Ready to pay more for gas?

Yep, heard that on the news this morning. BP has pissed me off twice today. First with this and then this evening I was getting some gas at the BP station and got .7 cents into it before they told me they were out of regular gas... :realmad:

(Orange-Neck @ Aug 7 said:
http://www.csmonitor.com/2006/0808/p04s02-usec.html

With their record profits, they can't afford to pay for up-keeping their equipment. Exxon and the like are chomping at the bit so they can bone us.

This is for you big oil :gun: :gun: :gun: :machinegun: :machinegun: :finger: :finger: :finger:

If you do not want to be 'boned' then do not buy gas.

(therealUT @ Aug 7 said:
If you do not want to be 'boned' then do not buy gas.

That's not very realistic though unless you live in a city with decent public transportation or within a bikes ride or walk of everything you need.

(Orangewhiteblood @ Aug 7 said:
That's not very realistic though unless you live in a city with decent public transportation or within a bikes ride or walk of everything you need.

Where you live is a choice you make. What job you take is another choice. There is no guaranteed right to transportation, cheap gas, etc. For thos who feel they are getting ouged by big oil, they should move to Chicago, Boston, NY, Philly, D.C. etc. There are plenty of jobs for their choosing.

(therealUT @ Aug 7 said:
Where you live is a choice you make. What job you take is another choice. There is no guaranteed right to transportation, cheap gas, etc. For thos who feel they are getting ouged by big oil, they should move to Chicago, Boston, NY, Philly, D.C. etc. There are plenty of jobs for their choosing.

Should people really be forced to relocate and find new jobs because we don't want to upset big oil and take away their huge profits? What good would moving to the city really do? Sure you get public transportation, but if you're having a hard time paying for gas living in the country, they're certainly going to have a hard time in the city where everything is more expensive.

There are some circumstances where people don't have a choice where they live and / or work.

Should we go by the same logic and tell people not to turn their heat on in the winter if they can't afford it and freeze to death?

This "gouging" stuff is nuts. Every study (pretty much every year) shows no gouging. Profit margins are relatively low - it's just that there is huge volume and as the price of the inputs go up so too does the price of the output. The profit margins have remained constant - if there was gouging then PMs would be rising as well.

Should people really be forced to relocate and find new jobs because we don't want to upset big oil and take away their huge profits? What good would moving to the city really do? Sure you get public transportation, but if you're having a hard time paying for gas living in the country, they're certainly going to have a hard time in the city where everything is more expensive.

There are some circumstances where people don't have a choice where they live and / or work.

Should we go by the same logic and tell people not to turn their heat on in the winter if they can't afford it and freeze to death?

If people do not want to pay the market price for gasoline any more, then they should exercise their right to quit driving or they can move to a city in which they will not have to drive.

"There are some circumstances where people don't have a choice where they live and/or work." Please, provide an example. Every single person has a choice about where they live and work. Will some have to sacrifice certain things to move and take certain risks when they do move? Yes.

If people cannot afford to turn their heat on in the winter, then they should relocate to places where they need not rely on heating devices, prioritize their spending and saving during the year, or develop their skills in order take a higher paying job.

(volinbham @ Aug 7 said:
This "gouging" stuff is nuts. Every study (pretty much every year) shows no gouging. Profit margins are relatively low - it's just that there is huge volume and as the price of the inputs go up so too does the price of the output. The profit margins have remained constant - if there was gouging then PMs would be rising as well.

Oh that's good news, for a minute there I thought people were paying over $3.00 a gallon for gas.

(volinbham @ Aug 7 said:
This "gouging" stuff is nuts.

Just quoting you because I don't think this can be said enough times.

Oh that's good news, for a minute there I thought people were paying over $3.00 a gallon for gas.

It would be only about $1.50 to $1.75 without the present taxes in place. It would be only about $.40 at $40/barrel. Big oil does not set the cost of a barrel of oil, speculation on supply and demand does.

I don't get what is so hard to understand about this. It's simple economics.

If people do not want to pay the market price for gasoline any more, then they should exercise their right to quit driving or they can move to a city in which they will not have to drive.

For a lot of people it's about being able to afford things in general in which a move to nearest city wouldn't help a bit. They would be trading high gas prices for higher rent, groceries, utilities etc etc etc.. That's not realistic either.

Please, provide an example. Every single person has a choice about where they live and work. Will some have to sacrifice certain things to move and take certain risks when they do move? Yes.

I'm not saying that everyone doesn't have a choice as to where they live, I'm just saying that there are a lot of people who have obligations or are in situations where moving away just isn't realistic.

Minimum wage workers will make minimum wage no matter where they live.

(GAVol @ Aug 7 said:
I don't get what is so hard to understand about this. It's simple economics.

It is easy GAVol, economic theory means there are no victims or evil corporate perps, unquestionably backed by those in Washington.

(therealUT @ Aug 7 said:
It would be only about $1.50 to $1.75 without the present taxes in place. It would be only about $.40 at $40/barrel. Big oil does not set the cost of a barrel of oil, speculation on supply and demand does.

But it isn't $1.50 to $1.75 is it?

For a lot of people it's about being able to afford things in general in which a move to nearest city wouldn't help a bit. They would be trading high gas prices for higher rent, groceries, utilities etc etc etc.. That's not realistic either.
I'm not saying that everyone doesn't have a choice as to where they live, I'm just saying that there are a lot of people who have obligations or are in situations where moving away just isn't realistic.

Minimum wage workers will make minimum wage no matter where they live.

I will paraphrase Neal Boortz, "If you are an adult, who is not disabled, and you are making minimum wage...you are a loser."

It is not my fault that many people made poor choices in their lives and are now relegated to low income and minimum wage jobs. It is not all that difficult to further one's education at a local public library, which is free! It might take a couple of years of hard work and sacrifice, however, if the time is spent wisely, then anyone can pull themselves out of 'poverty' and into America's working middle class.

(therealUT @ Aug 7 said:
It is easy GAVol, economic theory means there are no victims or evil corporate perps, unquestionably backed by those in Washington.

I think that's it. It's not that I don't respect the other point of view, but I've never heard a single "gas gouge" argument with any sort of tangible argument other than somebody's just PO'd that the price of gas has gone up.

I can't believe people actually think that if we got oil from somewhere else, that it would be cheaper. It's all about market value......

(GAVol @ Aug 7 said:
I think that's it. It's not that I don't respect the other point of view, but I've never heard a single "gas gouge" argument with any sort of tangible argument other than somebody's just PO'd that the price of gas has gone up.

It's not about the "gas gouge" with me. I'm more upset that we are supposedly the greatest country in the world, yet we didn't have enough common sense or foresight to see these ridiculous prices coming and come up with alternative ways to get from point A to point B. This country is owned on so many levels it's not even funny and it's mostly because of ignorant greed.

It's not about the "gas gouge" with me. I'm more upset that we are supposedly the greatest country in the world, yet we didn't have enough common sense or foresight to see these ridiculous prices coming and come up with alternative ways to get from point A to point B. This country is owned on so many levels it's not even funny and it's mostly because of ignorant greed.

The price of democratic freedom. Individuals pursue self interests - we are not a collective. If all people do is complain about oil prices and still consume like crazy there is no incentive to find alternatives.

(volinbham @ Aug 7 said:
If all people do is complain about oil prices and still consume like crazy there is no incentive to find alternatives.

Can't argue with that. The fact that some of the money most likely supports terrorism make it even more baffling.

Can't argue with that. The fact that some of the money most likely supports terrorism make it even more baffling.

Not as much as you think it does. Iran is the largest financial backer of extremist Muslim terrorism. Iran exports crude oil and imports refined gasoline. Therefore, let me work some basic numbers for you:

Assume a barrel of crude costs $10
The price, after a 10% markup, of a barrel of gasoline is $11.
Iran earns $10 and spends $11, net loss of $1.

Now assume the cost per barrel is $20.
The price, after a 10% markup, is $22.
Iran's net loss on the exchange, $2.

The increase in the price of oil, does not turn into an increase in income for Iran. It turns into a loss, because they like basic refining capabilities (thank you Ayatollah.) That loss is cushioned by the fact that they gain revenue from selling the crude oil in the first place, however, it is and always will be, a net loss.

VN Store

Back