SEC Tourney Venue

Hoover is outstanding! The local people / organizations make it work.

Of the most recent 13 teams to win the NCAA Championship in baseball, eight of them have come thru Hoover.

The large park allows us to practice for the huge park in Omaha.

Now I understand why Vollie and Camden were eating in mall food court last year....:)

If and when it moves, it will be to move it indoors for weather reasons.

Assuming it stays outdoors, the Trash Pandas park in Huntsville is very nice. Wouldn't be a problem to send the AA team on the road for a week. Parking is ok.

Still a long poke for Home Runs but that is good for the lads. Gotta learn to bunt for Omaha.

Reactions: chuckiepoo
Assuming it stays outdoors, the Trash Pandas park in Huntsville is very nice. Wouldn't be a problem to send the AA team on the road for a week. Parking is ok.

Still a long poke for Home Runs but that is good for the lads. Gotta learn to bunt for Omaha.
…now ya dun it… 😉

Reactions: Darth_Vol
I get why it's there.

But, a large part of me hates the fact that it feels like everything is in Alabama. I have always been a big believer that league championships should rotate except for football.

And there are plenty of quality minor league stadiums all across the south.
It should never rotate. Hoover is as synonymous with baseball as ATL is for football. I couldn’t imagine trying to funnel 10-12k people through downtown B’Ham before/after the large crowd games.

Reactions: chuckiepoo

Problem with Toyota field is the capacity. It’s a great park, easily accessible right off the interstate and close enough to ample hotels and eateries. But it only holds 7k or so and the parking is fine for the vehicles but you lose the RV feature that makes Hoover so unique. When the big time baseball schools show up and play each other 7k seats isn’t going to cut it.

Problem with Toyota field is the capacity. It’s a great park, easily accessible right off the interstate and close enough to ample hotels and eateries. But it only holds 7k or so and the parking is fine for the vehicles but you lose the RV feature that makes Hoover so unique. When the big time baseball schools show up and play each other 7k seats isn’t going to cut it.

Valid points. But, 7k seats would hold the crowd for probably 90-95% of the SEC Tournament games.

Based on my experiences last year, LSU and the Vols brought the crowd. Vandy, Georgia, Kentucky, Florida, didn't have much.

And, Huntsville is further away from Baton Rouge......which is nice.

Valid points. But, 7k seats would hold the crowd for probably 90-95% of the SEC Tournament games.

Based on my experiences last year, LSU and the Vols brought the crowd. Vandy, Georgia, Kentucky, Florida, didn't have much.

And, Huntsville is further away from Baton Rouge......which is nice.
Maybe just tell LSU fans it’s still in Hoover. Yeah your traditional baseball schools will bring a pile in Ark, State, LSU, OM (Bama shows up in Hoover once they’ve won a game or 2). We’re getting there with our success. The LSU-UT game last year was an amazing environment and on par with what I’ve experienced with LSU vs. State, OM vs. State. It was big time baseball at its finest.

Im perfectly fine with Madison as I can be to the stadium in 20 min so it wouldn’t be a no for me.

Contract is through 2024. Speculation is that Globe Life Field in Arlington (home of TX Rangers) is making a push to host. I think that would be a big mistake. Too far away from most of SEC country.
Is the Big 12 contract for that stadium ending?

Contract is through 2024. Speculation is that Globe Life Field in Arlington (home of TX Rangers) is making a push to host. I think that would be a big mistake. Too far away from most of SEC country.

I looked at the distance from each member institution to see how this looked from a numbers perspective. Here's what I calculated (listed in alphabetical order):

Distance from Hoover MET:
Alabama - 51 miles
Arkansas - 569 miles
Auburn - 114 miles
Florida - 444 miles
Georgia - 227 miles
Kentucky - 420 miles
LSU - 393 miles
Mississippi State - 133 miles
Missouri - 638 miles
Ole Miss - 201 miles
South Carolina - 369 miles
Tennessee - 271 miles
Texas A&M - 675 miles
Vanderbilt - 209 miles

Distance from Globe Life Field (Arlington)
Alabama - 603 miles
Arkansas - 349 miles
Auburn - 718 miles
Florida - 995 miles
Georgia - 870 miles
Kentucky - 892 miles
LSU - 443 miles
Mississippi State - 549 miles
Missouri - 597 miles
Ole Miss - 555 miles
South Carolina - 1013 miles
Tennessee - 862 miles
Texas A&M - 188 miles
Vanderbilt - 682 miles

Almost double the average mileage for all institutions.

Add in:

Texas - 205 miles
Oklahoma - 192 miles

and it's still 602 average miles for all institutions.

Analysis - It would make it harder for almost every school's fanbase to attend (other than LSU and Arkansas) and noone wants to sit in a stadium full of those fans. YUCK.

I looked at the distance from each member institution to see how this looked from a numbers perspective. Here's what I calculated (listed in alphabetical order):

Distance from Hoover MET:
Alabama - 51 miles
Arkansas - 569 miles
Auburn - 114 miles
Florida - 444 miles
Georgia - 227 miles
Kentucky - 420 miles
LSU - 393 miles
Mississippi State - 133 miles
Missouri - 638 miles
Ole Miss - 201 miles
South Carolina - 369 miles
Tennessee - 271 miles
Texas A&M - 675 miles
Vanderbilt - 209 miles

Distance from Globe Life Field (Arlington)
Alabama - 603 miles
Arkansas - 349 miles
Auburn - 718 miles
Florida - 995 miles
Georgia - 870 miles
Kentucky - 892 miles
LSU - 443 miles
Mississippi State - 549 miles
Missouri - 597 miles
Ole Miss - 555 miles
South Carolina - 1013 miles
Tennessee - 862 miles
Texas A&M - 188 miles
Vanderbilt - 682 miles

Almost double the average mileage for all institutions.

Add in:

Texas - 205 miles
Oklahoma - 192 miles

and it's still 602 average miles for all institutions.

Analysis - It would make it harder for almost every school's fanbase to attend (other than LSU and Arkansas) and noone wants to sit in a stadium full of those fans. YUCK.
Headache adding Tejas College. They are going to want the baseball and basketball tournaments and the football championship game there. Just say...
0129D784-4509-492D-893E-C8245C0F3385-1788-00000112D69FB3ED.gif

Hoover does it right. From the municipal commitment to the fan experience on site. If you haven't been there, you wouldn't understand why the SEC keeps the tourney there.

VN Store

Back