Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
rice krispies, and bad baseball on a 6" blck and white TV
I had one of these bad boys.....
s-l300.jpg

Here is what my BYU friend said about our new CB and LB:

on CB:
Loved this guy for BYU - he started for us and would have started next year too. Originally played for vandy, came to BYU for only one year.

BYU’s defense was so bad that it’s hard to judge how good he is. We played a ton of very soft zone. Seemed to have good length, would have loved to see if he could hold up in man.

I don’t think Tennessee’s defense was all that great either, but I’d guess he’s probably more of a rotational guy for UT. Not sure he’ll come in and start for an SEC team not named Vanderbilt.
I think you guys got Keenan Pili from BYU as well? He was really good two years ago, tore an ACL and hasn’t looked good since. Hope he can get back to form.

On LB:
I think you guys got Keenan Pili from BYU as well? He was really good two years ago, tore an ACL and hasn’t looked good since. Hope he can get back to form.
Both are veteran guys that are intelligent with great work habits/ethic. They will be extremely beneficial in a locker room full of young, talented DBs and LBs. I also expect both to help the defense this fall, but veteran leadership (especially by example) was needed in both position groups.

Poor kid about to get ruined. Would love to be wrong but I have zero faith in Martinez

Fm2A8IuaUAMMEol

These are always fun opinions that people carry. Ruined, lol. So if a coach has coached lots of players and some of them improve tremendously and go on to play in the NFL and then some others play poorly in college and don't develop....I am curious how we defend one of those outcomes without acknowledging the other? Seems like a very emotional response to the situation and not a very logical one. Martinez has examples on his resume of low-ranked players that go on to get drafted and be successful in the NFL. He has highly-ranked players that never develop. Which is pretty common with most coaches. Does it mean he is a perfect coach that does no wrong? Well that would be a pretty ridiculous claim to make. Of course not. Who has hired him and the success of many of his players speaks very clearly to the fact that he man knows how to coach DB's. An immediate view that he will ruin talented DB's once they get to Knoxville is just overly dramatic.

Rant over.

Here is what my BYU friend said about our new CB and LB:

on CB:
Loved this guy for BYU - he started for us and would have started next year too. Originally played for vandy, came to BYU for only one year.

BYU’s defense was so bad that it’s hard to judge how good he is. We played a ton of very soft zone. Seemed to have good length, would have loved to see if he could hold up in man.

I don’t think Tennessee’s defense was all that great either, but I’d guess he’s probably more of a rotational guy for UT. Not sure he’ll come in and start for an SEC team not named Vanderbilt.

On LB:

well that doesn't sound too exciting... so according to this guy, we are gaining just a couple of rotation guys? With all the talent that's been in the portal on defense, I hope this doesn't turn out to be the case... would be disappointing for sure.

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back