SEC position rankings: Running backs

YankeeVol

Raised a Yank, Born a Vol
9. Tennessee: Now that junior Marlin Lane has been reinstated, the Vols have an experienced one-two punch. Senior Rajion Neal is also back after rushing for 708 yards last season. Lane added 658 yards and also caught 29 passes. Neal had four touchdown catches, so they’re both versatile. The challenge this season will be making more happen after contact and getting the tough yards. It doesn't hurt that they will be running behind Tennessee’s talented offensive line.

SEC position rankings: Running backs - SEC Blog - ESPN

I think Hill will add another dimension as a big power back and pleasantly surprise us on the third and 1 or third and 2. Maybe then we won't fell compelled to go for the 30 yard out.

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure about any of you fellow Vol fans, but it is my personal belief that the higher we are ranked in any preseason poll or category, the worse we do. I actually LOVE low preseason polls for UT as it takes all pressure off the kids and gives them wonderful bulletin board material. '98 sound familiar?

Reactions: 2 people
Not sure about any of you fellow Vol fans, but it is my personal belief that the higher we are ranked in any preseason poll or category, the worse we do. I actually LOVE low preseason polls for UT as it takes all pressure off the kids and gives them wonderful bulletin board material. '98 sound familiar?

Could be on to something here. Fingers crossed....

9. Tennessee: Now that junior Marlin Lane has been reinstated, the Vols have an experienced one-two punch. Senior Rajion Neal is also back after rushing for 708 yards last season. Lane added 658 yards and also caught 29 passes. Neal had four touchdown catches, so they’re both versatile. The challenge this season will be making more happen after contact and getting the tough yards. It doesn't hurt that they will be running behind Tennessee’s talented offensive line.

SEC position rankings: Running backs - SEC Blog - ESPN

Did Neal really rush for that many yards? We keep forgetting that we actually had a decent run game despite our pass happy memories we have.

I think Neal will suprise this year and break 1000 yards easily. Behind that line he will shine.

why do people continue to do this?

the state of the program and the level of the respect for the talent level of the team is night and day compared to 1998.

Reactions: 3 people

the state of the program and the level of the respect for the talent level of the team is night and day compared to 1998.

No sane person is saying that we will win the national title by comparing to 98. Theyre saying that we could be better than expected. No one expected a great year after Peyton left.

Reactions: 1 person
No sane person is saying that we will win the national title by comparing to 98. Theyre saying that we could be better than expected. No one expected a great year after Peyton left.

that's half the story.

the other half is that the suggestion is that tennessee will exceed expectations in the face of such disrespect (preseason rankings and so forth).

well, in 1998, no one picked tennessee to win a national title. that's true and as such, they exceeded expectations.

however, tennessee was not disrespected entering the 1998 season by pundits out there.

I think the O-line will make our run game look better. Hopefully.

I'll say Lane goes for 800 yard, 6 TD's.

that's half the story.

the other half is that the suggestion is that tennessee will exceed expectations in the face of such disrespect (preseason rankings and so forth).

well, in 1998, no one picked tennessee to win a national title. that's true and as such, they exceeded expectations.

however, tennessee was not disrespected entering the 1998 season by pundits out there.

Consensus # 9 pick pre-season 1998..

I think we'll see a lot more Neal than Lane at this point, since I believe he'll have to earn some of his snaps back from Hill during fall camp.

Ultimately I think the snaps will be divided as follows: Neal-50%, Lane-40%, Hill-10%.

Hello. I am the "people" you referred to and I really don't understand your question. Are you saying today's team is more respected going into this season than the '98 team was? If so, than "I" the 'people" politely disagree - especially if you look at Wins vs Lossess the past 3 years vs the 3 years leading up to the '98 National Championship.

My personal expectations of this years team is very guarded and rightly so. The entire staff is new, many of the players are new and I understand we have a whole new cheerleading squad coming in.

because they're fans looking for any glimmer of hope. I'm with you though- it's ridiculous.

Hello. I am the "people" you referred to and I really don't understand your question. Are you saying today's team is more respected going into this season than the '98 team was? If so, than "I" the 'people" politely disagree - especially if you look at Wins vs Lossess the past 3 years vs the 3 years leading up to the '98 National Championship.

My personal expectations of this years team is very guarded and rightly so. The entire staff is new, many of the players are new and I understand we have a whole new cheerleading squad coming in.

Wait what? The 98 team was stacked. . .

VN Store

Back