Sec Coach of the Year

Who wins Sec Coach of the Year

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
Absolutely, and add to that how he has integrated a scorer like Knecht into a veteran group seamlessly without affecting the signature Barnes defensive identity. The job Barnes has done adapting the way UT plays to win using multiple styles and with different players making big contributions has been one of my favorite parts of watching this season.
I completely agree. Coach Barnes has done a masterful job, and deserves COY in my opinion.

Reactions: sami and Ratvol
This team is more of an accumulated result or payoff for all of Barnes' efforts since arriving.
This season should be the notarizing stamp on Barnes' pass into the Basketball Coaches Hall of Fame.

And for Lamont Paris, maybe this is the season that puts him on Danny White's "someday" short list.
Great post.... plus Barnes has two extra assistant coaches on staff (JJJ and Véscovi)

Lamont Paris will win COY. He assembled a roster to fit his style of play. He’s did an amazing job. Playing his team is about as fun as getting a root canal. lol. But I will say his team will not win the SEC tournament and will not make the sweet 16.

Reactions: posivol
Lamont Paris will win COY. He assembled a roster to fit his style of play. He’s did an amazing job. Playing his team is about as fun as getting a root canal. lol. But I will say his team will not win the SEC tournament and will not make the sweet 16.
I believe Paris has a bright future, but Barns out coached him last night. Paris can develop to a very good SEC coach and he will do well at SC if he can recruit with of the Conference.

I listen to Sirius XM Ch 84 in the mornings, the Full Ride show with Chris Childers & Rick Neuheisel, and they have been singing the praises for Tennessee & CRB for several weeks. They really like Kneckt too, and they talk about us all the time. It’s great!
LaMont Paris will win the award. And he very likely might win National Coach of the Year as well. He’s deserving.

But I will say it has been interesting how there has been exactly zero conversation about Rick Barnes and the job he has done. I listen to quite a few different college basketball podcasts on my work commute, and all of the conversation has been around Danny Sprinkle, LaMont Paris, TJ Otzelberger, and Dan Hurley.

I know we were picked to win the league, but so was UConn. Barnes has us positioned to get the first 1-seed in program history. How he isn’t even discussed is unfair. I’m not saying he should win, but his name has come up exactly zero times. I’ve even heard Pearl and Oat’s names mentioned. But no Barnes.

We don't want this award to always go to the coach that wins the SEC regular season every year. I believe Lamont deserves the award but that's not to say that I don't think Barnes deserves to be in the conversation. He had high expectations and he accomplished them.

You could give this award to Coach Barnes almost every year because of the wins and the culture he has created but this is Lamont Paris's award this year. It's not every year that a coach is picked dead last and nearly wins the league.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Plenty of choices for COY in SEC.
Of course Barnes should win I'm biased..
Paris
Golden at Florida
McMahon at LSU

Last edited:
And it will be enjoyable to see him bail out of Columbia as soon as he can 😂 poverty programs make me laugh 😂
Depends. If Wisconsin was open, then maybe. OSU appears to be targeting Sean Miller or bust. Not many coaches walk away after two years-including one wildly successful year.. He may see South Carolina men's hoops for what it is-totally mismanaged for decades..

Word around South Carolina is they are reworking his contract and it will be huge. Dawn Staley is one of his best friends. So much so that he built a beautiful home right down the street from her facing the river. USCe may have lucked out with the timing. BTW, I live in Columbia so I hear a lot.

Will they award this to Rick Barnes for having best record/team or Lamont Paris for bringing South Carolina out of the gutter. Weigh in….
Mu duh is now cast...Coach of the Year is for best job performance. Paris has no competition on this one. What did Coach Barnes say? He said Paris!

Depends. If Wisconsin was open, then maybe. OSU appears to be targeting Sean Miller or bust. Not many coaches walk away after two years-including one wildly successful year.. He may see South Carolina men's hoops for what it is-totally mismanaged for decades..

Word around South Carolina is they are reworking his contract and it will be huge. Dawn Staley is one of his best friends. So much so that he built a beautiful home right down the street from her facing the river. USCe may have lucked out with the timing. BTW, I live in Columbia so I hear a lot.
We hear it in Irmo too....ha

It was never going to be possible for Barnes to win it because we were predicted to win the conference. It’s why Saban rarely won it in football.

VN Store

Back