SEC position rankings: Linebacker

ManningBerry#1

4. Tennessee: The Vols bring back the league's top tackler in A.J. Johnson and excellent pass-rusher Curt Maggitt, who had his 2012 season shortened because of injury. He should be back to full health this fall, but could move to defensive end. Johnson has a chance to play his way into the first round of next year's NFL draft. Senior Dontavis Sapp doesn't have a ton of experience, but was a star this spring and has the ability to play any of the linebacker spots. Four senior backups return and have combined to play in nearly 140 games. The only problem is that they've also combined for just one start. Senior Brent Brewer also moved from safety to linebacker to give the Vols a lot of speed on the outside.

From ESPN.com on July 9, 2013.

SEC position rankings: Linebacker - SEC Blog - ESPN

Waaaayyy too high. AJ tackles well, but looks like a drunk on roller skates in pass coverage, Maggitt has said himself he's not close to 100% and it's July, and we have horrible depth and a lack of SEC talent in the 2 deep. This unit is worse than the DL imo.

Reactions: 1 person
i could easily see CM at DE - easiest way to get faster on defense is move guys up a spot - brewer to LB and CM to DE seem to be the best candidates for that

that being said i am shocked we are at 4th and if this becomes true we will be much better than most current projections

Waaaayyy too high. AJ tackles well, but looks like a drunk on roller skates in pass coverage, Maggitt has said himself he's not close to 100% and it's July, and we have horrible depth and a lack of SEC talent in the 2 deep. This unit is worse than the DL imo.

Hey, hey, hey I've been drunk on skates and the only person I tackled was myself. I think he does a good job and will continue to get better now that he, and the entire defensive group, can react instead of retract.

Reactions: 1 person
In before the naga-vols
4th?!! are they out of their minds?!! Don't they know we suck!

i normally am not someone who points these kind of things out....however, do some of you even bother to check if there is another thread out there on the same topic?

the thread has almost the exact thread title except for one "s".

and it wasn't exactly buried either?

Last edited:
i normally am not someone who points these kind of things out....however, do some of you even bother to check if there is another thread out there on the same topic.

the thread has almost the exact thread title except for one "s".

and it wasn't exactly buried either?

Considering both post are within 5 mins apart.. I just log in and search the web and do my daily thread starter. I'm not constantly hitting F5. Mod's merge or delete. :)

Thought the DL ranking was 2-5 places too low. This is probably 2 or 3 too high.

Interesting that USCe has the top DL in the SEC and yet the worst LBs in the conference. I wonder what their DBs will be ranked. It is also interesting to see that Otha Peters is now considered a "veteran" at Arky going into his sophomore year. Makes you wonder if he could have seen any playing time at UT his first 2 years.

As far as the Vols' #4 ranking, it cannot be too surprising to be ranked that high when one of your LBs is a projected 1st rounder for the NFL. UGA dropped quite a bit after having the best LBs last year.

Btw, just saw where Vickers is now officially on the roster.
Evan's Eleven |
:good!:

Last edited:

Agree with ya fade. Too many questions at the WLB and SLB positions to be this high. Although I do think AJ will excel even more in the 4-3. He is our rock in the middle and the definition of a 4-3 MLB IMO

I would love to have Curt Maggitt at Leo Defensive End and move Jaques Smith to SDE that with McCullers and Couch in the Middle.

If Maggitt is legitimately moving to the DL, then this ranking is about 5 spots too high. If he's staying at LB, then it's still probably 2 or 3 spots too high.

I'll say this: If our linebackers turn out to be the 4th best unit in the SEC, we'll be a helluva lot better football team than people think.

If Maggitt is legitimately moving to the DL, then this ranking is about 5 spots too high. If he's staying at LB, then it's still probably 2 or 3 spots too high.

You on the other hand...are just plain high!
Posted via VolNation Mobile

Somebody answer a 3-4 question for me. Was the idea overall to switch defenses a bad one? If we had a different 3-4 DC with experience would the defense be better than it was last year. Why or why not.

Somebody answer a 3-4 question for me. Was the idea overall to switch defenses a bad one? If we had a different 3-4 DC with experience would the defense be better than it was last year. Why or why not.

I'd say yes because the switch takes a year. Look at Georgia, Grantham's defense took time to build. Took the packers a year to go from Bates defense to capers 3-4.

VN Store

Back