si.com's Preseason Bowl Projections...

While I admire Stewart Mandel's writing, I feel that his predictions are a little out of whack as far as the SEC teams go. He has Texas A&M going to the Capital One Bowl while Georgia goes to the Outback Bowl. Meanwhile USCe is in the Sugar Bowl as an At-Large. If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the loser of the SECCG go to the Cap One Bowl? If so, UGA should be in the Cap One.

Stanford, huh? The Big-10 is so weak; who's going to beat an average OSU team? I expect whoever plays the SEC champ is going to get drilled once again...

6-6 sounds about right, looking at our schedule. Living near memphis, that would be as convenient as a bowl trip could get but I'd love to see an upset or two and a bigger bowl for the vols.

If I'm not mistaken, doesn't the loser of the SECCG go to the Cap One Bowl? If so, UGA should be in the Cap One.

That's a preference, but not a guarantee. South Carolina played in the Chick-Fil-A in 2010 and UGA went to the Outback in 2011.

I think Mandel is assuming that the Cap One would try to avoid having UGA two years in a row.

I'll take a bowl game period because that means we are doing something our past few coaches never did..make progress. For some reason I suspect before the end of this decade, CFB will do away with all these trash bowl games and expand the playoff to 10 or 12. The players have said it before, they play large playoff brackets in high school and the nfl so its not something they can't physically do...

For some reason I suspect before the end of this decade, CFB will do away with all these trash bowl games...

I wish I thought the same way, but there will likely be more crap bowls going forward. The non-power conferences are setting up their own bowls, and I don't see them willingly giving those up.

I wish I thought the same way, but there will likely be more crap bowls going forward. The non-power conferences are setting up their own bowls, and I don't see them willingly giving those up.

This. Didn't ESPN create a couple more lower level bowls like two weeks ago?

I just want to make a bowl game so the 2014 EEs can come get their feet wet in the bowl practices.

I guess I'm just out of step, but I have no problem with lots of bowls. The fans love to see their teams play the communities make a few bucks and the coaches get some extra practice time for their squads. No one is forced to buy a ticket or watch the game on tv so what's the harm. Plus, I'm a college football junkie and I just love watching games.

Reactions: 4 people
Bowl practice would be in 2013. EEs show up in January of 2014.

You're right but JUCOs can sometimes sign in December and practice with the team.

Well, wait. I thought Bray practiced with UT during December before the Chick Fila game Kiffin's year. He didn't enroll until January. He couldn't go to the bowl and don't think he could enroll but had some exception for a few practices I thought.

Edit: I thought EEs could sign their letter after finals in December maybe and that's how he could. Maybe it is just JUCOs and I am remembering wrong. Seems like guys aren't actually signing till Feb even though committed/same as signed as enrolled. Well, crap, now I am just lost

Last edited:

I see that side as well, but when you are breaking even or even losing money to play in a bowl game after you factor in bonuses, asst's pay, travel expenses, etc. then it no longer becomes viable. If you have never been to a bowl game at this point, get the hell out of D1 football. I just don't see the appeal to a school like MTSU who's best shot at going to a bowl involves winning the Sun Belt, at which point they can only play in the New Orleans bowl. How many R+L NOLA trophies do you really need? There is one trophy in CFB, the crystal ball, and if you aren't chasing that then WTF are you doing?

VN Store

Back