...did you give for UT to win?

Really.

- playing #2 high-powered team in country
- away game
- no proven QB on UT roster
- 3 starting WRs hurt on UT roster
- weak UT secondary
- only 1/3 of team had ever made road trip
- new coaches/schemes (first year learning curves)
- 2nd string/clean-up RBs (Neal & Lane) having to start (some might say 3rd string based on quality of play)
- few play-makers on team (many are hurt)
- talent at some skill positions but inexperienced
- better than average O-line
- banged up LB corp
- Couch not making trip
- depleted team roster (from a numbers perspective)

I could go on and on (as I'm sure you could as well)

I gave us about a 10% chance to win. Did I expect us to lose by 40+ points? I knew it was a distinct possibility considering it was Oregon, but I didn't think so. I was hoping for a respectable 10 points or so.

The bottom line - we're playing just below UVA right now (based on both team's play against Oregon). That's just how it is.

season: 6-6 (hopefully) and a bowl trip to reward many who could have jumped ship years ago

I was at a 5 to 10 because Oregon seems to play bad a couple of games a year. I was hoping that we would be one of those games.

I gave it 1 percent, just because there is always that chance. It's why they play the game.

5% or less chance this weekend. We are not good anywhere. Better possibly than last year, but not good at any position grouping yet. Was hoping O-line would be strong, but they are not good in this offensive scheme to this point. Butch had to ream them out at half time with WKU to get them to go to work.

Can't compare UVA and us. UVA played Oregon at home. The experience of that game helped Oregon against us while they got to play at home.

Ok, I'll be honest. I expected to win. I thought these days were over and this team was different. I thought we had gotten past staying competitive or just trying to get respect. I thought we were ready to take the next step. Who cares if they were #2 or who cares if we are still a year or two away. I honestly thought we were ready and this team was hungry to turn the program around. I am not ready to throw towel in after the first loss, maybe we have more work to do than I thought or maybe Oregon is just really THAT good. Who knows? What I do know is my blood runs orange and I will be in Gainesville with the same expectations as last week. I still think special things are going to happen this year with team 117.

Reactions: 1 person
Ok, I'll be honest. I expected to win. I thought these days were over and this team was different. I thought we had gotten past staying competitive or just trying to get respect. I thought we were ready to take the next step. Who cares if they were #2 or who cares if we are still a year or two away. I honestly thought we were ready and this team was hungry to turn the program around. I am not ready to throw towel in after the first loss, maybe we have more work to do than I thought or maybe Oregon is just really THAT good. Who knows? What I do know is my blood runs orange and I will be in Gainesville with the same expectations as last week. I still think special things are going to happen this year with team 117.

1. We haven't even got to the point of staying competitive with good teams yet. You have to get to that point first before you can get past it.

2. It doesn't matter how hungry our players are if they're not that good of football players to begin with. Jones has years of work ahead of him.

Reactions: 1 person
I went into the game wanting to only see improvement from the last week. We showed promise in the first quarter, then I couldnt really tell because Oregon was handing it to us.

Posts like this are so foolish. Am I majorly disappointed? Yes. Did I expect UT to win? No. I almost nailed the final score exactly in the pick-the-score-thread.

What I'm disappointed with is the poor play, the horrific playcalling, the embarrassing game plan, and the insistence on playing Worley at QB, when he clearly lacks the athleticism to run Jones' offense, and even moreso the arm to succeed against big time opponents.

If this year is a growing season for the team, why not go with the younger players? Worley gives the offense no chance to do much of anything. And we supposedly have this mega talented OL, yet took them out of the game completely with an offense that rarely just lined up and ran right at a vastly undersized Oregon D.

So yeah, I expected to get blown out, but at the same time, was hoping against hope to see something other than a humiliating performance by the team.

Its so sad to see what tn football has come to.

Our 1998 team would have gotten smashed by Oregon. Maybe not as bad but it still would not have made much difference.

On topic I gave us 0 chance to win. I actually had Oregon scoring at least 70 on us. Although I did expect another TD on our part.

Our 1998 team would have gotten smashed by Oregon. Maybe not as bad but it still would not have made much difference.

On topic I gave us 0 chance to win. I actually had Oregon scoring at least 70 on us. Although I did expect another TD on our part.

Ohhh, you just touched the holy grail there LOL. Although I have to agree with you.
They could have hung 80 had they not totally shut down in the entire 4th.

I had us at 10% pregame. Postgame? Play it 50 times, and 1 win would be a miracle.

I expected to be tight in the first half and start to see separation in the second half. I did expect a better showing from the VOLS. I recognize that I am not a coach, but I did expect to see UT have sustained drives, not 3 n out, passing 2 of 3 times.

This is nonsense. Our 1998 team was stacked with talent. Players that went on to play ball in the NFL included:
Travis Henry (RB)
Jamal Lewis (RB) (injured for part, I know)
Deon Grant (DB)
Dwayne Goodrich (DB)
Eric Parker (WR)
Cedrik Wilson (WR)
Shaun Ellis (DE)
Donte Stallworth (WR)
Chad Clifton (OL)
Darwin Walker (DT)
Cosey Coleman (OL)
Al Wilson (LB)
Raynoch Thompson (LB)

That's just who I remember.

We basically have 4 or 5 players who will likely play in the NFL (so far as we can tell) - and they are all offensive linemen.

Our 1998 team was magnificent. No way they would be smashed by the 2013 Ducks. They may lose, but you're out of your mind if you think Oregon would dismantle them the way they dismantled us yesterday.

This is nonsense. Our 1998 team was stacked with talent. Players that went on to play ball in the NFL included:
Travis Henry (RB)
Jamal Lewis (RB) (injured for part, I know)
Deon Grant (DB)
Dwayne Goodrich (DB)
Eric Parker (WR)
Cedrik Wilson (WR)
Shaun Ellis (DE)
Donte Stallworth (WR)
Chad Clifton (OL)
Darwin Walker (DT)
Cosey Coleman (OL)
Al Wilson (LB)
Raynoch Thompson (LB)

That's just who I remember.

We basically have 4 or 5 players who will likely play in the NFL (so far as we can tell) - and they are all offensive linemen.

Our 1998 team was magnificent. No way they would be smashed by the 2013 Ducks. They may lose, but you're out of your mind if you think Oregon would dismantle them the way they dismantled us yesterday.

No offense to the 1998 squad but they struggled against Arkansas, Auburn and Miss State. Neither one of those teams had anywhere near the offensive firepower that Oregon has.

Would Oregon have smashed the 1998 team 59-14? No I don't think so. But they would still have beaten them by 3 TD's or so.

VN Store

Back