Similar vibe to 1995?

Not trying to take anything from anybody but to me this game looked closer than what the score was till midway through the 3rd quarter. After that the wheels fell off NC State. The wheels fell off, I believe, because of the defensive pressure. Our defense playing like this is what we’ve been looking for since CJH has been here

I take what @volKano is saying as a positive. Relative to their potential, the offense didn’t play particularly well, and yet they dominated what I still think is a decent defense.

Deboer said in his presser that he thought they did well against our spread…and they did. The vertical passing game wasn’t there for the most part. We adapted and killed them with the run game, tight ends, and some underneath stuff to Squirrel. Think about that. A respected defensive coordinator gameplanned for our offense, and to some degree, his gameplan was effective, and we still dropped 44 points on them (credit the defense for giving the offense a short field a lot). All this while our qb made some brilliant plays and at other times played like a redshirt freshman.

The ceiling for this offense is so high, and it’s going to get better and better. Consider that by the TSIO, Nico will have more than DOUBLE the game experience he has now. Good time to be a Vol.
I agree. It’ll come down to how quickly we can pull it together to reach our potential. I think we can beat OU still below our offensive potential for sure. But it better be running A level to beat Bama and Georgia. But I believe there’s enough time to get there for sure.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
I told someone last night it felt like be played a B, maybe B- game in terms of execution. That should put a scare into the rest of our scheduled opponents. I sure as heck wouldn’t want to be the one to catch our “A” game.

This is the way I saw it.

A on Defense.

B on offense. Did some really good things and some not-so-good things.

Vols likely beat any team in the country with two As.

Nico didn’t look comfortable to me. Fortunately, our OL gave him a lot of time, but he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker. If he holds it as long as he did last night against a good defense he’s going to get blasted.

The Cover-8 took away his primary option a lot.

Reactions: bpalmer28
The only reason anyone felt this way is because we all wanted to see Nico repeat his week 1 performance, and he didn't. That was never going to happen against a P4 3-3-5 defense.

Our offense was exceptional. Much like the Iowa game, we did exactly what you hope to see from your coaches and QB: take what the defense gives you.

Yall want to sell out to stop our passing game? Good call, but let me introduce you to a guy named Dylan Sampson.

Got him figured out now too? Nice, but we call this play a "short cross to the TE"

Got everyone where the need to be now? Here, have a shovel pass.

Phenomenal offensive showing.
Please post more often.

solid post on your part.

We were the better team and did what we should have. The defense is legit but the offense missed some. We used the TE’s well and that was good to see but the wide receivers had less than 150 yards as a unit. I hope it was just the 3-3-5 defense we went against because for us to beat the big boys we have to blow the top of the defense at times or they are gonna jam the box. Nico ran really well but I think we can agree he won’t do that against the top of the SEC.
8 for 65 is doable vs anyone on our schedule by the time he gets to the big dogs he will have much more experience and confidence…

We were the better team and did what we should have. The defense is legit but the offense missed some. We used the TE’s well and that was good to see but the wide receivers had less than 150 yards as a unit. I hope it was just the 3-3-5 defense we went against because for us to beat the big boys we have to blow the top of the defense at times or they are gonna jam the box. Nico ran really well but I think we can agree he won’t do that against the top of the SEC.
I don't agree I think he will run effectively against top middle and bottom of the SEC

In college ball, a linemen can go as far as 3 yards downfield on a pass play....In the NFL, it's 1 yard downfield.

I've watched the film again and it appears none of our linemen went beyond the 3 yard limit...Even the announcers could not find anyone beyond the 3 yard limit...

image-placeholder-title.jpg
BS call , ref screwed the pooch

50 points is 50 points but we have a lot to clean up. Ive never seen a team score that many points and still look like they aren’t clicking on offense. One more week and the real schedule starts.
May be time to see what our two Freshmen can do, but we may want to spring them against Oklahoma in two weeks.

Nico didn’t look comfortable to me. Fortunately, our OL gave him a lot of time, but he’s got to get rid of the ball quicker. If he holds it as long as he did last night against a good defense he’s going to get blasted.

I think Nico summed up what he did in the post game interview. I think he came out trying to show off and get long passes. Once he settled down and "took what the defense gave him" instead of trying to make plays, he looked sharp. Great learning experience for him. This guy is legit.

Same here…with the exception of when he got blasted on the right side, which caused that second pick. I think Campbell was responsible for that.

I take what @volKano is saying as a positive. Relative to their potential, the offense didn’t play particularly well, and yet they dominated what I still think is a decent defense.

Deboer said in his presser that he thought they did well against our spread…and they did. The vertical passing game wasn’t there for the most part. We adapted and killed them with the run game, tight ends, and some underneath stuff to Squirrel. Think about that. A respected defensive coordinator gameplanned for our offense, and to some degree, his gameplan was effective, and we still dropped 44 points on them (credit the defense for giving the offense a short field a lot). All this while our qb made some brilliant plays and at other times played like a redshirt freshman.

The ceiling for this offense is so high, and it’s going to get better and better. Consider that by the TSIO, Nico will have more than DOUBLE the game experience he has now. Good time to be a Vol.
Thank you. Definitely wasn’t bashing. I just think we can be better if we clean up a few things.

Not sure, yet, but this has a very similar feel to '95 with a young QB playing very well and the other parts firing as well.

Let light the scoreboard up, and ride this to the playoffs.
Probably the biggest difference is we have a DC today that attacks offenses vs. just defending.

VN Store

Back