Should Churches Pay Taxes?

I feel they should be Tax Exempt. However, I also feel that businesses and individuals should also be income tax exempt. So, I guess my analysis isn't all that insightful.

If we are keeping the Federal Income Tax though, I believe they should have to pay taxes. I feel this way for the sole reason that many non-denominational churches are set up as tax shelters.

They shouldn't because if it is a "real" church they are not in the business to make a profit. They are supposed to use funds gathered for building, renovating, aiding, and doing good for all they can help.

Problem is that not all are like that. :devilsmoke: Some are out to get big houses and cars and they can do it by pretending to help people. Those are who should be weeded out and taxed or worse.

(hohenfelsvol @ Jul 24 said:
They shouldn't because if it is a "real" church they are not in the business to make a profit. They are supposed to use funds gathered for building, renovating, aiding, and doing good for all they can help.

Problem is that not all are like that. :devilsmoke: Some are out to get big houses and cars and they can do it by pretending to help people. Those are who should be weeded out and taxed or worse.
Agree

(hohenfelsvol @ Jul 24 said:

Well, that's what we're doing with some of our tax money in Iraq. Should the churches not have to help out with the rebuilding, renovating, aiding and doing good for Iraq also?

I have pretty extensive experience dealing with churches and can tell you that 9 times out of 10 when a church does something to violate their nonprofit status, it's out of complete ignorance. For the most part, they are legitimate nonprofit organizations . . . they're just sometimes run by individuals with little business experience.

With that being said, therealUT is unfortunately right about some churches being little more than tax shelters and loan collateral. Those need to be weeded out, but who in their right mind is going to be the guy to stand up and say that??

(Orangewhiteblood @ Jul 24 said:
Well, that's what we're doing with some of our tax money in Iraq. Should the churches not have to help out with the rebuilding, renovating, aiding and doing good for Iraq also?

No because it is not anybody's place to dictate how somebody else spends private funds.

In almost any residential neighborhood, the largest, most valuable parcel of land is a church. Yet churches, like other non-profit organizations, pay no taxes.

In exchange for tax-exempt status, we require only one thing from non-profit organizations – that they stay out of political campaigns.

Yet a few days ago, churches around Washington observed "Referendum Sunday," on which they asked worshipers to sign petitions for Referendum 65, which would force a November vote on the law passed by the Legislature to outlaw discrimination based on sexual orientation.

Church groups historically have taken stands on issues like slavery, women's rights, prohibition and minority rights. But, they should stop at taking positions on particular candidates or ballot measures.

If they want to promote ballot measures, they should give up their tax-exempt status.

I can't point to it directly but but feeling is that there are church organizations lending help with either teaching, building and so forth. Because of the region is muslim you can bet the christian churches or organizations that are helping aren't advertising their involvment. And to me those are the real organizations or churches doing good to help their fellow man and not asking for publicity.

If they want to promote ballot measures, they should give up their tax-exempt status.

What's the problem with a Pastor endorsing a ballot initiative that matches his beliefs? As long as the church doesn't get into the business of endorsing candidates, I think they are OK.

(GAVol @ Jul 24 said:
What's the problem with a Pastor endorsing a ballot initiative that matches his beliefs? As long as the church doesn't get into the business of endorsing candidates, I think they are OK.

Or giving campaign donations. Just like cigar companies should stay out of Clintons next polictical campaign.

(GAVol @ Jul 24 said:

So you don't think that churches get involved with endorsing candidates?

On the one hand, the power to tax is the power to control thus, many think that exempting religious groups from taxes is an important means of keeping churches out of the sphere of government control. This would be consistent with maintaining the separation of church and state.

On the other hand, allowing churches to get government services without being taxed sounds to some like a special perk that violates the separation of church and state.

Which perspective do you find more reasonable and convincing?

You would expect them not to?

Of course they do. I never said that some didn't do it.

(GAVol @ Jul 24 said:
Of course they do. I never said that some didn't do it.

Ok, I was just wondering if by your comment you meant that it never happens or it shouldn't happen.

(OrangeEmpire @ Jul 24 said:
OWB, do you think pastors/churches should not endorse political canidates?

I think they should pay taxes if they do.

(OrangeEmpire @ Jul 24 said:
OWB do you now believe we are in the last days.......3 agreements! LOL

:whistling: :scare:

OWB, MBRO, and myself have actually ended up on the same side of things lately too. However, I feel it is more of a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," situation than anything else... :yes:

(therealUT @ Jul 24 said:
OWB, MBRO, and myself have actually ended up on the same side of things lately too. However, I feel it is more of a "The enemy of my enemy is my friend," situation than anything else... :yes:

It's just like real life politics... :biggrin2:

Of course it's not only churches with tax-exempt status. Many organizations with much more of a political focus have tax-exempt status - e.g. NAACP which has clearly pushed the envelope on political endorsement. Why single out religious orgs?

VN Store

Back