Signing Day thread...

Freak

VolNation's Grand Poobah
Staff member
For those who don't frequent the recruiting forum, here's a link to today's Signing Day tracker.

You are missing the point
I'm not. Arch Manning's Dad has commercials with Draft Kings with his family.

Cooper never played a down of college football. He'd be nobody but the Dad of a good football player if his name wasn't Manning.

Those are the breaks in life. Some people are famous without trying AND some get rich easier than others. I'm not jealous of Cooper, Arch, or Brock Purdy. Good for all of them.

If someone told you life was fair, they lied.

It’s blows me away that Tennessee doesn’t average a top 5 or 10 class every year. I realize what’s been produced on the field over the last decade is subpar but our place is beautiful, our facilities are outstanding, Rocky top is known around the world!!

Reactions: Volfan1000
In the recent past (pre NIL days) Oregon's signing class has been rated in the low teens most years. Don't know where they stand now but earlier today they were number three for this year's signing class and they had commitments from at least five highly rated players from the portal.

Anybody doubt NIL money was the main factor in this change?

Reactions: JohnWardForever
Misleading.

Comparing Purdy's NFL salary WITHOUT his NIL to Arch Manning's ZERO salary and $3.2M NIL.

I've no idea what Purdy makes from endorsements and NIL, but I'm sure he's got deals and commercials and such.
Anyone have links to all the endorsements Arch Manning did during the year to earn his $3.2 mil? Maybe local TV commercials, or branded clothing. Anything?

There should be zero regulation on what someone can make on NIl

For situations where it is truly the person that is generating the dollars, I would agree. But that is not what is being created to support "buying the players". Eventually the money will stop flowing into the AD which will result with less improvements to facilities, less support for non-revenue generating sports, etc. Some folks are just shifting what they would have donated to the AD to the collectives. It will eventually take its toll and the effect will be felt elsewhere.

This is all about his last name and the success that his grandfather and uncles have had. At some point he will get his chance to prove whether he is worth that or not.

There is also taxes on that - hope he has a good financial accountant or most of the money will be paid out in taxes.

To me this is now all about getting the right players at the right time verses whatever the ranking was for a specific year. The days of a team stockpiling 4 and 5 stars on the bench where they will wait their turn is going away. The really good players who believe they are NFL bound who do not make an impact within the first two years will more than likely show up on the transfer portal.

The more important stat is going to become the one related to "retention" of players that a team really needs over the 3 to 4 years they will participate at the college level.

Reactions: Chad F
It’s blows me away that Tennessee doesn’t average a top 5 or 10 class every year. I realize what’s been produced on the field over the last decade is subpar but our place is beautiful, our facilities are outstanding, Rocky top is known around the world!!
I see where the NCAA has sent a letter to Michigan list recruiting violations. We don't need any more of those . ( think we are making progress in building our program and . hopefully , doing it without having to go through any more NCAA problems. I, for one, am satisfied with the progress we are making. It just takes a little time to get it done. We are improving and will to do so. We got a lot of very good talent the last two years.

I see where the NCAA has sent a letter to Michigan list recruiting violations. We don't need any more of those . ( think we are making progress in building our program and . hopefully , doing it without having to go through any more NCAA problems. I, for one, am satisfied with the progress we are making. It just takes a little time to get it done. We are improving and will to do so. We got a lot of very good talent the last two years.
Where is your closed parenthesis? Your sub thought is still running rampant and it’s stressing me out

Anyone have links to all the endorsements Arch Manning did during the year to earn his $3.2 mil? Maybe local TV commercials, or branded clothing. Anything?
Only the card deal with the same company as Ewers, and Manning donated the auction money to charity.

Manning could, and would if I was running the ad end of the Manning brand, show up in commercials with his family.

ESPN would eat it up and the thought of Archie throwing in one of those silly Dr Pepper halftime things against Peyton's kid Marshall could be Super Bowl commercial gold. Archie losing and Peyton saying, "Better luck next year, Dad...."

This is all about his last name and the success that his grandfather and uncles have had. At some point he will get his chance to prove whether he is worth that or not.

There is also taxes on that - hope he has a good financial accountant or most of the money will be paid out in taxes.
Hehehehe. Have you ever complained about making money because of the taxes you'll pay on it? That's crazy.

His Dad is a multimillionaire entrepreneur and his uncles are worth over $100M each, surely.

I'll bet their tax accountant has a very, very nice carpet in his office. My Dad always told me: check the carpet in your attorney's and accountant's office. Cheap carpet.....get out of there as fast as you can.

The whole NIL/NFL dichotomy is going to spin out of control. It’s about to reach the unsustainable level.
It already has. Whichever boosters/businesses are carrying the load of donations aren’t going to keep throwing this much money at it forever. I think right now is the sweet spot to be a college athlete. In 5-10 years I doubt you’ll see the amount of money being tossed around to 18 year olds right now. But we’ll see.

Hehehehe. Have you ever complained about making money because of the taxes you'll pay on it? That's crazy.

His Dad is a multimillionaire entrepreneur and his uncles are worth over $100M each, surely.

I'll bet their tax accountant has a very, very nice carpet in his office. My Dad always told me: check the carpet in your attorney's and accountant's office. Cheap carpet.....get out of there as fast as you can.

I do complain about taxes though. It was a rude awakening when I first entered the job market. You think, I am making X dollars per hour - so my paycheck will equal X dollars times the hours worked. NOPE. And then every April you have to hope what was taken out was enough or you pay more.

It already has. Whichever boosters/businesses are carrying the load of donations aren’t going to keep throwing this much money at it forever. I think right now is the sweet spot to be a college athlete. In 5-10 years I doubt you’ll see the amount of money being tossed around to 18 year olds right now. But we’ll see.

Agree - eventually there will be a reconciliation between the financial impact of the association with the various businesses. There is no way some of these deals are making that much money for the business. And there is also the wildcard - being associated with someone who well, does something that impacts the image of the business followed by the business walking away.

It is all crazy right now. They are taking chances on players who may end up sitting on the bench and never making an impact. There is the expectation this will make money for the businesses as well.

When they figure out that most consumers are not going to buy something because an athlete tells them to, the price point will change. They are banking on some of these players being able to transform into a Manning, Brady, etc. Most will not.

Reactions: RockyTop140
I do complain about taxes though. It was a rude awakening when I first entered the job market. You think, I am making X dollars per hour - so my paycheck will equal X dollars times the hours worked. NOPE. And then every April you have to hope what was taken out was enough or you pay more.
If they could tax the air they would.

VN Store

Back