Recruiting Forum Football Talk II

Status
Not open for further replies.
swain's show this a.m.
So, is he saying we should wait it out and give Pruitt more time, or is the biggest part of his point that this job won't command the level of coach we think it will, but a coaching search might be pretty likely?

Because the distinction here is important regarding who I think he's getting his info from.

I mean, Hart played the game with Barnes hire. I don't care what anyone says, that was a very smart/clutch move.

He spoke to Barnes before hiring Donnie, knew at that moment we'd be doing Texas a favor and paying a buyout to get Barnes. So he hired Donnie KNOWING the potential NCAA issues, then wrote a contract that easily allowed us to fire him once the NCAA bubbled up. Hell once Texas let go of Barnes, Hart might have tipped the NCAA off about Donnie.

Not really related to Pruitt or Hughmors, but I believe that situation was indeed "fire a guy to hire the guy" and it was executed extremely well. I'm just disappointed Hart bought the fool's gold that Butch was :(
Thats actually an interesting idea, so Fulmer gets Pruitt in trouble then goes and gets Freeze? The NCAA's hand is then tipped off when Pruitt goes back to Bama and they finally topple Saban empire. The Vols then go on another run like the 90's and Saban quietly retires into the night.

Lol! So tired of people pushing that narrative. We are at worst a top fifteen program. We have been down so long that our image has taken a big hit. This is exactly why you go hire a proven winner in Freeze and change the image of our program. They said the same things about Bama before Saban.
it's easier to push that narrative when you start counting up how many coaches have told us "no" the past 12 years...................

I’ll be very eager to see if we start hearing “Freeze has always loved Auburn.” “He’s always been a big Blacksburg guy.”

He’s not taking the South Carolina job because that job sucks. Doesn’t mean he’s necessarily picking Tennessee though.
I don’t think we do. But I bet we would hear that he would take Auburn if offered. I think he would be ours if we have an opening. Whether we will or not remains to be seen.

we thought pruitt was gonna work when we went down to Auburn in 18 and won.

we thought pruitt was gonna work with how he closed the 19 and 20 classes.

we thought pruitt was gonna work with how we finished last season.

we felt pretty good about pruitt 2 1/2 games in to this season.

things change. we'll see how pittman and co. are doing in 3 years too.
That's why I said so far, but he is off to a better start with a lesser roster. He at least has them competitive in their games except the Florida one.

You could also argue that Pruitt never worked. He has gotten blown out too many times and he lost to GSU (the only win vs a P5 team in school history) and BYU

I don’t think we do. But I bet we would hear that he would take Auburn if offered. I think he would be ours if we have an opening. Whether we will or not remains to be seen.
Auburn is way more of a push the envelope program than Tennessee is. Freeze might prefer coming here, but he knows Auburn would be much more likely to hire him.

So, is he saying we should wait it out and give Pruitt more time, or is the biggest part of his point that this job won't command the level of coach we think it will, but a coaching search might be pretty likely?

Because the distinction here is important regarding who I think he's getting his info from.
he didn't sound like someone saying anything was likely, eihter way. just more of a "be careful what you ask for, you might get it" type deal.

Before y’all fire and hire - consider two things:
1) Pruitt has a history of beating Auburn, with an inferior team.
2) Pruitt has a history of pulling this team back into life after an abysmal start.

I’m not saying that past is predictive of the future, but to say that the script is already written for the remainder of the season is inaccurate.

What if, with the steady and exciting play of Bailey, the offense actually scores some points, the defense decides to actually put forth some effort, and we pull a few upsets along the way to end the year, and sign what looks like (so far) a really solid ‘21 class.

I don’t have high hopes for this, but I have a really hard time wishing that we lose upcoming games for the long shot hope our AD will then make a smart decision

That's why I said so far, but he is off to a better start with a lesser roster. He at least has them competitive in their games except the Florida one.

You could also argue that Pruitt never worked. He has gotten blown out too many times and he lost to GSU (the only win vs a P5 team in school history) and BYU
all i'm saying is it wasn't all that long ago that pruitt had support from an overwhelming majority of TN fans.....

things change.

doens't mean things are gonna change...lol...especially here.

Before y’all fire and hire - consider two things:
1) Pruitt has a history of beating Auburn, with an inferior team.
2) Pruitt has a history of pulling this team back into life after an abysmal start.

I’m not saying that past is predictive of the future, but to say that the script is already written for the remainder of the season is inaccurate.

What if, with the steady and exciting play of Bailey, the offense actually scores some points, the defense decides to actually put forth some effort, and we pull a few upsets along the way to end the year, and sign what looks like (so far) a really solid ‘21 class.

I don’t have high hopes for this, but I have a really hard time wishing that we lose upcoming games for the long shot hope our AD will then make a smart decision
That was a joke of a schedule to end the year last year though, this isn't with the exception of Vandy.

I will be shocked if starts Bailey. If JG is healthy he is going to play him.

Reactions: VOLSONLY
I understand the frustration. I understand some want to fire another hc; I understand some don't. I don't understand how someone who is a fan can check out, be apathetic, etc. Aren't those 2 things mutually exclusive?
"Checking Out" means that I no longer schedule my Saturday around the damn ball game. If my wife wants to go hiking, visit family, go eat, etc. that's what I will do. Fall Saturdays in my house would be planned solely around UT games in the past. Instead of watching my team get blown out by 3+ touchdowns in 50% of their games, I will get some **** done and enjoy myself. When the administration wants to finally sack up and hire someone that is capable of being a HC in this conference, I may come back around.

he didn't sound like someone saying anything was likely, eihter way. just more of a "be careful what you ask for, you might get it" type deal.
Got it.

He's Fulmer's number 1 media source. There's no one even close. Low is obviously also very tight with Freeze.

I legitimately think he's the best SEC reporter in the business. I take everything he says as the gospel.

So, I'm of two minds on this:

#1: Fulmer might be telling him, "hey, can you try to quiet some of this down. I've put out feelers and Pruitt is our best option."

#2: He's already said he KNOWS Freeze wants the job, so, he's telling the fanbase "this job isn't as good as you think" so the fanbase starts putting pressure on the administration to get that specific deal done as soon as possible.

Swain via Blake Toppmeyer - Fulmer received a 2-year contract extension last May (through 2023); wasn't previously publicized

Interesting, but it really does sound more and more like Fulmer and Pruitt are tied at the hip.

I would argue it might be the opposite - that Fulmer has been given more job stability means he has the backing and authority to do whatever he wants. He's not tied to Pruitt.

Got it.

He's Fulmer's number 1 media source. There's no one even close. Low is obviously also very tight with Freeze.

I legitimately think he's the best SEC reporter in the business. I take everything he says as the gospel.

So, I'm of two minds on this:

#1: Fulmer might be telling him, "hey, can you try to quiet some of this down. I've put out feelers and Pruitt is our best option."

#2: He's already said he KNOWS Freeze wants the job, so, he's telling the fanbase "this job isn't as good as you think" so the fanbase starts putting pressure on the administration to get that specific deal done as soon as possible.

i dont' think it's #2. it didn't sound to me like he was trying to create urgency by telling us "hey, this job isn't what you think it is, better think long and hard about what could happen if you fire this guy, right now"

Two ways this could go down

1. Pruitt is fired and Freeze gets hired very quickly. Vols offense is exciting again and Neyland stadium is rocking again

2. Pruitt is fired and Fulmer announces a search committee and administration goes cheap. Starts off promising but same old story.
I think if they fire him it is to hire Freeze only. Otherwise, he gets another year.

Interesting, but it really does sound more and more like Fulmer and Pruitt are tied at the hip.
I absolutely think they are, and have thought that from the moment Fulmer was hired as AD.

Fulmer gained power in something of a coup a couple of years ago, and he immediately had to hire a football coach. I think in some ways he's thought of not as an AD but as the guy who was brought in to hire a football coach. If his big decision doesn't work out, and it is definitely trending in that direction, there will be moves to remove both of them. Especially if Fulmer is really reluctant to fire Pruitt. Do y'all think Fulmer would fire Pruitt to save his own job? I'm not sure.

Reactions: DarthVol1
I could obviously be wrong. But, I don't see how people are pinning the success of Fulmer as AD based on the Pruitt hire. By the time he took over, it was a **** show. I'm not sure who else he could have hired. So I really hope he isn't hitching his cart solely to the success of Pruitt. If he is AD at the start, Jeremy Pruitt probably isn't our coach.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back