Rose Bowl

Decades ago. Since the Vols have sucked for years, of course they haven't played in it and prior to that bowls were very closely tied to conferences. Since the Rose Bowl is part of the playoff, look for the Vols to be participating in years to come. But, the Sugar Bowl or Orange Bowl will be more likely......

Reactions: DarkVolder
They should have been there after the 2001 season. But couldnt stop a 2nd string qb in the SEC Championship Game
Ugh . . . That was one of the first examples of something being "so Tennessee" . . . We knock out LSU's tailback and QB, and the backup QB proceeds to run all over us and turns out to be a national championship QB the very next season.

This article is worth the read. Getting out to the Rose Bowl in 1940 was a disadvantage to say the least. The game might as well have been played on the moon lol.

I read that story a while back. Don't remember the particulars, but a train ride across the country, coupled with all the issues along the way, no doubt had an effect on that team.

Ugh . . . That was one of the first examples of something being "so Tennessee" . . . We knock out LSU's tailback and QB, and the backup QB proceeds to run all over us and turns out to be a national championship QB the very next season.
I was there...and it hurt soooo bad.

If our phones were equal to what we have today, i would have booked flights to LA at half-time l.

Reactions: HalfullVol
Love Bugs Bunny, I've been searching for that one....
the setting when when bug was flying a plane. the plane instrumentations were giving data on the plane. it would give information like longitude, speed, height then it gave the score. USC 14, Tennessee 00. the game was in 1940 so i assumed the cartoon had to be written 1941-1946.

the setting when when bug was flying a plane. the plane instrumentations were giving data on the plane. it would give information like longitude, speed, height then it gave the score. USC 14, Tennessee 00. the game was in 1940 so i assumed the cartoon had to be written 1941-1946.
Mel Blanc hates us!

This article is worth the read. Getting out to the Rose Bowl in 1940 was a disadvantage to say the least. The game might as well have been played on the moon lol.

Southern teams were 2-3 in the Rose Bowl in the 1940's. Besides our 0-2 mark, Duke also lost a game, though Georgia won in 1943 and Alabama won in 1946.

They should have been there after the 2001 season. But couldnt stop a 2nd string qb in the SEC Championship Game
While that loss stings as bad as any ever, it has somewhat diminished to me over the years upon realizing we were dealing with one of the greatest coaches of all time that day. We didn't know that in the immediate aftermath of the game. At that time reputation wise, Nick Saban might as well have been Houston Nutt.

VN Store

Back