Robots are making French fries faster, better than humans

I disagree. I would call my Roomba a robot, something that can be done with a mechanical timer like a french fry machine or a clothes washer or dishwasher, no, they're just simple machines.
A simple machine that executes a command.

Call it whatever you chose but the industry has defined robots in the way I posted. Autonomous machines performing tasks
No, you call it whatever you choose, a toaster is not a robot. A robot is something with decision making abilities, a simple machine can't make decisions. And enlighten me who the "industry" is?

Yeah. Was always going to be like that.

Robots arent worried about any minimum wage. Arent going to be late, get an order wrong, start a fight with a client, do something that lowers the health score. Heck stores will be able to stay open longer, not have to worry about shutting down for holidays, overtime pay, other benefits.

McDonalds could easily get down to a two person day shift. Manager to deal with angry customers, and the tech that keeps things running.
Those two people will be making the target $20 an hour… while the rest of their former shift workers go on unemployment. But hey they got that $20 an hour! And as usual the business environment adapted. Working as intended.

This will also put further pressure on those mom and pop burger joints that can’t afford dippy or $20 an hour so those businesses just close up shop all together. But yay for $20 an hour fast food workers amirite?

Last edited:
No, you call it whatever you choose, a toaster is not a robot. A robot is something with decision making abilities, a simple machine can't make decisions. And enlighten me who the "industry" is?
Amazon, Walmart, almost every major warehouse/distribution company, etc. It's also what the machine makers/designers call them.

Your toaster would not fit the definition since it requires human intervention

Reactions: tntar heel
I would offer this distinction point. If it requires direct human interaction or oversight to initiate its task or tasks it’s a machine. If it instead functions with a very high degree of autonomy it’s a robot.

Reactions: AM64
Tik Toker -- that robot at McDonalds shorted me a full pouch of fries Im never going there again. Give me views and likes

Reactions: NorthDallas40
Amazon, Walmart, almost every major warehouse/distribution company, etc. It's also what the machine makers/designers call them.

Your toaster would not fit the definition since it requires human intervention

I don't think he understands the concept of "definition."

No. They just have much more profit. Guess which one corporate America cares about. Also, remember that it is the liberals and their unions that decided to hold corporate America hostage for much higher minimum wage rates that greatly incentivized corporate America to quickly move in this direction. Liberals NEVER consider long-term consequences. Their policies are always nothing more than attempts to buy votes in the next upcoming election cycle.

It's basically that as a culture we've grown too big for our britches - too good to do the "menial" tasks. The real debate about work and society really comes down to do you want to have a productive working society or do you want to have efficiency that limits employment? Seems that if you limit employment the only thing you do is put some people out of work and the working stiffs have to pay more in taxes to reallocate income.

Right now the argument is "we can't find enough workers", and nobody seems to be interested in asking why. The why almost certainly comes back to taxes and reallocation of income; there just isn't much other way to explain how so many people can apparently exist without working - at least in recognized jobs that count as "employment" as defined by government. Those never considered long term consequences are here, and still no one is interested enough to see them or certainly consider fixing them.

Reactions: 825VOL
Whether by robot, lack of beef tallow, reduced work force or whatever, I don't think anybody (fast food) makes a fry that's worth the trip to a fast food joint...... if Arby's brought the potato cake back I might make a trip.

Reactions: 508mikey and hog88

VN Store

Back