Rivals Number 1

Our average star could go up a lot with some of the big fish we have on the line right now. Top 250 guys like hendrix, bates, Malone, cornwell, dj smith, gaulden, mcdowell and kamara would boost that number considerably. Not to mention all the 4 star talent were in on like barnett, ford, mosley etc... We have a great shot with a lot of these guys so that number will likely change in a good way. And dont forget only the top 20 count so some of the lesser ranked guys won't effect that when we get enough to stop counting them.

So only the top 20 count as far as the final ranking goes? That makes sense. So once signing day comes around it should all level out somewhat. ND's average is almost a 4. UT will need to replace some lower rated recruits with some of those guys you mentioned to keep pace.

Still, nice job by the staff.

tumblr_m7fh34EcU31rzjjfeo1_250.gif

Reactions: 2 people
Sent the link to my wife. She works with a bama fan/alumni and she said he started flipping out. Said he saw that Tennessee had moved up to number one and was making excuses as to why bama is not in that spot.

And stated he would bet anyone that bama finishes ahead of the vols on signing day. Lmao. Bama fans are starting to feel the heat.

I'm thinking of taking the bet.....

So only the top 20 count as far as the final ranking goes? That makes sense. So once signing day comes around it should all level out somewhat. ND's average is almost a 4. UT will need to replace some lower rated recruits with some of those guys you mentioned to keep pace.

Still, nice job by the staff.

If you take a look at the composite scores you will see how close a lot of our guys are to being bumped up and most likely will.

So look at it this way - a bunch of our 3 star guys are VERY close to their 4th star and will probably achieve that by NSD.

If you take a look at the composite scores you will see how close a lot of our guys are to being bumped up and most likely will.

So look at it this way - a bunch of our 3 star guys are VERY close to their 4th star and will probably achieve that by NSD.

Thanks for the explanation. I guess what I don't understand is what difference does it make (for instance) whether Hurd or Kelly are 4 or 5 star players? They're still coming to UT and will have the expected impact. Does that impact increase with another star?

Thanks for the explanation. I guess what I don't understand is what difference does it make (for instance) whether Hurd or Kelly are 4 or 5 star players? They're still coming to UT and will have the expected impact. Does that impact increase with another star?

it helps with the image of the program and helps get our name out there more to the big time recruits if we have 5 star guys. Other than that no.

The Dooley apologists must be wringing their hands right about now! What were the excuses?

1.) We always start slow in recruiting and finish strong.

2.) Let's not go by stars! Dooley doesn't go by stars but rather relys on his own evaluations.

3.) Dooley's great at finding diamonds in rough.

4.) How can anyone expect Dooley to recruit well when we've been so terrible for so long?

I know it's still early and no, we probably won't finish first overall in recruiting come February. But tell me, when was the last time recruiting was this exciting for us?

Reactions: 1 person
Sent the link to my wife. She works with a bama fan/alumni and she said he started flipping out. Said he saw that Tennessee had moved up to number one and was making excuses as to why bama is not in that spot.

And stated he would bet anyone that bama finishes ahead of the vols on signing day. Lmao. Bama fans are starting to feel the heat.

I'm thinking of taking the bet.....

I would leave the bet on the table for a while longer. The reason that the current Pied Piper of Recruiting, aka Nick Saban, is reeling in all of those no. 1-ranked classes is due to the ridiculous number of top-100 players that he lands. They snagged 11 of those last year (see Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - Rivals.com Rivals100 2013). Butch is doing exceptionally well, but, before we can realistically expect to match that number, a lot of the "best-of-the-best" will want to assess the onfield product that Butch is offering.

no, I don't think that you have a much higher impact. I was really responding to your comment on dropping some of the lower rated guys in favor of better athletes - which I agree you recruit the best talent you can get.

Just stating that a lot of those lower rated by stars are on the cusp of being more highly rated. and if they attend camps, as most will, that rating will go up.

As to the other posters comment on only 20 counting: Pretty sure that once your class is signed rivals only ranks based on the top 20 players from a universities class - has nothing to do with how many we can actually take in a class - just they way they average them out; probably a bit easier to write a generic spreadsheet formula for that!

We all know that ratings are suspect and YMMV - but - its still the best indicator of future success available to the masses.

I would leave the bet on the table for a while longer. The reason that the current Pied Piper of Recruiting, aka Nick Saban, is reeling in all of those no. 1-ranked classes is due to the ridiculous number of top-100 players that he lands. They snagged 11 of those last year (see Yahoo Sports: Rivals.com Ranking - Rivals.com Rivals100 2013). Butch is doing exceptionally well, but, before we can realistically expect to match that number, a lot of the "best-of-the-best" will want to assess the onfield product that Butch is offering.

And to add to that - most of those guys won't announce until late in the season or on NSD. Lots can happen between now and then.

Im excited we have the #1 class in the nation right now, and I hate to be a negavol but has anyone thought something smells fishy? I certainly hope not, but form almost dead last in the SEC 2 years in a row to the #1 recruiting class? Obviously recruiting class rankings do not play the actual games but either Butch Jones and staff are geniuses or...

Im excited we have the #1 class in the nation right now, and I hate to be a negavol but has anyone thought something smells fishy? I certainly hope not, but form almost dead last in the SEC 2 years in a row to the #1 recruiting class? Obviously recruiting class rankings do not play the actual games but either Butch Jones and staff are geniuses or...

Derek Dooley

And to add to that - most of those guys won't announce until late in the season or on NSD. Lots can happen between now and then.

Yep. That was when Fulmer did his best fishing, simply because he was going after the proverbial whales. We can also hope that all of our commitments stay injury free and have great senior seasons so as to further boost their individual rankings.

If he is placing players into the NFL, others will go to UT. Anybody that thinks 4 and 5 star players are about anything other than getting themselves into the pros is just deluding themselves.

Also don't forget some of the commits we have right now MAY (should) bump up to 5 stars when its all said and done

Thought this should get it's own thread with all of the light it brings. GO BIG ORANGE!!!! ... On Rivals ... right now...it says "Top Vols" man that sounds good!

College Sports: Rivals.com

Hopefully, we now begin to go after and get a serious number of OL and DL big men which we sorely will need 2014 onwards. Along serious secondary talent.

The Dooley apologists must be wringing their hands right about now! What were the excuses?

1.) We always start slow in recruiting and finish strong.

2.) Let's not go by stars! Dooley doesn't go by stars but rather relys on his own evaluations.

3.) Dooley's great at finding diamonds in rough.

4.) How can anyone expect Dooley to recruit well when we've been so terrible for so long?

I know it's still early and no, we probably won't finish first overall in recruiting come February. But tell me, when was the last time recruiting was this exciting for us?

It would be more exciting if people would just stop Dooleyizing practically everything. The man is gone, Gone, GOne, GONe, GONE. Let him stay gone We got a Butch in charge now.

Also don't forget some of the commits we have right now MAY (should) bump up to 5 stars when its all said and done

When all was said and done, Rivals awarded that coveted fifth star to 33 prospects last year. If they follow roughly the same trajectory this year, Jalen Hurd almost certainly will receive that grade. Josh Malone is really close to the cusp right now at no. 38. Dillon Bates, however, still has some climbing to do in all likelihood. He is currently ranked no. 59 nationally.

in another thread they said we were only taking 14 this class
did i miss something? surely that's not right

We were being funny...it happens on here
Posted via VolNation Mobile

VN Store

Back