SEC position rankings: Linebacker

I'd say yes because the switch takes a year. Look at Georgia, Grantham's defense took time to build. Took the packers a year to go from Bates defense to capers 3-4.

I think its easier to go to a 4-3 from a 3-4 than vice versa

Somebody answer a 3-4 question for me. Was the idea overall to switch defenses a bad one? If we had a different 3-4 DC with experience would the defense be better than it was last year. Why or why not.

i actually think tennessee has some personnel that fit the 3-4 better.

people like to make the excuse that the 3-4 is so difficult to learn, but there is no way tennessee should have been that lost defensively.

and keep in mind, people in the secondary were lost too, and the switch to the 3-4 should not have effected them as much.

but, the hardest thing about playing the 3-4 is having a moose at nose guard and tennessee actually had that.

people like to make the excuse that the 3-4 is so difficult to learn, but there is no way tennessee should have been that lost defensively.

and keep in mind, people in the secondary were lost too, and the switch to the 3-4 should not have effected them as much.

but, the hardest thing about playing the 3-4 is having a moose at nose guard and tennessee actually had that.
So what did the coaches not do? It is mind blowing to me that we were that bad. Has anybody seen any other team switch and be that bad? I haven't.

So what did the coaches not do? It is mind blowing to me that we were that bad. Has anybody seen any other team switch and be that bad? I haven't.

Has any other team had an uproven DC with a Monkey as head coach. The players said it themselves. They didn't have time to learn it. They was force fed it. Our defense was recruited for the 4-3.

Has any other team had an uproven DC with a Monkey as head coach. The players said it themselves. They didn't have time to learn it. They was force fed it. Our defense was recruited for the 4-3.

yeah, but as i said earlier, the secondary was lost.

a cover 3 is a cover 3. a cover 2 is a cover 2. 2 deep, man underneath is 2 deep man underneath. etc, etc, etc.

usually, coverage mix ups are due to linebackers getting crossed up as to who has the tight end and who has the back. that kind of thing.

i don't know what the heck was going on or what happened, but it doesn't make sense.

the problems were not limited to which gap responsibility did the defensive lineman have on certain running plays.

yeah, but as i said earlier, the secondary was lost.

a cover 3 is a cover 3. a cover 2 is a cover 2. 2 deep, man underneath is 2 deep man underneath. etc, etc, etc.

usually, coverage mix ups are due to linebackers getting crossed up as to who has the tight end and who has the back. that kind of thing.

i don't know what the heck was going on or what happened, but it doesn't make sense.

the problems were not limited to which gap responsibility did the defensive lineman have on certain running plays.

I understand. I did however hear from someone that as good as AJ is that the majority of his tackles made that he was lined up wrong. I've been re-watching some of the games but I don't see it as bad as some have expressed. He looks good to me.

Reactions: 1 person

agreed there - the nose is by far the hardest thing to find - we had it - you don't need your DE's to be pass rushers near as much, ours certainly weren't - the scheme is supposed to allow you to bring pressure through confusion on who might be coming as opposed to having a DE with very good pass rush skills on the edge (we certainly didnt have that DE)

all of that should have added up to 3-4 being a plus - i think any defense poorly run will get exposed - but personnel was not the issue with the 3-4

Right where we should be .. People forget when healthy Maggit is an elite LB and pass rusher IE: the play against nc state before the turf toe issues that nagged him all season . AJ Johnson is a an all sec performer and most likely a first or second round draft pick .. Sapp is the wildcard of this group a bit undersized but can run like a deer and has a knack for making plays .. The question mark is who can step up behind these guys and be a serviceable backup ... I think we will be plensantly surprised by the play of our lb core this season if healthy

I understand. I did however hear from someone that as good as AJ is that the majority of his tackles made that he was lined up wrong. I've been re-watching some of the games but I don't see it as bad as some have expressed. He looks good to me.

You don't come away with the most tackles in the SEC by accident.

Reactions: 2 people
You don't come away with the most tackles in the SEC by accident.

I agree but the statement was made by one of the former players on the radio I just can't remember which one on tsr. Out of position or not AJ is an awesome player and I'm anxious to see what he does in this new scheme.

Hey, hey, hey I've been drunk on skates and the only person I tackled was myself. I think he does a good job and will continue to get better now that he, and the entire defensive group, can react instead of retract.

Yep. If the LB's start taking better angles they will be much better. Also having an extra DT will free up the LB's to make more plays.

I doubt Sunseri knew where AJ was supposed to be...skeptical that another player knew when he was in/out of position.

I missed this somehow. Makes sense I guess?

I guess. I think it will ultimately provide speed around the edge which is something we need to put pressure on the QB. It was the lack of pass rush that exposed our secondary that was lead by sucky-Sal. He should've asked his two sons for advice if you ask me lol

It's not like our defensive coordinator was a train wreck last season at any point

I doubt Sunseri knew where AJ was supposed to be...skeptical that another player knew when he was in/out of position.
I did notice where he whiffed several times taking bad angles. I would have though Sal or whomever would have made the necessary correction. That's the part that gets me is they didn't fix it.

Doesn't that mean there will also be one less LB on the field to make a play? Seems like they will cancel each other out?

Hybrid-Monster. Maggit will play DE so we will still have a LB type on the field (in a non Nickle situations)

waaaayyy too high. Aj tackles well, but looks like a drunk on roller skates in pass coverage, maggitt has said himself he's not close to 100% and it's july, and we have horrible depth and a lack of sec talent in the 2 deep. This unit is worse than the dl imo.

indeed!

Doesn't that mean there will also be one less LB on the field to make a play? Seems like they will cancel each other out?

There should now be one more body already up at the line of scrimmage or into the offensive backfield, not downfield from line of scrimmage and scratching his head on where to go. :shades:

There should now be one more body already up at the line of scrimmage or into the offensive backfield, not downfield from line of scrimmage and scratching his head on where to go. :shades:

Seemed like there was two or three guys doing that everyplay last year.

VN Store

Back