Receiving Corps

duckman398686

VN's One and Only
Since the QB thread has been beat to death i thought i'd start a receiver thread. Who do you think will lead us in receiving this year?

Ideally, I'd have to say Jason Allen or Demetrice Morley. Realistically, I'd have to say Jayson Swain.

I'm gonna say Brett Smith or Chris Hannon....Robert Meachem will help us out a lot too....I look for us to air it out some this year......More than we have in the past...We should be able to...Run game opens up the pass and we will have a killer running game

D-Mo is playing in the secondary......I don't know who the leading WR will be...but I hope Bret Smith plays more.......

Originally posted by orangeblur@Mar 5, 2005 10:24 AM
D-Mo is playing in the secondary......I don't know who the leading WR will be...but I hope Bret Smith plays more.......

I know. I meant I would like to see our defense step it up and grab some interceptions.

I'm really excited about our depth. There is so much potential it's crazy! I know everyone enjoys talking about our QB's and our depth there, but i think the receiver is the deepest part of our team.

The way Meachem finished last year, you have to believe he is the front runner to be the play maker. He has so much talent and I think last year was an opportunity for him to become comfortable and learn the offense. Physically and speed wise, you have you like his chances to have great year.

Last year's play of Bret Smith was interesting. It seemed like everytime we needed a big play or touchdown he would make a play. He made several great catches, but at times was almost invisible on the field. I understand he is quiet off the field, but as a football player, I would really like to see him increase his intensity level. I look forward to see what another year of practice and development will due for his confidence.

I love the play of Jayson Swain. He is big, physical, and willing to take a hit and give one as well. He has no fear of catching a ball in traffic and willing to make a catch across the middle. He doesn't have that breakaway speed like some of the other guys, but his toughness is what sets him apart. IMO, he has a chance to lead the team in catches and be the go to guy on third down.

Chris Hannon and CJ Fayton are two guys that have proven they can play, but were inconsistent at times last season. I think the only thing missing from this years depth is leadership and that is where Chris and CJ will have the biggest impact this year. As seniors, they will have to pick up the play b/c the talent behind them is very promising.

I look forward to seeing which of the younger guys step up and get their names in mix. Who knows, maybe there is a guy just waiting for his opportunity to break out.

I am also excited about our TE's and FB's ability to catch the ball. Add that to the depth at WR and whoever wins the QB fight will have no problem putting up big numbers.

Im gonna say Bret Smith simply because during the 1st part of the year, Ainge seemed to like to go to him more often than others. I think Hannon and Meachem and Swain will all get 40 catches each. Plus we still ahve Fayton who will get anywhere b/t 25 and 30. But also guys lets not forget about who we return at TE and who we ahve coming in. Ainge will have so many options come fall.

Meachem led us last year I believe. He really started coming on later in the season. I have no doubt he is the most talented and I think he will lead us in recieving again this year. But, I'm not sure if he will have a huge year numbers wise, simply because we have a ton of weapons at WR and spread the ball around to everyone very well. Honestly, if our O-line gels and plays good, there is no reason why our offense shouldn't one of the best in the country.

Realistically, I thought Hannon was going to be the man in 2004 but he only showed up here and there. I think he has the potential to be our big playmaker...............wait, this discussion is pointless. It doesnt matter. We just need to ask the opposing defense to pick their poison.

Originally posted by duckman398686@Mar 5, 2005 2:53 PM
40 catches each? Ainge is going to have a sore arm if he throws the ball that much. :blink:

Not really. If each WR, Meachem, Swain, Smith, Hannon have 40 catches that 160 completions. Probably 10-15 catches for TE's and 20 for the RB's and FB. Thats 190 completions. I see us airing it out this year big time. Too many Air Assault weapons to try and stick to the run. I think some mad numbers will be put up this fall.

Can't include Smith until he proves he can stay healthy. IF Hannon learns how to play physical he could be but it seem Meachem or Swain could be the man.

I am just looking forward to seeing them all play. Hopefully one of them will step up and become THE major receiver. Smith has good hands, Meachem and Hannon have the speed, Swain has the toughness and Fayton.....well, he is Fayton.

Someone will have to become the go to guy across the middle since we have lost Tony Brown. I hope that Hannon has the season that I thought he would have this past year.

I also hope that Ainge realizes that it isn't against the law to throw to an open RB or FB when nothing else is open.

I think Swain will lead the team in receptions, Meachem will lead the team in yards, and Smith will lead the team in TD catches.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Mar 5, 2005 6:08 PM
I also hope that Ainge realizes that it isn't against the law to throw to an open RB or FB when nothing else is open.

:dunno: We threw to the fullback a good bit last year. Also, I thought one of Ainge's strengths was avoiding sacks by either throwing it away or finding the safety valve.

David Holbert 3 31 10.3 1
Cory Anderson 17 157 9.2 2
Cedric Houston 16 180 11.3 1
Gerald Riggs 8 37 4.6 0

44 receptions out of 210 completions by the QB's

Looks like the QB's knew where to throw it when everyone else was covered.

Thanks TNVOLS1 - I knew I wasn't making that up. We threw a lot of flat passes to the fullback and we ate SC alive releasing the fullback up the middle of the field.

We need to use those passes out in the flat alot more this year....I think we got decent yardage off of those plays for the most part this past year.....Corey Anderson is a big boy and a load to bring down...Throw to him and Riggs more often and we get good yardage off of just about every play

Originally posted by TNVOLS1@Mar 5, 2005 8:52 PM
Looks like the QB's knew where to throw it when everyone else was covered.

I am not talking about the designed plays that are meant to be thrown to the backs.

What you fail to mention are all of the times that Ainge tried to force a pass that was either incomplete or intercepted when the RB or FB were running stark free. I know he was just a freshman and was doing what he could. I am just saying that some of those INC's or INT's could have gone for good yardage if dumped off to a back.

I am not saying he never threw to them, mine was more of a comment on missed opportunities. :rolleyes:

And with UT's Offense that is the only option he has. The missed opportunities were alot less than you think.

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood@Mar 5, 2005 10:45 PM
What you fail to mention are all of the times that Ainge tried to force a pass that was either incomplete or intercepted when the RB or FB were running stark free.

There were probably some missed opportunities, but like I always have to tell myself - it's easy to find the open receiver when you're sitting in the stands. ;)

Originally posted by GAVol@Mar 5, 2005 11:23 PM
it's easy to find the open receiver when you're sitting in the stands. ;)

:blink: It is?

Originally posted by Orangewhiteblood+Mar 5, 2005 11:43 PM--></div><table border='0' align='center' width='95%' cellpadding='3' cellspacing='1'><tr><td>QUOTE (Orangewhiteblood &#064; Mar 5, 2005 11:43 PM)</td></tr><tr><td id='QUOTE'> <!--QuoteBegin-GAVol@Mar 5, 2005 11:23 PM
it&#39;s easy to find the open receiver when you&#39;re sitting in the stands.   ;)

:blink: It is? [/quote]
I haven&#39;t thrown an INT from Section J yet. :cool:

I can&#39;t even find the open man from the stands. Sitting behind the Frankenstein guy doesn&#39;t help much either.

VN Store

Back