Rose Bowl

While that loss stings as bad as any ever, it has somewhat diminished to me over the years upon realizing we were dealing with one of the greatest coaches of all time that day. We didn't know that in the immediate aftermath of the game. At that time reputation wise, Nick Saban might as well have been Houston Nutt.
We also had a Defensive Coordinator that had never seen a Quarterback draw play either! He wasn't real good at third and long also.

We also had a Defensive Coordinator that had never seen a Quarterback draw play either! He wasn't real good at third and long also.
We also did diddly squat on offense from the time we stopped their 4th and 1 on their own 30 in the first half, until the end of the game. Two measly field goals the rest of the way. That’s it. That’s really why we lost. We had no offense

the setting when when bug was flying a plane. the plane instrumentations were giving data on the plane. it would give information like longitude, speed, height then it gave the score. USC 14, Tennessee 00. the game was in 1940 so i assumed the cartoon had to be written 1941-1946.
I watch a lot of Looney Tunes on METV and have never seen that joke. Bugs has mentioned Chattanooga and the Lookouts in two different cartoons.

While not the actual Rose Bowl game, UT has played inside the Rose Bowl many times against UCLA.

Casey was even worse….. he stepped off the plane back to Knoxville from the swamp carrying an orange rose ….. I’ll never forget thinking, “man that’s a jinx.”
And halftime talk at the Georgia dome - everyone was talking about hotel rooms in Pasadena and etc. I guess John Chavis was too.

That one's on me. I actually brought a rose to the Georgia Dome. Jinxed the whole damn thing.
Hahahaha
There werr a lot of Vol fans walking around with roses before the game. It did make me nervous...but we all knew we had the talent to won that one.

Hahahaha
There werr a lot of Vol fans walking around with roses before the game. It did make me nervous...but we all knew we had the talent to won that one.
We should’ve never lost to a 4 loss Georgia and 3 loss LSU that season that was completely on Fulmer and Chavis we had significantly more talent than them and had the better team. That was a huge turning point in Tennessee football and not for the better. We let Saban get his first SEC title and Georgia started a 4 game win streak on us and flipped the series around in their favor in the 2000’s they are 18-6 against us.

VN Store

Back