So long Pac-12 (Not so fast my friend!)

I'm really curious the financials of this: Why couldn't the MWC and "Pac-12" merge and form the Pac-14 or something, keeping the history and having the name prestige? That makes way more sense to me than what is currently happening.
I thought the same thing. They need 2 more to be "NCAA official" anyway - why not take a couple Mountain West schools?

I thought the same thing. They need 2 more to be "NCAA official" anyway - why not take a couple Mountain West schools?

Plus Oregon State and Washington State would be eligible for the playoffs quicker that way than what they have decided. Oregon State has a good team and could easily be the G5 rep in the playoffs. And if the name is important, then as part of the agreement just merge and call it the Pac-14 or something. I don't really understood taking four MWC schools and how that benefits everyone financially than what I have previously said

Reactions: 05_never_again
Plus Oregon State and Washington State would be eligible for the playoffs quicker that way than what they have decided. Oregon State has a good team and could easily be the G5 rep in the playoffs. And if the name is important, then as part of the agreement just merge and call it the Pac-14 or something. I don't really understood taking four MWC schools and how that benefits everyone financially than what I have previously said
I understand the four that they took...just was curious why they didn't take 2 more or just do a full-blown merger. Maybe something else is in the works, I dunno.

Still need 2 more schools

Well if the ACC implodes, Stanford and Cal would look like pretty good adds. Other possibles.... Air Force and UNLV or Wyoming.

I've wondered if any conference has ever considered adding a school from Canada.

The University of BC is something over 50,000 students and being in Vancouver fits the traditional PAC 8/10/12 footprint better than Memphis or somewhere like that. And it certainly would open a new media market.
Canadian rules football or American rules football might be an issue, though if Heupel could get an extra WR or TE on offense, I'm for it.

Well if the ACC implodes, Stanford and Cal would look like pretty good adds. Other possibles.... Air Force and UNLV or Wyoming.

Other than the fact they beat us after one of the saddest weeks of Vol football in memory-I have always been a supporter of Wyoming

They tick all the boxes-except a TV market to speak of.

Now that OU is in the SEC and no longer a viable "alternative" team to somewhat pull for-I believe I am gonna give the Cowboys their spot

Doesn't hurt that every time I have found myself having to stop in Laramie for a night or whatever I have enjoyed myself tremendously. Such a cool little town.

Other than the fact they beat us after one of the saddest weeks of Vol football in memory-I have always been a supporter of Wyoming

They tick all the boxes-except a TV market to speak of.

Now that OU is in the SEC and no longer a viable "alternative" team to somewhat pull for-I believe I am gonna give the Cowboys their spot

Doesn't hurt that every time I have found myself having to stop in Laramie for a night or whatever I have enjoyed myself tremendously. Such a cool little town.
Laramie is underrated as college towns go. All of Wyoming except the tourist Yellowstone area and the billionaire enclave of Jackson Hole is fabulous.

It could be because there's more pronghorn than people.

Laramie is underrated as college towns go. All of Wyoming except the tourist Yellowstone area and the billionaire enclave of Jackson Hole is fabulous.

It could be because there's more pronghorn than people.

Amen to that. Driving across that state in the summer/fall should be a must at some point in every persons life. Not so sure about the winters though.......

First time I ever stopped in Laramie for a night, I thought I had just gotten lucky as they were having a music festival downtown. Every time I have stopped in there for a night, there is always something going on though.

These days, whenever I am in that part of the country-I try to squeeze in a night there whenever I can.

Amen to that. Driving across that state in the summer/fall should be a must at some point in every persons life. Not so sure about the winters though.......

First time I ever stopped in Laramie for a night, I thought I had just gotten lucky as they were having a music festival downtown. Every time I have stopped in there for a night, there is always something going on though.

These days, whenever I am in that part of the country-I try to squeeze in a night there whenever I can.
I had family, a crusty old railroader, who lived near Thermopolis and some of their kin closer to Gillette.

Tough old buzzards who thought nothing of dispatching a rattler to paradise with a sidearm and not even pausing the conversation.

Good times. I'd love to get back one more time even though everyone's gone now.

Reactions: stolitonic
Kinda odd to break this type of news on a late Wednesday evening but okay lol.....I'm all for them (Oregon State & Wash St) trying to keep alive the legendary Pac 12 even if they are basically just raiding the Mountain West. It's never gonna be what it used to be when you loose schools like USC,UCLA, Oregon, Washington and Stanford but it can still be a solid slightly above mid major conference. San Diego State and Boise State are very good additions. I would also go after the likes of Wyoming, UNLV, Utah State and North Dakota State to name a couple.

Reactions: Plecoptera
I had family, a crusty old railroader, who lived near Thermopolis and some of their kin closer to Gillette.

Tough old buzzards who thought nothing of dispatching a rattler to paradise with a sidearm and not even pausing the conversation.

Good times. I'd love to get back one more time even though everyone's gone now.

Yup. Thermopolis and Gillette are up in the northern part of the state aren't they? That's Wyoming Wyoming up there ha ha.

Just never understood the lack of following for the Cowboys. Laramie itself is just two hours from Denver. On a major interstate. Pretty decent stadium. One of those situations where having no local TV market kills them.

Yup. Thermopolis and Gillette are up in the northern part of the state aren't they? That's Wyoming Wyoming up there ha ha.

Just never understood the lack of following for the Cowboys. Laramie itself is just two hours from Denver. On a major interstate. Pretty decent stadium. One of those situations where having no local TV market kills them.
The saying used to be about Gillette that "a jackrabbit needs to pack a lunch to get there." It's pretty desolate and I never experienced it but I'm told winter white outs, blowing snow with nothing for 100 miles to stop it, are vicious.

Laramie is kind of in-between the liberal craziness of Boulder and the LDS enclave of Salt Lake City, though I'm told things are loosening in SLC at least around UU. With the rise of the Utah program I think Wyoming has suffered with "bandwagon fan loss" but it's a really nice campus and town.

The saying used to be about Gillette that "a jackrabbit needs to pack a lunch to get there." It's pretty desolate and I never experienced it but I'm told winter white outs, blowing snow with nothing for 100 miles to stop it, are vicious.

Laramie is kind of in-between the liberal craziness of Boulder and the LDS enclave of Salt Lake City, though I'm told things are loosening in SLC at least around UU. With the rise of the Utah program I think Wyoming has suffered with "bandwagon fan loss" but it's a really nice campus and town.

Honestly man, haven't been to SLC other than connecting through the airport in like a decade.

For some reason, I never really felt "relaxed" in SLC. You had the ultra safe Mormons and their infrastructure contrasted by a city that had a pretty serious drug issues (meth and heroin). Combine all that with having to jump through hoops to get a glass of bourbon with my dinner. Nope.

Used to date a young lady whose family had a place in Park City-so that place was always more of my vibe honestly.

I remember a highway sign in Wyoming many years ago that said "No Gas next 100 miles". Now that's some open space...

Reactions: Smallvol#1
Is that process complicated any more by the fact they'd be moving from FCS to FBS? It seems like there's usually some kind of transition period where they compete as an independent for a year or two then join a conference.
Idaho already went FBS and voluntarily returned to FCS for finacial reasons mainly. Would they even be interested in returning to FBS. The grass ain't always greener. SDSU, NDSU, Montana, and Idaho are all very successful at FCS level.

Idaho already went FBS and voluntarily returned to FCS for finacial reasons mainly. Would they even be interested in returning to FBS. The grass ain't always greener. SDSU, NDSU, Montana, and Idaho are all very successful at FCS level.

Great post but note that typically FBS schools make more than FCS schools. Key is having a proper conference. Idaho didn't have a great home either (the only option was the Sunbelt which caused them to travel a lot). In the instance of a neighboring conference with logistically closer schools to play, I think Idaho would seriously consider it and jump back to FBS.

I watched a great video a while back about decline of College Football in California (it really focuses on the none Power 5 programs). The Western States really struggle due to the vast distances and cost to their programs. The NCAA rules hamper and hold them back. I think the NCAA could be more flexible with these programs to help the sport thrive there.

Reactions: GVF
There have also been a host of formerly FCS programs who transitioned to FBS and it appears to be working out (Liberty, Coastal Carolina, Georgia Southern, App State, James Madison, UT San Antonio, etc.). Idaho is the only school that I know of that has gone back to FCS from FBS, and they haven't been good since they went back to FCS either.

The main difficulty I can see for the Dakota/Montana schools is obviously recruiting. They are all located in such low population areas and they'll need to have deeper, more talented rosters. The other schools I mentioned who have successfully moved up, plus others, are in (or close to) higher population, good recruiting areas.

Reactions: GVF

VN Store

Back