become some sort of offensive guru for teams to come-a-callin.

Sanders has done a darn good job with UK's QBs so far, as well as with recruiting. I'd hate to lose him.

He did get an interview for the HC position at E. Carolina, but it didn't work out. My guess is that he's just biding his time.

All that said, he wasn't to blame for 2005. He was just Phil's "get out of jail free" mulligan.

1 game doesnt tell the story but as far as his OC skills, UK scared the crap outta me last season...I'll let it go at that.

All that said, he wasn't to blame for 2005. He was just Phil's "get out of jail free" mulligan.

Oh, he had something to do with it. He was in charge of an offense that fell off dramatically with his ascendence to the position, and then rebounded when he left it.

From '93-98, Tennessee averaged 35.26 ppg. In '06-'07, the Vols scored 30.26 (and improved year-over-year.) Under Sanders, Tennessee scored 27.5 ppg. That's a touchdown per game different than when Tennessee was winning championships, and a significant difference from the production of Cut's offenses.

I like Randy, and I hope he does well at East Carolina or Troy State or Akron some day. The offenses he fielded on the Hill, however, were just not up to the level that is, or should be, expected at Tennessee. Blame that on Randy or his boss or the lack of Mannings, but the fact of the matter is that the offense wasn't good enough while he was in charge of it.

Sanders has done a darn good job with UK's QBs so far, as well as with recruiting. I'd hate to lose him.

He did get an interview for the HC position at E. Carolina, but it didn't work out. My guess is that he's just biding his time.

I'm thinking it was more that we ranked near last in passing and in the bottom half in total offense that got him fired...

can someone bring up our team's offensive rankings from the 2005 season?

Last edited:
they don't even know who their oc is... How sad.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I think what he meant was that when it's time to get a new OC, they need to promote Randy. I think he's thinking Joker will be HC soon and Randy will move on up to OC.

It's tough to say. Randy wasn't given enough freedom with playcalling at UT so I hesitate about judging him too much. However, there was a definite dropoff between he and Cut in the little things. It was evident as soon as the '98 NC game (Randy's first game as OC). There were way more false starts and other stupid little things that hindered the offense. The trend continued throughout his time at UT and immediately improved when Cut was rehired. Those stupid little penalties add up. Penalties are exactly what prevented us from beating Bama in 05, for example. Another problem with Randy is the way he runs practice. Having seen a few, I feel like things just seemed disorganized. There wasn't a whole lot of accountability or even a strong focus on improvement and development. Players would drop balls in passing drills and then just return to the back of the line and await their next turn. There was zero difference between running the drill successfully and failing miserably. I'd wish Randy luck if he ever gets another OC gig, but I wouldn't want him to return to the Hill.

Theres a suprise, I thought that but found it hard to believe an OC at 1 school would go to a lesser program to take a postion coach job.

He didn't exactly leave of his own volition.

It's tough to say. Randy wasn't given enough freedom with playcalling at UT ...

That's a pretty big assumption. It is entirely possible he was given too much. Fulmer's number's as OC were much better than Sander's, too.

From 1989-1991 the Vols averaged just over 33 ppg.

05 was a terrible offensive year. So, yeah he was to blame. Hence, "Offensive" coordinator. You could argue that the "Head" coach should have fired him sooner though.

He didn't exactly leave of his own volition.

That's a pretty big assumption. It is entirely possible he was given too much. Fulmer's number's as OC were much better than Sander's, too.

From 1989-1991 the Vols averaged just over 33 ppg.

My point was that since Fulmer had a hand in the playcalling it's questionable how well we can evaluate Sanders' ability as an OC from his time at UT.

Brian and Dans remarks are so on it's pointless for me to try and add anything.

VN Store

Back