So 10 walkons are no longer on the roster

If a competent new HC can improve the pool of walk-ons from a former pool that was assembled by the previous pathetic, loser HC - I say thank you. If any of the former walk-ons can prove themselves worthy of wearing the orange during live practices they are probably being invited back by Jones. This isn't middle school football where everybody gets to play no matter how talented they are.

Reactions: 1 person
If a competent new HC can improve the pool of walk-ons from a former pool that was assembled by the previous pathetic, loser HC - I say thank you. If any of the former walk-ons can prove themselves worthy of wearing the orange during live practices they are probably being invited back by Jones. This isn't middle school football where everybody gets to play no matter how talented they are.
We're talking about scout team guys, not guys who are actually gonna play.
Posted via VolNation Mobile

And walk ons leave the program every off season. We just usually don't hear anything about it.

As someone who has kept a pretty close eye on the roster the last few years, I can confirm walk-ons come and go frequently.

Unfortunately in the last few years, so do scholarship players. :dry:

The one's that left can say it was due to injury and still get in free to all of the Frat parties and use their "former status" to bang hot chicks on campus

Gotta make room for better players. :yes: Walkons will be few and far between at Tennessee in the future.

Last edited:
How would losing walk ons have any effect on this?

The post I responded to looked like this...

Originally Posted by LWSVOL
its normal for new coaching staffs to remove players, walkons and scholarship players. its more normal for some players to leave on their own

Nope not normal

..so his post emphasized that it was not normal for a new coaching staff to remove scholarship players.

To which I disagreed.

The post I responded to looked like this...

Originally Posted by LWSVOL
its normal for new coaching staffs to remove players, walkons and scholarship players. its more normal for some players to leave on their own

Nope not normal

..so his post emphasized that it was not normal for a new coaching staff to remove scholarship players.

To which I disagreed.

just an fyi, it helps it you quote the post you're responding to. What you did was mix up 2 separate posts while attributing them to one poster which caused the confusion

You quoted yourself and then a Pantera song.

A sign of a good night, I guess.

And got "likes" for it. :)

In a thread about scrub walkons not being on the roster, I'd say Pantera lyrics qualify as a deep thought. Posting in multiple tabs is serious business.

Re ..... Spect ...... Walk

re-spect-walk-o.gif

Best heavy metal band from the 90's!!!!! :rock:

Gotta make room for better players. :yes: Walkons will be few and far between at Tennessee in the future.

Scholarship limits mean you always need walk-ons to fill practice roles at the very least.

With an 85 scholarship maximum, there are usually around 30 walk-ons. This brings the total roster to around 115 players. At least, this is what I've observed in the last few years.

If you mean Tennessee should be able to maintain at or very near to the scholarship limit for a while, I agree, but even then you still need walk-ons. Those guys can be very valuable to a team.

Walk-ons typically man the scout teams. The quality of your scout teams can often have a big impact on game preparation. Occasionally a scout team guy will be good enough to dress out, make the traveling team, or even get playing time. But their primary role is to make the starters better.

If I am not mistaken there is a limit on the number of players total you can have including walk-ons.

Walk-ons typically man the scout teams. The quality of your scout teams can often have a big impact on game preparation. Occasionally a scout team guy will be good enough to dress out, make the traveling team, or even get playing time. But their primary role is to make the starters better.

If I am not mistaken there is a limit on the number of players total you can have including walk-ons.
I think it's 115 total including walk ons.

They're also there to basically get beat up by superior athletes on a day-to-day basis. Many will leave of their own accord simply because they decide that grind is not worth it.

Reactions: 1 person
trying to get rid of all less than talanted walk on's for players like devon swafford and more room for better players

How would dumping walkons affect incoming scholarship players?

2014 recruits wouldn't affect it yet, but you can only have 95 guys at summer practice. If they are bringing in some "preferred" walk-ons they have to make room for them.

VN Store

Back