Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
The 2009 Pandemic one.
I remember the one in 1974 that turned into nothing. That is the one that turned a lot of people against flu shots. I must have missed the one in 2009 as far as its significance, I was working long hours during that period Of time. I do know that in about 1995 I caught one that had my ears blocked up for 3 years. Had the work medical doctors claiming that I needed to have a stapectomy and artificial implant. That's a medical suggestion I ignored and I'm glad of it.

Last edited:
Reactions: cHiZzLeVOL
Heard Dr. Shaftner(not sure on sp) from Vanderbilt Hospital a few minutes ago state that some patients with the virus were given injections beginning yesterday. Maybe we will find a vaccine or cure sooner rather than later.
Tons of institutions throughout the world are working on this and sharing their results. This is fast tracked and will not follow normal protocols.

Even if that's true, and I'm not 100% certain that's exactly accurate (about it being that closely related to the flu that is), that there is no immunity and it is extremely contagious are the two main reasons all these preventative measures are in place.

Not because it's definitely gonna kill everyone or is currently in the process of doing so... Like some believe.

Cause if I get it.. I'd most likely be fine and get over it... But if I gave it to my parents who are both in the at risk demographic, it would likely kill one or both of them.

So it is what it is.... It's not about the healthy.. It's about not spreading it to the high risk demo, and ensuring that the healthcare industry will continue to have capacity and resources to deal with those that will get it, AND NEED MEDICAL ATTENTION. Not to mention to also still be able to treat non-cv19 related issues as per normal.

Doing what we're doing now should accomplish that while hopefully getting us back to as close to normal as possible, as quickly as possible.

That's the goal here.
I'm not saying that the viruses are closely related, I am saying that the reaction and symptoms are very similar. Influenza is one of the most complex problems in infectious disease control because there are so many rapidly evolving strains that even the CDC cannot keep up with it.

We are set up to handle the regular flu and minizimize those deaths. We stress getting vaccines and can handle hospitalization rates. Not this.

1-2m dead, not 59,000. Upwards of 33 years of the flu, all at once. I'm not sure if that even includes the possibility of what happens if the system exceeds capacity. Case rates wouldn't increase, but mortality would significantly.

Either way, to compare the flu to covid at up to 34x more deaths, in a single year, makes no sense.

Guess it wasn’t SS but devo with the one to 2 million yet not even close to that rate even in Italy.

Even if that's true, and I'm not 100% certain that's exactly accurate (about it being that closely related to the flu that is), that there is no immunity and it is extremely contagious are the two main reasons all these preventative measures are in place.

Not because it's definitely gonna kill everyone or is currently in the process of doing so... Like some believe.

Cause if I get it.. I'd most likely be fine and get over it... But if I gave it to my parents who are both in the at risk demographic, it would likely kill one or both of them.

So it is what it is.... It's not about the healthy.. It's about not spreading it to the high risk demo, and ensuring that the healthcare industry will continue to have capacity and resources to deal with those that will get it, AND NEED MEDICAL ATTENTION. Not to mention to also still be able to treat non-cv19 related issues as per normal.

Doing what we're doing now should accomplish that while hopefully getting us back to as close to normal as possible, as quickly as possible.

That's the goal here.

Should do it for regular flu as well. Mostly elderly with it as well

Italy has the oldest population in Europe..

The “experts” say it’s worse for the elderly and people with health issues. This isn’t rocket science...
"Deaths surpassed 400 today....up to 600 cases in Georgia with 23 deaths. 3.8% mortality rate"

We were talking about the Georgia stats, not Italy

We are set up to handle the regular flu and minizimize those deaths. We stress getting vaccines and can handle hospitalization rates. Not this.

1-2m dead, not 59,000. Upwards of 33 years of the flu, all at once. I'm not sure if that even includes the possibility of what happens if the system exceeds capacity. Case rates wouldn't increase, but mortality would significantly.

Either way, to compare the flu to covid at up to 34x more deaths, in a single year, makes no sense.

1. And there's the rub. You're using 1-2m as if it's fact. I think that number is preposterous. jmo. otoh I haven't heard one reputable doctor or infectious disease expert give those numbers. And by reputable, I mean someone like Dr Fauci. Not someone on social media or tv or so and so said. Doctors are just like the rest of us, they have opinions, but those opinions aren't necessarily formed by info any better than mine. They can tell you what's happening in the hospital, etc., but they aren't the experts on this disease and therefore can't say how many can or will die. That's just someone's guess that many others are dangerously running with.

2. If you'd read my post with an open mind you'd see the comparison makes perfect sense. If our primary goal is no or few deaths no matter the cost, then we'd be reacting to other threats, whether they be flu, suicide, homicide, or whatever, with the same earnestness. Politics.

That's the goal here.
some people have immunity to this...they think. its my understanding from reading that's how viruses work.

what they dont understand is the positive test AFTER symptoms are gone. lots not understood, like are there two strains - one more aggressive than other? Why elderly so much more impacted? Does quinine/zpack work? what about other anti virals?

Yeah Jake, flatten the curve. Troof.

Guess it wasn’t SS but devo with the one to 2 million yet not even close to that rate even in Italy.

I completely believe that 1.1-2.3M could die if we don't take strong corrective measures. That's exactly what the math says. These painful measures are designed to change that outcome, which I believe will happen.

Reactions: titansvolsfaninga
1. And there's the rub. You're using 1-2m as if it's fact. I think that number is preposterous. jmo. otoh I haven't heard one reputable doctor or infectious disease expert give those numbers. And by reputable, I mean someone like Dr Fauci. Not someone on social media or tv or so and so said. Doctors are just like the rest of us, they have opinions, but those opinions aren't necessarily formed by info any better than mine. They can tell you what's happening in the hospital, etc., but they aren't the experts on this disease and therefore can't say how many can or will die. That's just someone's guess that many others are dangerously running with.

2. If you'd read my post with an open mind you'd see the comparison makes perfect sense. If our primary goal is no or few deaths no matter the cost, then we'd be reacting to other threats, whether they be flu, suicide, homicide, or whatever, with the same earnestness. Politics.

Many reputable doctors have used numbers just like that. Herd immunity happens at 1-1/R0. I have seen more than one source estimate R0 at 1.5-3.5. That means that for an immunologically naive population, herd immunity will occur at between 33% and 71% of the population being infected. The other variable is mortality. Korea is sitting at 1.1%. I still feel like that will be low, but I used 1% in my math. You can argue whether 1.5-3.5 or 1% is correct, but the math is the math.

All of that assumes that nothing changes. Mortality will drop with treatment options. R0 drops with social distancing. If either of those change, things get better, but if they stay the same, that math is what it is.

That's the goal here.
Someone give this man a medal. Thank you for a competent and positive response & statement. 62AC2AFC-C0A6-4704-8DDE-AB4D9EA17A7F.gif

I'm good, thanks.

I'm actually hoping that somebody will make an argument that disproves the epidemiology arguments I've made. So far nobody has done that. I would love to be wrong.
Still missing the undiagnosed because of lack of testing. That greatly impacts the mortality rate. I’m not arguing or coming from a bad place here because it’s really easy to misconstrue these comments. The lack of testing is the major flaw in this thing.

Still missing the undiagnosed because of lack of testing. That greatly impacts the mortality rate. I’m not arguing or coming from a bad place here because it’s really easy to misconstrue these comments. The lack of testing is the major flaw in this thing.

I don't believe that Korea is under-tested. We can just disagree on that one.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back