Smokescreen???

alldayvols

Does anyone get this vibe from yesterday's game?

Particularly the diversity of the play calling in terms of running the ball and Justin Worley TRYING not to be accurate. For example, on his first passing play he threw it straight to the ground 3 yards in front of the receiver AND the receiver was maybe 8 yards in front of him. Running wise we ran the same few plays at least 8-12 times.

The defense was "gassed" after 7 minutes into the first quarter? I don't buy that nor do I buy that they were not in place for tackles. They had all summer running against the fast-pace offense and knew how to cover and process technique at a high rate.

We all know that non-sec games are not as important as SEC games but honestly was Oregon the best we could do or will we see that against Florida?

Reactions: 1 person
I think the play calling is just that bad. I thought the first few games we were saving something, but now it just seems like that's all we will do.

spyhuntersmokescreen.jpg

Reactions: 5 people

Particularly the diversity of the play calling in terms of running the ball and Justin Worley TRYING not to be accurate. For example, on his first passing play he threw it straight to the ground 3 yards in front of the receiver AND the receiver was maybe 8 yards in front of him. Running wise we ran the same few plays at least 8-12 times.

The defense was "gassed" after 7 minutes into the first quarter? I don't buy that nor do I buy that they were not in place for tackles. They had all summer running against the fast-pace offense and knew how to cover and process technique at a high rate.

We all know that non-sec games are not as important as SEC games but honestly was Oregon the best we could do or will we see that against Florida?

sneakie coaches (( sure got everyone fooled :whistling:))

I think the play calling is just that bad. I thought the first few games we were saving something, but now it just seems like that's all we will do.

I was thinking the same thing until I just heard Butch say we lost all 3 slot guys forcing them to change the game plan on Wednesday. Vanilla was all they had to go with.

Coach Gruden wanted UT to look bad so that we would really ready to adopt his philosophies. The Plane is circling McGhee-Tyson and a presser announcing him will be held at 4pm today.

:horse:

EDIT: Should be made very clear for some of the 13 year olds on here, that I AM JOKING. You kids should log off VolNation and go work on your homework anyway.

Not sure what you would have us do . We have a QB that cannot execute basic throws . We have no deep threat and no intermediate threat . The receivers are freshmen and walk-ons who do not help the QB

Ohhhh...run the ball you say . Well the defense is keying on that because they know what I just told you above.

By this logic that I keep seeing thrown around ...it is a simple as 'just run the ball'. There is more to it than that . By this logic , there would be no forward passing game. Everyone would use the ol..just run the ball. Why not ? It is higher percentage ?

We have to pass the ball to be able to just run the ball . We dont even have to pass with any degree of excellance ...we just have to be serviceable. When we do that , the defense will not be able to key on the run and secure all the gaps. ...and we will be able to 'just run the ball' . Like everyone else , we must get a close to a balanced offense as possible. When we do this , the short passing game ( an extension of the running game) will open up as well. If a D is free to stuff the run ...they will stuff the short passing game. Again , we must develop an intermediate passing game and at least a deep threat to be able to do these things.

Last edited:
Coach Gruden wanted UT to look bad so that we would really ready to adopt his philosophies. The Plane is circling McGhee-Tyson and a presser announcing him will be held at 4pm today.

:horse:

EDIT: Should be made very clear for some of the 13 year olds on here, that I AM JOKING. You kids should log off VolNation and go work on your homework anyway.

Awesome...We are really hiring Gruden? Oh, wait. I get it now.

Not sure what you would have us do . We have a QB that cannot execute basic throws . We have no deep threat and no intermediate threat . The receivers are freshmen and walk-ons who do not help the QB

Ohhhh...run the ball you say . Well the defense is keying on that because they know what I just told you above.

By this logic that I keep seeing thrown around ...it is a simple as 'just run the ball'. There is more to it than that . By this logic , there would be no forward passing game. Everyone would use the ol..just run the ball. Why not ? It is higher percentage ?

We have to pass the ball to be able to just run the ball . We dont even have to pass with any degree of excellance ...we just have to be serviceable. When we do that , the defense will not be able to key on the run and secure all the gaps. ...and we will be able to 'just run the ball' . Like everyone else , we must get a close to a balanced offense as possible. When we do this , the short passing game ( an extension of the running game) will open up as well. If a D is free to stuff the run ...they will stuff the short passing game. Again , we must develop an intermediate passing game and at least a deep threat to be able to do these things.

Good post.

If we tanked on purpose in a point shaving scandal........ lol I seriously hope I just misunderstood OP. Incomplete passes on purpose, missing blocking assignments, & letting Ducks fly in open space intentionally seems beyond far fetched to me. Especially with a competitive guy like Butch who has found a way to win eventually everywhere he goes.

With the qb we have to work with there's not much we can do in the way of passing unfortunately. I'm not sure. I'm just tired of seeing us line up in a dual threat qb scheme without the dual threat qb. At least put peterman in with the green light to run. If it doesn't work what have we lost.

LOL, seriously? This thread is priceless.....

VN Store

Back