Regardless of Oregon outcome

joevol33

1st official VN BB bracket winner
VN Pick Champion
I'm happy they didn't buy this game out like with North Carolina. Probably one of the most embarrassing moments for me as a vols fan. Play the good teams, that's how you get better.

Reactions: 5 people
I know I'm in the minority on this, but really believe what this program needs after last 4 years is wins, not a long road trip for a beat down.

Reactions: 3 people
National exposure can't help but increase the recruiting ability. That and our snazzy new uniforms will catch the eyes of the new young athletes.:popcorn:

I'm happy they didn't buy this game out like with North Carolina. Probably one of the most embarrassing moments for me as a vols fan. Play the good teams, that's how you get better.

Oregon fans are also happy about that. I don't know what UO's pre-conference would have looked like...

I know I'm in the minority on this, but really believe what this program needs after last 4 years is wins, not a long road trip for a beat down.

Have to agree, but when this was scheduled years ago, no way to be sure UO would still be so good and we would just now be getting the right coaches in place. What if we were suddenly a top 5 team and winning this game could propel is us up a notch or two sorta like those crimson elephants did a few years ago. If we were top 5, we would relish the thought of playing a top team, but at this point in time and being undermanned, it will be tough. If we had hired this coaching staff instead of Dooley, we would have been much further along. It is what it is (don't you hate that phrase?)

Last edited:
Reactions: 1 person
Have to agree, but when this was scheduled years ago, no way to be sure OU would still be so good and we would just now be getting the right coaches in place. What if we were suddenly a top 5 team and winning this game could propel is us up a notch or two sorta like those crimson elephants did a few years ago. If we were top 5, we would relish the thought of playing a top team, but at this point in time and being undermanned, it will be tough. If we had hired this coaching staff instead of Dooley, we would have been much further along. It is what it is (don't you hate that phrase?)

Dooley didn't schedule hosting OU in 2010, either. I'm not a Dooley defender or apologist, but the schedule is what it is.

Next year UT plays Oklahoma. And don't forget, Oregon was AT UVA last weekend. Schedules can be tough. It is what it is.

Dooley didn't schedule hosting OU in 2010, either. I'm not a Dooley defender or apologist, but the schedule is what it is.

Next year UT plays Oklahoma. And don't forget, Oregon was AT UVA last weekend. Schedules can be tough. It is what it is.

Yeah but Virginia looks like a 6th grade junior varsity team. Oregon wasn't tested like they will be when the Big Orange head into Eugene. Go Vols!!

Yeah but Virginia looks like a 6th grade junior varsity team. Oregon wasn't tested like they will be when the Big Orange head into Eugene. Go Vols!!

Albeit a JV team that beat a team that absolutely abused Texas on the ground. Now, Texas is clearly not good -- their D is certainly much inferior to UVa's.

Albeit a JV team that beat a team that absolutely abused Texas on the ground. Now, Texas is clearly not good -- their D is certainly much inferior to UVa's.

Manny Diaz may truly be as inept as Sal. But Mack Brown's seat is getting significantly warmer. Who cares though, we are the ONLY UT!! Go Vols!!

I haven't seen the VOLS live yet this year... only highlights. I can tell by the posts and what people are saying about the team that we have improved. It was so embarrassing last year. They did look like a JV team on the field. This coaching staff seems to have it together, and maybe we are about to turn the corner. I think we will see a much better team on Saturday in Eugene. IF things go south, like they normally do against the Ducks, I hope we continue to compete and not have the deer in the headlights look. If we do lose, I hope we look good doing it. BY that I mean that we still stick to the game plan and don't lay down and keep the game close. From looking at highlights, I can't tell if we look organized..ie substitutions, people being in position before the snap. I really want us to get back on top. About 12 teams a year find out how hard it is to play Oregon. Nearly everyone gets run out of the stadium. I hope our teams confidence continues to grow and it isn't shattered by the first sign of adversity. We WILL get back the Big Stage where we used to be, and I see this as a huge stepping stone to get there. I will be wearing my orange Vols cap and big T shirt at the golf course on Saturday. Go Vols!

I don't mean to be annoying; Oregon is "UO," Oklahoma is "OU." It's a fussy little pet peeve of UO fans.

Buying out games is cowardly, IMO.

Hamilton as our A.D. was one of the darkest moments in U.T. history......

(1) Bought out UNC game.

(2) Hired Kiffin.

(3) Fired Fulmer, due to fan pressure.

(4) Let Pearl's firing slip in the media the day of our NCAA tourney game against Michigan. Then we lose by 20 or more point to Michigan..... Players not motivated
after they found out of Pearl's imminent firing.

His only saving grace is that he was able to raise ALOT of money for the program......

I disagree. You get better by getting better players and doing a better job coaching them to their potential. Getting curb stomped by the 2nd best team in the nation doesn't help our team.

Using our 4 OOC games for a few years as sure wins will help us achieve bowl eligibility and eventual winning seasons. With winning seasons comes exposure and with exposure comes rankings.

If this game was against a TCU, we'd have a much better chance in the game and still get great exposure.

It doesn't hurt us either IMO. That's how you get better.

If we lose out on bowl eligibility for the 3rd year in a row because of a loss in the OOC, then it most certainly hurts us.

Boise played, on average, 1 ranked team per season during their rise to prominence. They got to that high level by good coaching, stockpiling wins, and getting into big games during bowl season.

Alabama, Georgia, South Carolina, Florida

adding Oregon to that list doesn't help us any.

Wussing out and running away from a scheduled opponent, not only doesn't help us...IT HURTS US...not sure why this is being argued now...this game is going on Saturday. Tony Basillio was a bulldog on this...I guess nothing was learned from the UNC fiasco
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Wussing out and running away from a scheduled opponent, not only doesn't help us...IT HURTS US...not sure why this is being argued now...this game is going on Saturday. Tony Basillio was a bulldog on this...I guess nothing was learned from the UNC fiasco
Posted via VolNation Mobile

I'm not saying that we should back out of the game, I'm simply arguing that playing this game does more bad than good, unless we somehow manage to win (which is highly, highly unlikely). When we are struggling to reach bowl eligibility and those extra practices hang in the balance, taking 4 cupcakes in the OOC until we can tread water in the SEC is smarter.

VN Store

Back