So what's wrong with Pig?

Missed practice yesterday. Keep hearing vague details. Is he ok?

Only details I know are from tweets by Patrick Brown.

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 11 Sep

one item from #Vols practice: receiver Pig Howard neither dressed nor practiced. in the work he did on the side, he moved very gingerly.

Patrick Brown ‏@patrickbrownTFP 23h

I saw no noticeable brace or boot. he was limping significantly. RT @JonahJackson: @patrickbrownTFP didn't know he was hurt. Ankle, knee?

This was from Daniel Lewis:

Starter Pig Howard was held out of practice Wednesday with an unspecified injury.

Howard was not in pads and was working out gingerly on the sideline. Coach Butch Jones didn’t mention Howard’s injury during Tuesday’s media session and Jones doesn’t speak to the media after Tuesday.

Howard should be considered questionable for Oregon at this point.

• With Howard out of practice, sophomore receiver Johnathon Johnson was working as the starting slot receiver. Marquez North and Josh Smith were the starters at outside receivers. If that’s the starting lineup at Oregon, that will mean three first-year players are the starting receivers (Johnson is a junior college transfer).

UT practice notebook: Vols need young receivers to step up at Oregon | Nooga.com

My guess is that Pig was set out for resting a minor injury in order to not make it worse and will play...hopefully.

I dont see what the big deal is..Pig Howard has been a total nn facto for us so far...surely Johnson the JC transfer is better...he can't be any worse.

It's hard to do anything when there is a QB who can't get you the ball and like one play that was designed for you so far. It's unfair to say negative things about Pig.

That's my point. Pig made a great reception in AP game, and seems to be doing okay...or at least as okay as any of the WR, and he's the one guy with some experience.

I am of the opinion many of the people wanting to sideline every guy we're playing except true freshmen, only started watching football this year. They seem to think just cause a guy doesn't make a play, we couldn't do worse then put in the guy who is a complete noob in their place. There's a bit more to play D1 ball then being an athlete....there IS a learning curve. Not making a play can be bad, NOT knowing where the %$@*# your supposed to be on a play though can be catastrophic. You don't sideline people every time they come up short esp at start of the season, and esp when you have as little depth as we do atm. If a guy has experienced that's a rare commodity right now for us at some positions.

Last edited:
Reactions: 2 people
I dont see what the big deal is..Pig Howard has been a total nn facto for us so far...surely Johnson the JC transfer is better...he can't be any worse.

I agree with you. Pig gets lots of hype and is supposedly a playmaker but he really hasn't done much if you've watched the games or checked the stats. He's good for about 4 yards on an end around every once in a while and he never breaks a tackle, ever.

That's my point. Pig made a great reception in AP game, and seems to be doing okay...or at least as okay as any of the WR, and he's the one guy with some experience.

I am of the opinion many of the people wanting to sideline every guy we're playing except true freshmen, only started watching football this year. They seem to think just cause a guy doesn't make a play, we couldn't do worse then put in the guy who is a complete noob in their place. There's a bit more to play D1 ball then being an athlete....there IS a learning curve. Not making a play can be bad, NOT knowing where the %$@*# your supposed to be on a play though can be catastrophic. You don't sideline people every time they come up short esp at start of the season, and esp when you have as little depth as we do atm. If a guy has experienced that's a rare commodity right now for us at some positions.
I probably should've just quoted the other guy since I was agreeing with you.

Reactions: 2 people

Dude STFU!!! I hate people like you supporting mediocrity from ur players and coaches and then turning on the actual productive players such as AJ Johnson for example. Pig is overrated thus far....he has had ample chances to show what he can do with the ball in his hands...you would think he is the next CP the way people praise him on here....I am excited to se what Johnson is capable of.

I agree with you. Pig gets lots of hype and is supposedly a playmaker but he really hasn't done much if you've watched the games or checked the stats. He's good for about 4 yards on an end around every once in a while and he never breaks a tackle, ever.

Exactly, he is mediocre thus far wih the ball in his hands...i swear we have the dumbest fans on the planet...thy bash players such as AJ Johnson and sing nothing but praises for mediocre talents such as Worely and Pig Howard.

VN Store

Back