Recruiting Forum Football Talk VI

Status
Not open for further replies.
Had to skip ahead.
HS graduation for my daughter.
College orientation already!
Now I’m at Parkland’s Camp for Burn Injured Children (disabled children’s camp for the week). Poor service here, so I’m going to get behind again.

But I still believe

15-0 🤠

I’m at Camp I-Thonka-Chi
Choctaw for “a place that makes one brave and fearless, not afraid to face life”

Parkland hospital is a regional burn center. As a 2nd year resident, I was asked to be the camp doc for the camp’s first full week camp. That was 1992. I was hooked. Camp has definitely shaped who I am as a physician, person, parent, friend, and even spouse.

It’s at a camp that’s set up for children with disabilities. Every week of the Summer, they have a different camp. The week before us is renal camp, the week after us is Spina Bifida camp, and so on throughout the Summer.

This year marks my 25th year to be the camp doctor. I’ve had to miss a couple of camps due to family illness or family obligations. My wife is a Pediatrician and we share medical duties. She is illness and I am injury.
My contract with my group states that I have the week of camp off work. As I told a previous employer, I can find another job, but I can’t find another Burn Camp.

Many of the counselors are former campers. Firefighters, nurses, etc. The amazing thing to me are the kids that were in my cabin in the early years are now counselors. One young man started camp at age 8. He turns 38 later this year. The Lord works here at Camp every year. Throughout the years, I have found a firefighter sitting apart crying. When I ask if I can help, the story goes like this: The firefighter tells me that a camper in his/her cabin told them how the camper was burned. The firefighter realizes that he/she was the first responder who rescued the camper. The firefighter then says these tears are joyous knowing that their life’s work is justified and that they have been shown this by a higher power. What are the odds that they save this child’s life, thinking that the child won’t make it only to meet the child years later and see that same child running around playing!

This camp and these people and experiences is the reason for my unending optimism about just about everything in life.

15-0 🤠
Dang allergies.

1685999674484.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.

VN Store

Back