So long Pac-12 (Not so fast my friend!)

TrueOrange

The PAC-12 Network aired this tribute to the league and its history following the its final coverage of a conference game.

As the tweet says, consider it a league obituary.

Reactions: Vol in Buckeye Land
Still need 2 more schools

I would make a hard pass at Cal & Stanford. they get full media payouts, reduce travel expenses, and have a nice new vs old set up. granted I am not sure how iron tight the ACC deal is with them as new and partial participants.

maybe SMU under the same thought as above, and maybe like Rice to have two in Texas.

Reactions: VolNExile
I would make a hard pass at Cal & Stanford. they get full media payouts, reduce travel expenses, and have a nice new vs old set up. granted I am not sure how iron tight the ACC deal is with them as new and partial participants.

maybe SMU under the same thought as above, and maybe like Rice to have two in Texas.

I'm definitely wondering if somehow Cal and Stanford come back into the fold and I'm not sure the ACC would be too heartbroken about it either. Remember it barely passed to allow them in. I could see some buyer's remorse. The key is going to be the TV deal however.

Reactions: LouderVol
Welp, that's basically it for the Mountain West, right? Even if the PAC-12 isn't really the same PAC-12, it's bound to be a better financial proposition than a shrinking Mountain West. Nevada and UNLV next.

It won't be a Power 5 league, but it could be a solid G5. Nevada and/or UNLV sound like good adds. New Mexico or Wyoming could give them more markets (albeit small).

Air Force could be a great addition.

Last edited:
I'm definitely wondering if somehow Cal and Stanford come back into the fold and I'm not sure the ACC would be too heartbroken about it either. Remember it barely passed to allow them in. I could see some buyer's remorse. The key is going to be the TV deal however.
Did Cal and Stanford and SMU sign in on the Grant of Rights the ACC has?

If they let them leave and not FSU and Clemson, their lawyers will be salivating to get a piece of the ACC.

Reactions: Smallvol#1
That elitism alone is why they won't rejoin.
True, but don’t you think the administrations at these prestigious institutions, who put such an emphasis on taking care of the planet , maybe should consider reducing their athletic carbon footprint instead of taking the bigger $ from a conference across the country? Yeah I don’t see it happening either .

The Mountain West will have to consider making a run at North Dakota State. Maybe Idaho or Montana.

I am surprised the PAC 2 can pull teams from the Mountain West. I would expect it to be the other way around. Apple TV was the offer the PAC 12 accepted. Surely MW could have struck a deal with Hulu or Amazon.

I've wondered if any conference has ever considered adding a school from Canada.

The University of BC is something over 50,000 students and being in Vancouver fits the traditional PAC 8/10/12 footprint better than Memphis or somewhere like that. And it certainly would open a new media market.

Reactions: LoudOrange
The Mountain West will have to consider making a run at North Dakota State. Maybe Idaho or Montana.
Is that process complicated any more by the fact they'd be moving from FCS to FBS? It seems like there's usually some kind of transition period where they compete as an independent for a year or two then join a conference.

VN Store

Back