Rankings 4/10/2023

fryeguy93

Rufus X. Sarsaparilli
Baseball America out first
Down 5 spots after losing to a top-5 Florida team
Kentucky only down 2 spots after losing to dreadful UGA team
Vols have outscored 3 consecutive SEC opponents but lost last 2 series. We have the best Sunday starter in league
Only 6 ranked teams went undefeated- none of those ranked teams are SEC teams.
Recall that most of the ranked SEC teams were playing on road.

Things will turn...we look like Ole miss last year.

Let’s not use Ole Miss as the new standard. What Ole Miss did is NOT normal. We do not want to be Ole Miss this year and sneak into the tournament limping. The odds of that turning out well is extremely low.

We need to win some series and get back in the hosting conversation.

I got tickled that we are projected to go to Miami, by D1 baseball and yet Miami is not in the top 25. Looks like they could get their projections and rankings lined up
I remember that being similar last year. I think they defended it by saying that the rankings are reactive to what's happened while the tourney projections are predictive of what will happen.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
Things will turn...we look like Ole miss last year.
If we lose the series at Georgia we may be in jeopardy of not even making Hoover. We’re only 2 games ahead of them after they took 2/3 from Kentucky. We’re also just a game up on Missouri and we would lose the tiebreaker to them.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Let’s not use Ole Miss as the new standard. What Ole Miss did is NOT normal. We do not want to be Ole Miss this year and sneak into the tournament limping. The odds of that turning out well is extremely low.

We need to win some series and get back in the hosting conversation.

To be fair, Mississippi State did something similar the season before as well. Not to that extent. But the Bulldogs got run ruled twice in Hoover and had ZERO positive momentum going into the tournament.

The Tennessee SEC schedule is and will continue to be brutal. Especially since South Carolina has been playing far better making the tailend of the schedule looking more difficult than it was. Right now, only Mississippi State and Georgia are layup series. Even then, we could lose those.

I don't expect a National seed now but would hope we can close well enough to be a regional host.

Reactions: chuckiepoo and txbo
To be fair, Mississippi State did something similar the season before as well. Not to that extent. But the Bulldogs got run ruled twice in Hoover and had ZERO positive momentum going into the tournament.

The Tennessee SEC schedule is and will continue to be brutal. Especially since South Carolina has been playing far better making the tailend of the schedule looking more difficult than it was. Right now, only Mississippi State and Georgia are layup series. Even then, we could lose those.

I don't expect a National seed now but would hope we can close well enough to be a regional host.
Miss State was the #7 overall seed when they won it

I would not consider Georgia a “layup series” by any means. This team has not been good on the road and UGA just won a series at home against a good Kentucky team.

If we’re going to host I think we have to get to 17 SEC wins because we have no quality wins OOC, which would require us to go no worse than 12-6 in the remaining games. I don’t see it

Miss State was the #7 overall seed when they won it

I would not consider Georgia a “layup series” by any means. This team has not been good on the road and UGA just won a series at home against a good Kentucky team.

If we’re going to host I think we have to get to 17 SEC wins because we have no quality wins OOC, which would require us to go no worse than 12-6 in the remaining games. I don’t see it
Watched a little bit of UGA series this weekend. Saw some solid pitching.

Perfect Game entered.
Down 2 spots to #12
PG seemingly has a more realistic approach to Kentucky, dropping them 4 spots.
I actually picked UGA last week- if you recall. I believe LSU will get their first sweep this weekend as they host Kentucky
To be blunt, I think Kentucky has won their last SEC series. Maybe they can beat Texas A&M next week in Lexington?

Tennessee's RPI SOS is up to 19th.
Insane considering they've played LSU and Florida. Is there any doubt after they play Vanderbilt, Arkansas, Kentucky and South Carolina the last half of season that they should be top-5?

By the way, Boston College was swept at Louisville over weekend. I suspect the weather would actually have been better in Boston. Louisville has made a big jump in polls as a result.

Collegiate Baseball in.
Tennessee down 3 to 20

And again, let me stress this, I'm not saying this because the Vols are always ranked lower in their rankings than the others but:
I don't think the staff at Collegiate Baseball actually watch collegiate baseball.

Their love of Texas continues but now they are seemingly flirting with Arizona State on the side. I'm not sure a sweep at home of Washington State justifies a jump of 6 spots.
Santa Barbara seems rather random, especially after losing 2 to Fullerton. But they had the Gauchos at #11 last week for some reason.
and why the hell is Fullerton #13?!?!

Collegiate Baseball in.
Tennessee down 3 to 20

And again, let me stress this, I'm not saying this because the Vols are always ranked lower in their rankings than the others but:
I don't think the staff at Collegiate Baseball actually watch collegiate baseball.

Their love of Texas continues but now they are seemingly flirting with Arizona State on the side. I'm not sure a sweep at home of Washington State justifies a jump of 6 spots.
Santa Barbara seems rather random, especially after losing 2 to Fullerton. But they had the Gauchos at #11 last week for some reason.
and why the hell is Fullerton #13?!?!

I always read their rankings for a morning laugh and then scratch them out.

LSU may be in trouble on the mound. From D1 Baseball....

LSU lost the opener at South Carolina 13-5, but the potential pitching losses are the story. Chase Shores didn’t travel to Columbia with an arm injury, and Garrett Edwards left Friday’s game with an injury. If both are lost—not to mention Grant Taylor, who is already lost for the season, and reliever Nate Ackenhausen also didn’t travel this weekend—that becomes bigger than any single weekend result. The Tigers deep bullpen looked much different, which makes the control issues for starters Ty Floyd and Thatcher Hurd even more problematic. Hurd was not going to start a game three, with Christian Little getting the nod. Johnson did mention later in the weekend that Edwards’ injury may not be as serious as initially feared, so there’s hope for the freshman after the scary moment Friday.

LSU may be in trouble on the mound. From D1 Baseball....

LSU lost the opener at South Carolina 13-5, but the potential pitching losses are the story. Chase Shores didn’t travel to Columbia with an arm injury, and Garrett Edwards left Friday’s game with an injury. If both are lost—not to mention Grant Taylor, who is already lost for the season, and reliever Nate Ackenhausen also didn’t travel this weekend—that becomes bigger than any single weekend result. The Tigers deep bullpen looked much different, which makes the control issues for starters Ty Floyd and Thatcher Hurd even more problematic. Hurd was not going to start a game three, with Christian Little getting the nod. Johnson did mention later in the weekend that Edwards’ injury may not be as serious as initially feared, so there’s hope for the freshman after the scary moment Friday.

LSU's pitching is going to cost them in the postseason. They have the best starter in country but are getting thinner and thinner behind him.
Arkansas 2 seasons ago only had one dependable guy as well

LSU's pitching is going to cost them in the postseason. They have the best starter in country but are getting thinner and thinner behind him.
Yep but that kid pitched 10 or 12 innings a week. He was there Superman 😮

Yep, SC was about to expose them. LSU better pray for rain every Sunday.

If we lose the series at Georgia we may be in jeopardy of not even making Hoover. We’re only 2 games ahead of them after they took 2/3 from Kentucky. We’re also just a game up on Missouri and we would lose the tiebreaker to them.
The chances of Tennessee not making Hoover are extremely low. Extremely low. Interesting narrative.

You do realize we are ahead of Ole MIss, MIssissippi State, Auburn, Alabama, Texas A&M, UGA, and Missouri?
I know it can happen but that is a lot of teams that have to win every week and we have to lose. If we lose that many, we don't deserve to go.

VN Store

Back