Riyahd Not Practicing, Dallas On Defense

VolnJC

I hope there isn't some eligibilty issues with Jones!

It wasn’t the Harlem Globetrotters, but it was … something.

Tennessee started its second two-a-day of fall camp Monday morning with a three-man weave, accompanied by Sweet Georgia Brown playing over the practice field speakers.

To make matters more difficult, the player about to pitch the football in the weave had to call out the name of the person he was pitching to.

“It’s not a joke,” Butch Jones shouted into the practice field mic. ” … It’s hand-eye coordination.”

Running back Marlin Lane was in a green jersey, as was Justin King, Curt Maggitt and tight end Alex Ellis during the special teams-focused workout.

Mo Couch (calf strain), Paul Harris (walking boot on right foot) and Josh Smith (brace on right knee) did not practice. Michael F. Williams was in ‘The Hole,’ working on the side with trainers.

Freshman corner Malik Foreman was out of a green jersey and back on the practice field, still wearing a sleeve on his calf.

Riyahd Jones wasn’t dressed and did not practice — he watched practice from a folding chair on the sideline — forcing Vincent Dallas back to the defensive side and work at corner for the day to give the Vols another body in the secondary.

Depleting the secondary even more, safety Jalen Reeves-Maybin worked with linebackers on Monday morning.

Last edited:
That stinks for us and him....It hurts our depth and also he seemed to have waited for this opportunity for awhile.

I think we may see and have seen quite a few injuries. CBJ's practices are gruelling and physically taxing, and are good for the season, but hard on players that aren't accustomed to practicing this way.

Wes Rucker's report on Dallas To CB

Bajakian said Dallas to CB is an "experimental" move to see where he can help this team the most.

He may not be there full time, but is possibly being brought in to learn the defense in a backup role. Also, with North playing so well and Croom definitely starting this decision could have been easy for the coaches. I wouldn't be surprised to see him play on both sides in a limited capacity this year if he picks up the D.

@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 2m

Azzanni cont'd 2/2: " ... I think coach is just experimenting with him, trying to put the best player on the field." #Vols
Expand
@GrantRamey ‏@GrantRamey 2m

Zach Azzanni on Vincent Dallas' move 1/2: "Those are personnel decisions that Coach Jones makes. With our situation at corner right now ..."

That stinks for us and him....It hurts our depth and also he seemed to have waited for this opportunity for awhile.

I think we may see and have seen quite a few injuries. CBJ's practices are gruelling and physically taxing, and are good for the season, but hard on players that aren't accustomed to practicing this way.

This is entirely speculation, and I hate to troll, but there has been a lot of talk with the fast paced offenses and their correlation to defensive injuries. That being said, it is fall camp. These things happen every year. Unfortunately it seems to be hitting our D pretty hard this year.

We will be OK. The defense will still improve. The problem the last few years has not been talent. It has been motivation, coaching, and schemes (Sal).

Last edited:
That's at least 4 defensive players missing the first few games. Fantastic!

Danny Parker ‏@TheDannyParker 2m

#Vols DBs coach @UTCoachMartinez on Jalen Reeves-Maybin: "I love Jalen. Jalen's a tough, smart football player." Freshman may move to LB.

Wonder if there is anyway CBJ can get Eric Gordon and Naz Oliver back on the team? Sure could use Gordon, no doubt.

Wonder if there is anyway CBJ can get Eric Gordon and Naz Oliver back on the team? Sure could use Gordon, no doubt.

I would'nt like for CBJ to compromise the standards he has set. It would be a terrible example to all of the other players.

Couch is hurt but I do not know how long so that's up for debate I suppose. The other three is Jones, Smith, and Vereen.

Couch,Vereen, J.Smith and now R.Jones...

I thought Couch was day to day? Nothing serious, just dinged

Jaq misses Austin Peay and WKU

Vereen could potentially be a loss but remember he's a true freshman on the DL in the SEC, I honestly wasn't expecting much this year. He should be back mid-season.

Jones wasn't impressing anyone in practice, will hurt depth though. Do we know for sure he's done for the year?

Is it normal for this many injuries to happen during PRACTICE ?

Yes. And basically the same panic ensues every year.

The physicality of practice will taper off some after this week. Next week they will focus more on getting healthy and firming up the depth charts... then the following week is game prep for APSU.

The most disconcerting thing about this is R Jones. That sure sounds like eligiblity questions. Never a good thing at this point of the process... and a little confusing since he participated in the Spring.

Once again our lack of depth shows itself during Fall camp. We need quality depth, something that CBJ is working on but it will take a couple more recruiting cycles. Happens to all teams, only most SEC teams have players who can fill the spots.

Yes. And basically the same panic ensues every year.

The physicality of practice will taper off some after this week. Next week they will focus more on getting healthy and firming up the depth charts... then the following week is game prep for APSU.

The most disconcerting thing about this is R Jones. That sure sounds like eligiblity questions. Never a good thing at this point of the process... and a little confusing since he participated in the Spring.

I thought it had more to do with a knee injury, in regards to RJ

I thought Couch was day to day? Nothing serious, just dinged

Jaq misses Austin Peay and WKU

Vereen could potentially be a loss but remember he's a true freshman on the DL in the SEC, I honestly wasn't expecting much this year. He should be back mid-season.

Jones wasn't impressing anyone in practice, will hurt depth though. Do we know for sure he's done for the year?

Yes, couch is fine, but those are the only 4 I could think of who have been injured in fall camp, when the number 4 was mentioned.

VN Store

Back