Remember 9/11

I literally cried when I first saw that day this stuff happening. It is still almost unbelievable even though I sat and watched most of it live.

Reactions: marcusluvsvols
I literally cried when I first saw that day this stuff happening. It is still almost unbelievable even though I sat and watched most of it live.

Man I was just in 6th grade in homeroom when they sat us down and told us about it.
All the teachers crying, not knowing what was going on, our nation under attack.

15 years later we have mobs "BLM" burning towns down,
People making 15+mill to thow a dead animal skin around sitting against the flag, and the worst two people running for the highest office.

It rips my heart out. I hope all the family's that was affected the worse by 9/11 have a peaceful day!

I was sick at home by myself. I had just hit an age where the atrocities in the world were becoming apparent as the bubble of my childhood was bursting. I fully absorbed what was happening and was glued to the television for hours. I didn't sleep much that week and saw that some kids in my class were failing to grasp the gravity of what had occurred. My dad told me that their parents had sheltered them from the graphic nature of things, and that I was privileged to get a headstart on what vicarious pain truly felt like.

Needless to say, it was one of the most pivotal moments in my adolescence. I will never forget that day.

My brother chaired an environmental information exchange among American university environmental departments about the shrinking Aral Sea. The exchanges offices were not in the Trade Center complex, but right beside it. He and Columbia students worked out of the university, but many of the staff were Uzbeks who did on site research (toxic data sampling & etc) around the Aral Sea, and so the offices (just a few rooms) were empty. But, damage to the building required demolition. He knew folk who worked in The Towers. It forced closing the exchange. He won't talk about it, ever.
God bless the families.

Never forget.

Do you remember no jet contrails in the sky for days? Go outside to get away from TV coverage. Then look in a clear blue sky and feel the rage, and wait for my brother to tell me one or more of his staff was missing.

Was halfway back to the States from a 6 month deployment to the Gulf. We turned around and weren't told why until about a week later. That 6 month deployment ended up being a 11 month deployment. I didn't see what had happened until we got back nearly a year later.

Was halfway back to the States from a 6 month deployment to the Gulf. We turned around and weren't told why until about a week later. That 6 month deployment ended up being a 11 month deployment. I didn't see what had happened until we got back nearly a year later.

About three weeks after the attacks, we got put on a 24 notice to deploy, destination classified and the works. Issued brand new uniforms and told to pack "like we weren't coming home for a while."

We ended up in Egypt for Bright Star, but until we landed, we had no idea where we were going. However, the heavy weapons teams that were there about a month before us ended up forward deploying from there to the Stan and didn't come back for another nine months.

Crazy times in the military, that's for sure.

Skipped my morning class as it all started before I had to be up for that. Went to my afternoon philosophy class. I think maybe one or two people didn't show. It was like a group therapy session. To me it was like when someone in your family dies, you try to do the normal and stop dwelling on it. Mom called begging us to come home because Oak Ridge was a suspected target. People packed up and went home for it seemed no other reason than it was somehow appropriate. Guys talked long into the night about heading to the recruiting station the next day. Several actually joined up. Came very close myself. People lined up to give blood that simply wasn't needed. It just made sense though. Entire thing thing was surreal, even now watching on tv what you watched live doesn't seem like it could be real.

Fun fact, Steve Buscemi joined his old fire department to help rescue people. He did full shifts and declined publicity opportunities so he could work uninterrupted.

'murica!

I did not know that.

He's always been one of my favorite actors. So, this certainly is icing on the cake as far as I'm concerned.

I was about to get out of the military in a few months. As I watched this on TV I was like, "damn, I'm getting stop lossed".

Then a week later I spent 4 months in the biggest sh!tholes on planet earth.

I was about to get out of the military in a few months. As I watched this on TV I was like, "damn, I'm getting stop lossed".

Then a week later I spent 4 months in the biggest sh!tholes on planet earth.

Where exactly? A week later? Not being a smart ass, genuinely intrigued.

Where exactly? A week later? Not being a smart ass, genuinely intrigued.

Pakistan. Used it as a staging ground for Special Forces to open a radar free corridor into Afghanistan for the bombing campaign. The last few weeks in September this took place and then we started bombing the hell out of them in early October. It was fun, scary, and not fun, all at the same time.

I actually left stateside 3 days after 9/11 and, along with a whole bunch of actual bad asses, hung out in the ME until we found a place to stage operations, only took like 3 days.

Pakistan. Used it as a staging ground for Special Forces to open a radar free corridor into Afghanistan for the bombing campaign. The last few weeks in September this took place and then we started bombing the hell out of them in early October. It was fun, scary, and not fun, all at the same time.

I actually left stateside 3 days after 9/11 and, along with a whole bunch of actual bad asses, hung out in the ME until we found a place to stage operations, only took like 3 days.

Gotcha, I'm always interested in what actually happened and what we were told at the time. I knew we had CIA team guys on the ground within 48-72 hours because of Natgeo, but I didn't know your part in it. Thanks for the response.

My brother chaired an environmental information exchange among American university environmental departments about the shrinking Aral Sea. The exchanges offices were not in the Trade Center complex, but right beside it. He and Columbia students worked out of the university, but many of the staff were Uzbeks who did on site research (toxic data sampling & etc) around the Aral Sea, and so the offices (just a few rooms) were empty. But, damage to the building required demolition. He knew folk who worked in The Towers. It forced closing the exchange. He won't talk about it, ever.
God bless the families.

Never forget.

I'd like to know what all they found while sampling around the Aral Sea. It's hard to believe what the Russians did there.

I had never stepped in the US when 9/11 happened, but understood that nothing was going to be the same again. I remember how all of us were horrified by what was being shown on TV.

I'd like to know what all they found while sampling around the Aral Sea. It's hard to believe what the Russians did there.

They were able to get the USGS to do a baseline toxicity survey of the streams around the Aral. I never heard the results. He may not either because after 9/11 the Uzbeks they were working with requested out, which along with the loss of their offices, shut down their program. I'd bet someone has the data, here or Uzbekistan.

The Soviets took the flow from the two rivers that fed the Aral for irrigation of the land between their headwaters and the sea. This was mid last century when pesticides and herbicides were much more toxic (DDT, etc) and the fertilizers. All either put in the water or otherwise, then carried into the sea by runoff. But the flow interruption caused the receding of the sea, thus microclimate changes, and duststorms which pick up the chemicals to spread. So those are the original toxic compounds. The quantity was sufficient that it was concentrated in mother's milk and affected babies within 2 weeks of birth, so they were placing filtration in maternity wards and pre birth programs.

For all those who don't remember 9/11, when you watch programs of the towers collapsing, until those of us watching got better information, we thought the towers had many, many more souls inside as they fell. We were horrified as some estimates were well above 5,000 people still inside each tower.

Man I was just in 6th grade in homeroom when they sat us down and told us about it.
All the teachers crying, not knowing what was going on, our nation under attack.

15 years later we have mobs "BLM" burning towns down,
People making 15+mill to thow a dead animal skin around sitting against the flag, and the worst two people running for the highest office.

It rips my heart out. I hope all the family's that was affected the worse by 9/11 have a peaceful day!

No offense, but why are you conflating the issues. What happened on 9/11 was horrible, but it has no bearing on whether someone is disappointed in the racial equality progress being made in this country.

They were able to get the USGS to do a baseline toxicity survey of the streams around the Aral. I never heard the results. He may not either because after 9/11 the Uzbeks they were working with requested out, which along with the loss of their offices, shut down their program. I'd bet someone has the data, here or Uzbekistan.

The Soviets took the flow from the two rivers that fed the Aral for irrigation of the land between their headwaters and the sea. This was mid last century when pesticides and herbicides were much more toxic (DDT, etc) and the fertilizers. All either put in the water or otherwise, then carried into the sea by runoff. But the flow interruption caused the receding of the sea, thus microclimate changes, and duststorms which pick up the chemicals to spread. So those are the original toxic compounds. The quantity was sufficient that it was concentrated in mother's milk and affected babies within 2 weeks of birth, so they were placing filtration in maternity wards and pre birth programs.

I figured it would be a pretty nasty scenario. I couldn't believe my eyes the first time I learned what has been going on over there. Large boats sitting on the ground 20 plus miles from the coast and etc. it's truly mind blowing.

I think every American who was old enough to understand at all what happened on that infamous day can tell us exactly where they were, what they were doing, etc when those horrific attacks were made.

I was 23yo, and as luck would have it stopped by my moms house during a work day. I was burying cables as a subcontractor for TimeWarner in Charlotte. Had a map book because it was pre-GPS so each morning after picking up work orders, i had to sit down for a bit...look up each address...and make as efficient of a route as possible for the jobs i would go bury each day. I stopped by Moms house and was working on my route when her TV was interrupted. We watched live as the 1st tower burned, and saw the 2nd plane strike the tower on live TV...

My mom was crying early on. As we watched together...nearly silent and only listening to the TV...we noticed men and women began jumping out the windows on the higher floors to avoid being burned to death alive. I remember watching the first woman falling...i said to my own Mom " THAT is somebody's MOM...their Dads. Never coming home from work."

And we wept. Together. Love you Mom. Always.

VN Store

Back