Ready to pay more for gas?

(therealUT @ Aug 8 said:
Not as much as you think it does. Iran is the largest financial backer of extremist Muslim terrorism. Iran exports crude oil and imports refined gasoline. Therefore, let me work some basic numbers for you:

Assume a barrel of crude costs $10
The price, after a 10% markup, of a barrel of gasoline is $11.
Iran earns $10 and spends $11, net loss of $1.

Now assume the cost per barrel is $20.
The price, after a 10% markup, is $22.
Iran's net loss on the exchange, $2.

The increase in the price of oil, does not turn into an increase in income for Iran. It turns into a loss, because they like basic refining capabilities (thank you Ayatollah.) That loss is cushioned by the fact that they gain revenue from selling the crude oil in the first place, however, it is and always will be, a net loss.

BTW, before I get hammered on this. I would like to point out that my logic is fatally flawed here. I do not know what I was thinking, but the above scenario would only work if Iran importing everything they exported in the first place. Since that is obviously not the case, they are realizing a net gain, and I will accept that a lot of that money does make its way to terrorist hands.

Calypso Louie says the Bush Adminstration planned this!

Economic Terror by our own government!
Fsing.gif

:blink:

Oh no, the sky is falling again!! I wish people would look into this more before making alarmist claims. The big numbers are scaring the people. If you don't like it, you were given the most perfect two pieces of transportation, your feet. Or, have your congressman quit wasting tax dollars on investigating the profits of legit corps and start lowering the $.50/gallon gas tax to help you out. None of them dare put that one out there.

Gas is not a right!

(OrangeEmpire @ Aug 8 said:
Calypso Louie says the Bush Adminstration planned this!

Economic Terror by our own government!
Fsing.gif

:blink:

Part of the 36% that was in the other forum on 9/11 gov't involvement I am sure.

You need to think like this tree-hugger:

[attachmentid=5755]

Attachments

• ridebus.jpg
    ridebus.jpg
    23.2 KB · Views: 1
(utvolpj @ Aug 8 said:
You need to think like this tree-hugger:

[attachmentid=5755]

Like I said before, it's not about the price with me. It's about the lack of foresight and the poor planning that put us in this situation.

(Orangewhiteblood @ Aug 8 said:
Like I said before, it's not about the price with me. It's about the lack of foresight and the poor planning that put us in this situation.

Don't you think though that if there was a more cost effective (profitable) fuel, we'd be using it right now?

Is it?

You anti-capitalist!

thumbnail_20060302-enjoy-capitalism.jpg

(GAVol @ Aug 8 said:
Don't you think though that if there was a more cost effective (profitable) fuel, we'd be using it right now?

No.

Exactly my point, prior planning by whom? Where does personal responsibility come in? The public should realize this is a non-renewable energy source. While they drank it up in the 90's there was no thought to how we would be in 10-20 years. Americans have based their lives on it and made it, as you stated, a necessity. Get out of your gas guzzlers and walk, bike or carpool. The thing is, Americans want the situation to change instead of changing to adapt to the situation. I call it arrogance.

No one needs oil/gas to live. People did just fine for a long time with neither and may need to learn some of those skills again. I know I'll be ok in the future.

I disagree. If there's a way to make more money at something, usually somebody figures it out.

(utvolpj @ Aug 8 said:
No one needs oil/gas to live. People did just fine for a long time with neither and may need to learn some of those skills again. I know I'll be ok in the future.

Then you get on I-95 on your horse first and let me know how it goes.

(GAVol @ Aug 8 said:
I disagree. If there's a way to make more money at something, usually somebody figures it out.

Well, you didn't include making more money the first time. If that's included, then yes. That's what it's all about afterall.

You could always save oil and reduce demand by not using your computer...which is primarily made up of plastics!

It's a personal choice to drive down I-95 then. Is it a life-or-death situation causing this trip? It's personal vs. govt responsibility.

(therealUT @ Aug 8 said:
You could always save oil and reduce demand by not using your computer...which is primarily made up of plastics!

Sorry, my computer is cardboard and involves a hamster wheel.

(OrangeEmpire @ Aug 8 said:
What is this?

why-vote-libertarian-political_quiz.jpg

I won't deny I've moved that was as I got older and more of my tax dollars went to help those who won't help themselves.

(GAVol @ Aug 8 said:
I thought this was interesting to look at in terms of the real price of a gallon of gas in terms of inflation.
http://inflationdata.com/Inflation/images/...ation_chart.htm

Excellent link. I was going to make the point that if you look at the increase in wages and adjusted gas prices to current prices, it has not risen any more than other consumables.

The part that disappoints me as an engineer is that we have been using the gasoline combustion engine for about 100 years now. How many other technologies have improved so little during that time. There has to be a better, more enviromentally neutral way to power automobiles. It is not going to come from big oil until they can control the patents generated by a better solution.

In the end, it is all about $$$

(vader @ Aug 8 said:
There has to be a better, more enviromentally neutral way to power automobiles. It is not going to come from big oil until they can control the patents generated by a better solution.

In the end, it is all about $$$

I agree but why SHOULD it come from big oil? The thread about the electric car talked about Detroit not embracing this technology and holding it back. Why is it Detroit's job to switch us to electric. Why not new companies such as Tesla?

Typically, when you see discontinuous innovations it comes from outside the industry players rather than inside. Big Oil is under no obligation (other than the long-term interests of their shareholders) to develop alternative energies just as Detroit is under no obligation to develop alternative autos. Both are doing it somewhat because they don't want to become obsolete.

VN Store

Back