Scary, Fundamentalist church unveils Statue of Liberty.....,

Well, I think it's more of a societal double standard. i.e. see a preacher standing on the corner offering salvation, you don't think twice. See somebody on the corner promoting merits of a gay life style, people want them taken out.

I didn't mean to say the government, more along the lines of societal views. Just seems a double standard to me.

(milohimself @ Jul 12 said:
Well, I think it's more of a societal double standard. i.e. see a preacher standing on the corner offering salvation, you don't think twice. See somebody on the corner promoting merits of a gay life style, people want them taken out.

I didn't mean to say the government, more along the lines of societal views. Just seems a double standard to me.

Usually, I have more animosity towards the preacher on the milk crate, handing out New Testaments, and screaming at people that they are going to hell.

Let's just say, and I am a very devout Christian, that I would rather have a Gay Parade once a month through my city if it would make Fred Phelps and his cronies shut themselves in a box never to be seen again.

Good man. :lol:

Actually, I don't mind it. Living in tolerant Oregon, you can and will see anything and everything on the street corners.

Isn't he that nut going around the country talking about how "**** are going to hell"?

I went to a Baptist service a few months ago with my friends and the sermon like that. I had to leave the room.

(therealUT @ Jul 12 said:
You do know who Fred Phelps is, right Milo?

That man is, well, I don't know how to describe him. If his God and mine are the same then I am the biggest fool ever.

Isn't he that nut going around the country talking about how "**** are going to hell"?

I went to a Baptist service a few months ago with my friends and the sermon like that. I had to leave the room.

That is exactly who he is...and I would leave too.

I have also walked out of a Baptist church (well known one in Knoxville). The sermon was about how children from divorce were going to be a burden on society, their values would be lower and they would all end up criminals (paraphrased a bit). I am usually very tolerant but that hit too close to home.

I had over 100 pastors from seperate East Tennessee Baptist churches inform me that I was going to hell because I am Catholic. This came as a part of their response to my question as to whether myself and my wife (who is Baptist and from East Tennessee) could get married in their churches. Needless to say, we did not end up getting married in a Baptist church.

On the other hand, the father of one of my good friends in HS was over the largest Baptist Church in Knox. I never heard such things come out of his mouth, either in public or private. I enjoyed his views very much.

(utvolpj @ Jul 12 said:
I have also walked out of a Baptist church (well known one in Knoxville). The sermon was about how children from divorce were going to be a burden on society, their values would be lower and they would all end up criminals (paraphrased a bit). I am usually very tolerant but that hit too close to home.
Jeez.

I know that my state is among the least religious un the Union. Pretty high divorce rate too... I know plenty of kids of divorced parents who are doing fine.

VN Store

Back