Remember when we were ranked for a week?

i remember when we were ranked highly ,year in and out,i can feel it getting close to happening again

Go Vols

Reactions: 9 people
I certainly hope we get back to that status, however the game (especially the SEC) has changed. When UT was sporting top 10's the SEC had 2-3 good teams (UF, UT, Bama & UGA occasionally, and a rare season from Ark).

Now, the league is loaded and even better at the top and middle. With UT's schedule year in and year out they will have to perform nearly flawless to crack the top 10. It's just a new era of the SEC.

Remember the time Bobby Boucher showed up at halftime and the Mud Dogs won the Bourbon Bowl, do ya?

tumblr_ltskhcRyb21qh0qluo1_500.gif

Reactions: 30 people
Boys to get back to the top it will take 3 or 4 recruiting classes like we got going now, so thats 3 or 4 years, some people wont to hear that but to get all the way back where we are a top 5 program every year, thats what its going to take, a lot of people think you can just fire the coach and get another and talk it up a little and bang top 10, No IT DOES not work like that, we got alot of growing pains to go threw, this program reminds me of Michigan of about 4 years ago. When the going gets tough we got to hang in there with coach and know better days are ahead, im afraid alot of people are going to be in for a big let down. Remember one thing in the end we will rise to the top.

That was a pretty cool week being ranked. All good things must come to an end. Cant wait til August 29th, go frickin vols

I certainly hope we get back to that status, however the game (especially the SEC) has changed. When UT was sporting top 10's the SEC had 2-3 good teams (UF, UT, Bama & UGA occasionally, and a rare season from Ark).

Now, the league is loaded and even better at the top and middle. With UT's schedule year in and year out they will have to perform nearly flawless to crack the top 10. It's just a new era of the SEC.

horse crap,the Vols fought there way to the top then and it wasn't a cake walk in the SEC when they did and it isn't now,they will still have to slug it out for sure,the SEC has all ways been one of the premier alliances and stands heads and shoulders above them all now,but i think there on the way,yes it will take some time,there are no quick fixes in the SEC,but it is brick by brick down the Orange and White road

Last edited:
Reactions: 5 people
That was a pretty cool week being ranked. All good things must come to an end. Cant wait til August 29th, go frickin vols

I feel sorry for you younger guys who can only remember from the2000"s and on because being ranked for 1 week at 23, 24, 25 really just sucks hard.

Reactions: 1 person
horse crap,the Vols fought there way to the top then and it wasn't a cake walk in the SEC when they did and it isn't now,they will still have to slug it out for sure,the SEC has all ways been on of the premier alliances and stands heads and shoulders above them all now,but i think there on the way,yes it will take some time,there are no quick fixes in the SEC,but it is brick by brick down the Orange and White road

Agree; I believe that the SEC has always been good. The '98 Vols beat six Top 25 teams along the way, four from the SEC (F #2, UGA #7, #10 ARK, #23 Miss St).

I also believe punctuation is your friend. Especially the period.

:):):)

Reactions: 2 people
horse crap,the Vols fought there way to the top then and it wasn't a cake walk in the SEC when they did and it isn't now,they will still have to slug it out for sure,the SEC has all ways been on of the premier alliances and stands heads and shoulders above them all now,but i think there on the way,yes it will take some time,there are no quick fixes in the SEC,but it is brick by brick down the Orange and White road

comparatively speaking, it was a cake walk in the 90's.

from 1993-1998 florida was 47-5 in sec play.

You really want to compare, top to bottom, the SEC from the late 80's & 90's to now?

Let's just look at it since divisional play began in 1992:

SEC East:

UF- Good to great for the last 20+ years.
UGA- The early 90's teams would remind you of last year's UT team. Offensive talent everywhere, but no D
USC- They sucked
Vandy- They sucked
UK- They sucked

SEC West (UT played Bama & Ark every year)

Bama: Mixed Bag but most pretty good
Ark: 1 or 2 decent seasons but mostly middle to bad

LSU- Not very good when UT played them '92 & '93
Miss State- Sucked (beat UT when they had no QB in '94. Got hammered by UT in '95)
Ole Miss- Sucked in '96 & '97 but UT was very good
Auburn- UT played them in '97, '98, '99 (good in '97, ok in '98 & '99)

Now look at the SEC today:

Bama- Elite
LSU- Borderline Elite
UGA- Very Good
UF- Very Good
USC- Pretty Damn Good
Miss State- Medium
Ole Miss- Medium
Ark- Was improved until Petrino incident.
Auburn- Wash from the '90's when UT played them
UK- Wash
Vandy- Improved to Middle

You really want to compare, top to bottom, the SEC from the late 80's & 90's to now?

Let's just look at it since divisional play began in 1992:

SEC East:

UF- Good to great for the last 20+ years.
UGA- The early 90's teams would remind you of last year's UT team. Offensive talent everywhere, but no D
USC- They sucked
Vandy- They sucked
UK- They sucked

SEC West (UT played Bama & Ark every year)

Bama: Mixed Bag but most pretty good
Ark: 1 or 2 decent seasons but mostly middle to bad

LSU- Not very good when UT played them '92 & '93
Miss State- Sucked (beat UT when they had no QB in '94. Got hammered by UT in '95)
Ole Miss- Sucked in '96 & '97 but UT was very good
Auburn- UT played them in '97, '98, '99 (good in '97, ok in '98 & '99)

Now look at the SEC today:

Bama- Elite
LSU- Borderline Elite
UGA- Very Good
UF- Very Good
USC- Pretty Damn Good
Miss State- Medium
Ole Miss- Medium
Ark- Was improved until Petrino incident.
Auburn- Wash from the '90's when UT played them
UK- Wash
Vandy- Improved to Middle

The main difference is that we suck. The same number of SEC teams finish in the top 25 each year. We just aren't a part of it now. In 2009 for example UF was the only ranked team from the East and I think only three were ranked from the West. One large difference is the SEC is pimped on ESPN now instead of the Big Ten. Another change in the landscape is the fact that FSU, Miami and Nebraska are no longer elite for various reasons.

The SEC is scary right now. If Hart had bungled this hire (and I don't think he did), it could have permanently killed our program, or at least set us back a decade until other teams hit catastrophes of their own.

We were on life support when CBJ was hired. Another year of Dooley (or a bad hire) and we're finishing near dead last in SEC recruiting and regular season standings yet again, while teams like UK, Vandy, Ole Miss, and MSU get stronger and widen the gap.

I don't think many people realize how close to the absolute bottom of the league we were (and are).

Those teams would destroy your current squad that went 11-1 last year.

I agree, and that was my main point. The SEC East was better than the West and UT/ UF were above the other teams.

Had UT been able to beat UF from '93-'96, don't you think UT's trophy case would have 4 more SEC trophies in it? Maybe additional hardware?

VN Store

Back