Reports abound ,Stackhouse to resign tomorrow from Vandy.

Kevin Stallings did FAR more at Vandy. 7 NCAAT appearances and 2 Sweet 16s. So no, Stack is not close to being the best they could hire.

My question is, would Barnes consider bringing him on as an assistant if there is an opening? He has a relationship and Stack is a really good X's and O's coach. He just didn't have the talent to compete at Vandy, but could bring a lot as an assisant.
I think Stack is a really good coach (co SEC coach of the year just last year). I also think it’s going to be extremely difficult for any coach to win at Vandy with their lack of NIL and the transfer portal. Their best players will continue to be raided and even the best coaches can’t win without talent.

Kevin Stallings did FAR more at Vandy. 7 NCAAT appearances and 2 Sweet 16s. So no, Stack is not close to being the best they could hire.

My question is, would Barnes consider bringing him on as an assistant if there is an opening? He has a relationship and Stack is a really good X's and O's coach. He just didn't have the talent to compete at Vandy, but could bring a lot as an assisant.

Stallings was also hired at a much different time than now. When he was hired Vandy still was trying in basketball to be good. I don't know if they'd go after a Stallings type now.

The Vandy job is a little similar to the city school northeast and midwest schools that mostly compete in the Big East. The problem is that they have to compete head to head with big state schools and big state school money. Some of the Big East schools prove it can still get done it's just not as easy. Some of those jobs have lost their luster. Georgetown, St. Johns, and Depaul for example. It takes great coaches like Jay Wright at Villanova. They have suddenly come back down to earth since he retired.

Stansberry. And as good a coach as Rick Stansberry is…even he couldn’t overcome the dysfunctional inept Tigers culture. Even when ranked 10th the Tigers were always fools gold.
Coach Penny was too concerned about his team not getting ranked early on. Instead he should have focused on just winning the next game. They have no commitment to Defense, they'll be lucky to make the NIT.

Reactions: tennrich1
Have to wonder if the NEW NCAA WORLD ORDER in the SCOTUS driven NIL world is the end of the line for Vandy in the SEC.

Having graduated from Belmont in the NAIA days, just down the street, I had a soft spot for them when NOT playing us or UT. Several of my college days buds with no UT ties and easy access to attending games became fans.

But I foresee a serious realignment of the Top 50 or so teams into super conferences IN a new Division and that will be the end of sharing a conference with Vandy. Not immediately, but it will be required. Whether that is within in the NCAA or not TBD. Might be easier if NOT.

Won’t repeat my 3 18 team 3 6 team pod conference structure. But comprised of schools that can deal in both FB and BB in the bigtime world. Biggest loss will be March Madness as we have known it. Lots of TV money would follow, but enough for the rest to survive.

A RESTRUCTURED SEC and BIG 18, and a cobbled together West of the Mississippi conference is the short description.

Reactions: TrumpedUpVol
Stansbury is not a good head coach. 21 seasons and he’s never been past the round of 32. The last seven years at Western Kentucky he didn’t take them to a single NCAA Tournament. And if you scoff and say they’re a mid-major, they are, but they’ve also been to the tournament 23 times, with two Elite Eights and one Final Four, so it should be a semi-regular occurrence.

Although he is better than Kevin O’Neill.
I’ll certainly disagree but that’s ok. Rick is considered an excellent strategist and game planner. While it’s true Rick has struggled with personal issues (probably related to the mental stresss of being a head coach) he knows basketball and how to efficiently coach it. I didn’t want to bring up the issues he’s had but it has a massive bearing on his head coaching issues in the past.

I’ll certainly disagree but that’s ok. Rick is considered an excellent strategist and game planner. While it’s true Rick has struggled with personal issues (probably related to the mental stresss of being a head coach) he knows basketball and how to efficiently coach it. I didn’t want to bring up the issues he’s had but it has a massive bearing on his head coaching issues in the past.
I have heard about some of that, as well. It’s unfortunate.

Yeah but my question is, is that something being talked about by Vandy "insider fans" or is it legit? Heck we can come up with stuff like that on VN and we always do. Just look at the Lady Vols forum, they're pissed and want Kellie gone (and rightfully so, IMO) but it wouldn't surprise me to see them draft their own resignation forms too.
Yeah but my question is, is that something being talked about by Vandy "insider fans" or is it legit? Heck we can come up with stuff like that on VN and we always do. Just look at the Lady Vols forum, they're pissed and want Kellie gone (and rightfully so, IMO) but it wouldn't surprise me to see them draft their own resignation forms too.
You can bet a good chunk of cash 💰 that if it becomes evident Kellie will be replaced at the end of the season, she will get the exact same treatment.

Reactions: supersmo18

Winners surround themselves with winners, Barnes is not stupid enough to bring in a loser

Winners surround themselves with winners, Barnes is not stupid enough to bring in a loser
You think Stackhouse is a loser because of what he did as a Head Coach at Vanderbilt? What a myopic point of view. He's been a winner his whole life. That's how he got the Vandy job.

But I guess you're right. Rick Barnes' wouldn't hire an Assistant with, say, a 58-70 career record as a Head Coach, his last season being 6-24. Because, you know, Rick Barnes doesn't surround himself with losers like Rob Lanier.

I always thought Vandy should try to tap into the whole country music scene. Get some artists to come to games when they're in town and use it to your advantage with NIL. Just seems like a natural connection.

Reactions: Volfan1000
Penny is Memphis' problem now, not sure where they go once the Penny experiment is over, but they have been on the outside looking in at the Big 12 realignment and they are going nowhere in conference reconfiguration, wonder why?

Vanderbilt won't have a lot of choices post Stackhouse, they are 20 years behind the conference in facilities, donors, cultivating a fan base beyond the campus zip code, now residing in the most competitive conference in virtually all team sports, not sure why an up and coming young basketball coach would want the potential career derailment over on the West End of Nashville.

Reactions: Volfan1000
I always thought Vandy should try to tap into the whole country music scene. Get some artists to come to games when they're in town and use it to your advantage with NIL. Just seems like a natural connection.
The Vandy administration looks down their noses
at country music artists and fans.

Reactions: Woodlawn VOL
He played 18 seasons in the NBA with career earnings of over $84 million in salaries alone. If he doesn’t have a net worth of over $150 million then he’s been a fool with his money. He should be wealthy enough to have a personal taylor.
Swift?

They got their second branch from the Pat Head Summit tree so they can just live with it. No reason to keep throwing good money after bad. Put that money where you're getting a return on your investment.

Reactions: supersmo18
I'm thinking he wants to be a head coach thus he'd only do that if it was a path to the top gig. Guys like that don't toil around as an assistant for long.
The guy is likely filthy rich. He’s a HOF nba player. I don’t see him humbling himself to become an assistant somewhere. JMO

VN Store

Back