Shuler wins Democratic congressional primary

(USMCvol @ May 9 said:
The government can not keep jobs from going overseas. Afterall they aren't the governments jobs, they are private sector jobs. It is a result of having to pay too much for unskilled labor.

Most of these jobs are $8 to $10 an hour jobs that are going overseas,? I wouldn't exactly call paying someone $8 an hour, paying too much. Many of these companies are moving jobs overseas to avoid labor laws and/or pay people $5/day. Profit margins grow. Execs make big bonuses. Entry level people are looking for work.

Now if you want to talk about labor unions in the North, you might have a point.

(JasonCajun @ May 9 said:
Most of these jobs are $8 to $10 an hour jobs that are going overseas,? I wouldn't exactly call paying someone $8 an hour, paying too much. Many of these companies are moving jobs overseas to avoid labor laws and/or pay people $5/day. Profit margins grow. Execs make big bonuses. Entry level people are looking for work.

Now if you want to talk about labor unions in the North, you might have a point.

I agree with you on labor unions, that's why GM is on the brink of disaster. But if a Mexican is willing to do the same work for $5 why shouldn't the company move overseas? The company is in business to make money. I agree it stinks, but government shouldn't interfere with private industry.

Our manufacturing sector is dying, the only thing that can be done is to lower taxes/regulation and make America a great place to do business. Also we need to educate or youth so they can fill other jobs.

The government can't keep jobs from going overseas? Then why did after NAFTA and CAFTA are these companies flocking away? Something invisible must have forced these companies to stay until a government action opened the flood gates.

The government 'interferes' with private industry on a daily basis. Actually the corporate welfare system is a joke. Do you know you're paying a huge chunk of tax payer dollars to offer incentives and breaks for oil companies to spur growth and new production? All while the fatcats are getting $400 million retirement bonuses. Funny how the GOP claims to be capitalistic but yet they do more to dump tax dollars into the private sector than the Dems do to regulate it.

As for the amount of pay these factories paid, I'd imagine with nothing else existing in these towns these people were quite content with their $7-10/hr jobs. Considering there's nothing there for them now, they'd be happy with minimum wage jobs.

(CSpindizzy @ May 9 said:
The government can't keep jobs from going overseas? Then why did after NAFTA and CAFTA are these companies flocking away? Something invisible must have forced these companies to stay until a government action opened the flood gates.

The government 'interferes' with private industry on a daily basis. Actually the corporate welfare system is a joke. Do you know you're paying a huge chunk of tax payer dollars to offer incentives and breaks for oil companies to spur growth and new production? All while the fatcats are getting $400 million retirement bonuses. Funny how the GOP claims to be capitalistic but yet they do more to dump tax dollars into the private sector than the Dems do to regulate it.

As for the amount of pay these factories paid, I'd imagine with nothing else existing in these towns these people were quite content with their $7-10/hr jobs. Considering there's nothing there for them now, they'd be happy with minimum wage jobs.

NAFTA and CAFTA aren't examples of government doing anything but letting the free market work. Sure if we tax any imports to the hilt our nation can have plenty of factory jobs. This isn't the way our nation became wealthy. We were once an agricultural nation and with progress all those jobs were lost. The key is to adapt and become skilled. If someone lives in a town with a population of 2,000 they shouldn't be shocked when a factory closes. A individual has to weigh those factors when making a choice in careers.

About the GOP giving money away, I agree. (I'm a Republican btw) The National GOP is doing a poor job of promoting fiscal conservative values.

VN Store

Back