Similar vibe to 1995?

Boca Vol

Originally from Exit 81
Lab Rat
Not sure, yet, but this has a very similar feel to '95 with a young QB playing very well and the other parts firing as well.

Let light the scoreboard up, and ride this to the playoffs.

Reactions: njvols
50 points is 50 points but we have a lot to clean up. Ive never seen a team score that many points and still look like they aren’t clicking on offense. One more week and the real schedule starts.

50 points is 50 points but we have a lot to clean up. Ive never seen a team score that many points and still look like they aren’t clicking on offense. One more week and the real schedule starts.
Did we watch the same game? Other than a couple of plays and a bogus intelligible receiver penalty the offense looked to be running pretty smooth especially considering it's only the freshmans third start

You need to rewatch the game away from the emotion of the moment. Offense looked really good. They left a lot on the table and still looked really really good.

Did we watch the same game? Other than a couple of plays and a bogus intelligible receiver penalty the offense looked to be running pretty smooth especially considering it's only the freshmans third start
I told someone last night it felt like be played a B, maybe B- game in terms of execution. That should put a scare into the rest of our scheduled opponents. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be the one to catch our “A” game.

I agree. When we were up 17-3 I felt like we were lucky it wasn’t 10-10 or worse.

Reactions: Dansky and FLVOL_79
Nico didn’t look comfortable to me. Fortunately, our OL gave him a lot of time, but he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker. If he holds it as long as he did last night against a good defense he’s going to get blasted.

You need to rewatch the game away from the emotion of the moment. Offense looked really good. They left a lot on the table and still looked really really good.
I personally look forward to the rewatch

Nico didn’t look comfortable to me. Fortunately, our OL gave him a lot of time, but he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker. If he holds it as long as he did last night against a good defense he’s going to get blasted.
Didn't get that at all...looked very comfortable too me

Reactions: bpalmer28
I personally look forward to the rewatch

Offense put up 44 points. Nico did hold the ball too long several times instead of taking what the D was giving him. One INT was a poor decision, the other was a hit. 250 yds rushing, 200 passing. Not a bad day at the office. And we did plenty wrong, left points on the field, mainly with the INT possessions. We only punted one time!

What on earth was that #66 Ineligble Downfield flag that took away Nicos awesome 60yd TD pass? Watched the entire OL 3 times and none of them went downfield. Had to be just a sheer "cover for this blowout" call by one of the refs.

What on earth was that #66 Ineligble Downfield flag that took away Nicos awesome 60yd TD pass? Watched the entire OL 3 times and none of them went downfield. Had to be just a sheer "cover for this blowout" call by one of the refs.
I think the refs were trying to stop the over from hitting for vegas. Was setup to be a clear under game after 1 half

I think they can only go 1 yard over the line of scrimmage. They were 2-3 yards Downfield. Nobody’s fault really, they blocked forever and had their backs turned to the qb.

We need to enjoy Nico for who he is. He might be Hooker and Manning rolled into one. Or Saturday might be typical for him and that should also be fine. Either way he is a danged good QB that gives us a chance to win almost every game. We shouldn't go around acting like he's some slouch performer when we score 44 offensive points. That is a good way not to enjoy what we have. He's a playmaker.

We were the better team and did what we should have. The defense is legit but the offense missed some. We used the TE’s well and that was good to see but the wide receivers had less than 150 yards as a unit. I hope it was just the 3-3-5 defense we went against because for us to beat the big boys we have to blow the top of the defense at times or they are gonna jam the box. Nico ran really well but I think we can agree he won’t do that against the top of the SEC.

I think they can only go 1 yard over the line of scrimmage. They were 2-3 yards Downfield. Nobody’s fault really, they blocked forever and had their backs turned to the qb.
It’s not supposed to be flagged until they are 3 yards or more past the LOS, nobody was further than 2 when the ball was thrown. It was a bad call.

I agree. We didn’t have the long passes that everyone is used to. But we ran and took what they gave us. We threw under the coverage and still dominated a team that they thought might give us a game. GBO

I have to disagree, the passing game didn't look good at all. The running game was great but the down field passing wasn't clicking. With that being said once it all comes together this is a championship team

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I take what @volKano is saying as a positive. Relative to their potential, the offense didn’t play particularly well, and yet they dominated what I still think is a decent defense.

Deboer said in his presser that he thought they did well against our spread…and they did. The vertical passing game wasn’t there for the most part. We adapted and killed them with the run game, tight ends, and some underneath stuff to Squirrel. Think about that. A respected defensive coordinator gameplanned for our offense, and to some degree, his gameplan was effective, and we still dropped 44 points on them (credit the defense for giving the offense a short field a lot). All this while our qb made some brilliant plays and at other times played like a redshirt freshman.

The ceiling for this offense is so high, and it’s going to get better and better. Consider that by the TSIO, Nico will have more than DOUBLE the game experience he has now. Good time to be a Vol.

The only reason anyone felt this way is because we all wanted to see Nico repeat his week 1 performance, and he didn't. That was never going to happen against a P4 3-3-5 defense.

Our offense was exceptional. Much like the Iowa game, we did exactly what you hope to see from your coaches and QB: take what the defense gives you.

Yall want to sell out to stop our passing game? Good call, but let me introduce you to a guy named Dylan Sampson.

Got him figured out now too? Nice, but we call this play a "short cross to the TE"

Got everyone where the need to be now? Here, have a shovel pass.

Phenomenal offensive showing.

Last edited:
For a smidgen of perspective, consider the following two points:

That 41-point margin of victory was the third-largest in Tennessee football history vs. an AP-ranked opponent.
In the last three games, Tennessee has outscored the opposition 155-13, with the least experienced version of Nico we will ever see. Regardless of the opposition, I strongly suspect that a comparable scenario has not transpired in Big Orange history.

In college ball, a linemen can go as far as 3 yards downfield on a pass play....In the NFL, it's 1 yard downfield.

I've watched the film again and it appears none of our linemen went beyond the 3 yard limit...Even the announcers could not find anyone beyond the 3 yard limit...

image-placeholder-title.jpg

VN Store

Back