Randy Sanders

Sanders has done a darn good job with UK's QBs so far, as well as with recruiting. I'd hate to lose him.

He did get an interview for the HC position at E. Carolina, but it didn't work out. My guess is that he's just biding his time.

All that said, he wasn't to blame for 2005. He was just Phil's "get out of jail free" mulligan.

So you think Randy was not calling any of the plays at all huh? For me the Sanders/Fulmer 2005 season was a team effort.

My point was that since Fulmer had a hand in the playcalling it's questionable how well we can evaluate Sanders' ability as an OC from his time at UT.

A valid point, but I still think the trend is pretty clear. Fulmer as OC, 33ppg; Cut as OC, 35 ppg; Sanders as OC, 27 ppg; Cut again, 30+ and improving. There was something wrong with the offense while Randy was in charge of it.

A valid point, but I still think the trend is pretty clear. Fulmer as OC, 33ppg; Cut as OC, 35 ppg; Sanders as OC, 27 ppg; Cut again, 30+ and improving. There was something wrong with the offense while Randy was in charge of it.

I think my post that you quoted pretty well conveyed that same point.

Surprising that Cutcliffe's offenses only averaged two more PPG than Fulmer's, considering the rise of talent on the Hill in between those two eras.

I thought he was the quarterbacks coach....

I've always thought that he was a pretty decent positions coach (rbs, qbs) but an absolutely terrible offensive coordinator

Also, they can keep him...we're not coming for him anytime ever

agreed

Point of clarification: Sanders is not the OC- that position is held by coach-in-waiting Joker Phillips. Sanders does, however, work with Phillips in-game on playcalling.

Randy is a really good QB coach, but no so much with the offensive cord. duties. I heard at one time that Western Carolina was looking at him when they had an open spot for head coach

The big issue that came to light when Cut came back was UT's poor practice habits. You can lay that (at least partially) at the feet of Sanders. Attention to detail was lacking, and it showed in play action, motion penalties, and getting plays in on time.

Hopefully for Sanders he will actually learn something from Joker and Rich Brooks. It is a better situation for him outside of the Tennessee family. He had spent so much time in the Tennessee system that his relationship with Fulmer most likely left little room for growth as a coach.

All I know is if Eric Berry takes snaps at qb and gets hurt I'm blaming Sanders.

VN Store

Back